RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Attached is a pic of it installed and the factory filter back system you remove.

Install is simple, 15mm on the clamps and slide off the hangers.

Noise difference? Hardly any change if any. Seat of the pants difference? None that I can tell. Looks? Almost the same out the rear, I am going with MBRP black tips.

Why would you purchase the kit? It has not been dyno'ed except for what MBRP tells us. I personally just like seeing that 55 gallon drum muffler off and the small resonators.

unnamed45_zpsb17d90ae.jpg

unnamed46_zps7bcb37ee.jpg

Thanks!
James
RSD

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for the honest review of the products you sell. It elicits a lot of respect

Reactions: Rollin Smoke Diesel

·
Registered
735 Posts
Has anyone bought one these filter back systems? I realize there is no perceptible performance or economy benefits to be had with them; however I don’t see the point in the stock muffler. My Outdoorsman has the single exhaust and I think the little “at an angle” resonator towards the back just looks silly, not to mention the heavy stock muffler cutting into my payload capacity, lol.

I’ll take the goofy resonator over some kind of drone caused by removing it all, so has anyone done the single exhaust and does it still sound quiet?

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
Has anyone bought one these filter back systems? I realize there is no perceptible performance or economy benefits to be had with them; however I don’t see the point in the stock muffler. My Outdoorsman has the single exhaust and I think the little “at an angle” resonator towards the back just looks silly, not to mention the heavy stock muffler cutting into my payload capacity, lol.

I’ll take the goofy resonator over some kind of drone caused by removing it all, so has anyone done the single exhaust and does it still sound quiet?
I also have a Tradesman with single pipe. I will most likely go for the single straight pipe just to get rid of the pile of unnecessary crap that is hanging under the truck. A little larger pipe wouldn't look bad either.
Thanks for the straight up info, Rollin Smoke. Just because it doesn't do anything won't keep you from selling them.. We motor head junkies have to get our fix. :cool:

·
Registered
735 Posts
I see the Diamond Eye system on RSD’s site comes with a little muffler, but no fancy tip, for about the same $$.

That is a mess of crap under there, lol. It is nearly comical seeing how important weight reduction is to Ram.

Ram’s response to customer trying to order a truck: What you want Ram boxes and the bench seat?! No No!, that weighs too much… sunroof too, forget about it, we have to put the 50 lb. muffler under there!!

·
Super Moderator
3,310 Posts
Do you know how much weight this saved?

·
Registered
735 Posts
The stock muffler is 27 Lbs, the stock single exhaust pipe past the muffler with resonator is 15 Lbs.

The 28” Diamond Eye muffler with exhaust pipe is ~25-27Lbs, so I saved ~15Lbs. The straight pipe system would be lighter, but I didn’t want to take a change and get a drone.

Actually the 28” Diamond Eye muffler was too long, the pictures online show something that looks like it is ~15” long. I just had to cut one inch off the entry end of the tail pipe and slot the intake pipe on the muffler (like the OEM muffler) to gain some more room and make it slide past the OEM muffler indexing protrusion. I didn’t use the straight pipe in the kit at all.

If you stand right at the exhaust at idle you can hear just a bit more thump out of it at idle, but other than that you wouldn’t know the difference, the under hood engine nose is louder than the exhaust when driving.
If you look in the OEM muffler you see what looks like a 2” hole separating the chambers, even though the inlet and outlets are 3”. I can’t see if there are more holes in the OEM muffler, so it is quite possible the Diamond Eye system flows better. You can’t see what is in the OEM resonator. The Diamond Eye muffler is just a straight through 3” glass-pack type.

Any gains? Meh? Maybe a bit more throttle response, but who can tell, maybe the psychological placebo effect? The aftermarket system looks better from the rear makes it a bit easier to get to the fuel filter from one side.

My guess is Ram uses the use the same single out muffler/tail pipe/resonator on the ED, Pentastar, and Hemi motors. The Hemi and Pentastar need the noise reduction, whereas the ED does not.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts