RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This month's Diesel Power Magazine is full of VM Motori. The cover article, which interests me (and probably the rest of us), is a head to head review of the new Ram 1500 Diesel, and the Ram 2500 diesel with the new rear suspension. This article should be available in the coming weeks since the magazine just got on she shelves and delivered to homes.

One thing they mentioned, they wanted to test 2 trucks that people would use both as daily drivers and to tow their boats/cars/campers etc. Both, to me, are impressive. One thing that worried me in the article, which I think they pushed the 1500 a little too far (towing at 105% of GCVW with 3.55 gears), is that it got hot going up a long grade that tops at 7%. They said that their foot was to the floor at 53 MPH and the temp rose to 244 degrees!! Knowing my VM, that is possible if they have the engine revving to it's redline. When I installed my transmission tune, which holds the gears better, the truck only got warm on long grades in hot weather with the AC on.

They were totally impressed with the truck. They averaged 22.83 mixed and 28.47 max MPG (5mph over posted limits of 75mph). I am quite impressed, since my Jeep doesn't do that well.

If you want to read it now, head to you news stands, or get a digital copy on your tablet. If you can wait, they usually put all their content online at some point.

Reactions: Buckaroo
P

·
0 Posts
I love the 28.4 mpg on the highway, sounds like they were driving down here in Atlanta. Avg left two lane speeds usually run around 75-80 on the southside of Atlanta, the poor suburban can barely keep up but luckily few want to mess with a mid 90s suburban.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Keep in mind the 28 plus miles per gallon were with professional drivers... but heck yeah, that's what we have all been waiting for, I read the issue last week when I got it in the mail.
Looks like the folks towing, the 392 will be the rear end of choice...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Keep in mind the 28 plus miles per gallon were with professional drivers... but heck yeah, that's what we have all been waiting for, I read the issue last week when I got it in the mail.
Looks like the folks towing, the 392 will be the rear end of choice...
the 3.92 got 26 mpg in a fully loaded Laramie with crew cab, rambox, air suspension, and 4x4. I'll take that all day in a Quad Cab Outdoorsman without the weight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts