RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll post an intro later.

Just got my new intercooler pipes the other day, was wondering if anyone has installed them before or similar, and if you have any tips on removing the old hoses that come stock.

I want to save them as a backup if I need in the future.

Thanks!
-Cherry

·
Registered
735 Posts
The hot side pipe has 2 nuts holding that bracket that goes around the top of the plastic silencer. One of the nuts is obvious, the other is a bit hidden off to the left. The hot side's metal pipe has a clamp under the fiberglass heat wrap in the back close to the turbo, you have to peal the heat wrap back to get to the clamp. Take the hot side assembly apart at the joint above the silencer. It is a bit easier to work on the whole thing if you unbolt the oil filler from the valve cover, just don't let any debris get in the engine.

I've never done the cold side...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tips. What about the rubber ends? They seem to be around the bead very well. Can't seem to pry them off without a tool of sorts. Thinking about trying to pry up and spraying some lube to break the seal.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I just put on an aFe hot pipe yesterday. I had to use a little screwdriver to break the seals. The instructions said to use a pick and WD40. The metal pipe is somewhat knurled where the clamps go, so the hoses don’t want to break loose. I see the MBRP hot pipe replaces the 90% bend coming out of the turbocharger, so you’ll have to figure out how it comes off. The aFe keeps that and just slips in where the OEM metal pipe comes out.

The intercooler ends are smooth plastic, so mine just popped right off.

·
Banned
1,389 Posts
Hmmmm Manderl-bent Mirror-polished 6061 Aluminum • Easy Bolt-on Installation • Increase Throttle Response • Weight Savings * Eliminates Factory Silencer

These component will DO NOTHING at factory power levels, Change the Turbo or add HP then yes, otherwise just looks only.

If the factory intake was restrictive or the Air filter was not allowing enough Air passage the Turbo would suck it right into the compressor wheel BOOM.

the turbo on the ED supplies enough air to support 300HP MAX.

My EDs at 284RWHP I tried to make more with factory Turbo, it was just wasted fuel.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I’m skeptical of aftermarket power adding claims; however there are two things I’ve done to my intake. I put in the Banks silencer remover and replaced the hot side intercooler pipe with one from aFe.

I have not installed the Banks air filter, I’m not sure I like oiled filters, however I might run it with a pre-filter once my current OEM filter needs changed. (That Banks pipe lets you hear the turbo a bit more! :p )
http://bankspower.com/products/show/524/109

That factory hot side intercooler pipe just annoys me; I don’t see why it needs a silencer...so I gave it the boot.

AFE-Hot-Side.jpg

I didn't replace the cold side...it isn't like the cold side can be made any better from a flow perspective. An aftermarket pipe might be more durable however, as the OEM one is all "rubber".

I’m not making any claims that I’ve gained anything or trying to be an advocate of any of these products, people can do what they want with their trucks...just saying what I’ve done.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So...

Last week I finally got them installed on Sunday. The install was kind of a bitch. Taking out the old pipes was not easy. Install was was easier but there are some issues with these pipes.

MBRP supplies a Clamp, and Compression fitting for the Intake, and the hotline coming off of the turbo. I had to modify the compression clamp to better fit the pipes. Otherwise the pipe would simply pull off by hand.... Not good. Once that was done, no problems.

aFe's kit, is a better build and utilizes the factory clamp/spring ring. If I feel up to it I might opt to buy the aFe hot side for good measure. The cold side however is a perfect fit, big diameter, and has 3 ports for hooking up sensors if wanted in then future.

For the money, worth it. Better spool time on the throttle from stopped position. Smoother throttle on the highway as well. For some of these mods, it's subjective. For me, and maybe others, a good add-on for the future of the truck.

If you need a good tool to get the old pipes off, goto Harbor Freight and grab an Automotive Pick set (2piece.) Helps break the suction of the rubber hoses.

Thanks!
-Cherry

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m skeptical of aftermarket power adding claims; however there are two things I’ve done to my intake. I put in the Banks silencer remover and replaced the hot side intercooler pipe with one from aFe.

I have not installed the Banks air filter, I’m not sure I like oiled filters, however I might run it with a pre-filter once my current OEM filter needs changed. (That Banks pipe lets you hear the turbo a bit more! :p )
Banks Power | 14-15 Dodge - 3.0L EcoDiesel>> Banks Ram-Air® Intake System

That factory hot side intercooler pipe just annoys me; I don’t see why it needs a silencer...so I gave it the boot.

View attachment 12739

I didn't replace the cold side...it isn't like the cold side can be made any better from a flow perspective. An aftermarket pipe might be more durable however, as the OEM one is all "rubber".

I’m not making any claims that I’ve gained anything or trying to be an advocate of any of these products, people can do what they want with their trucks...just saying what I’ve done.

I couldn't find the banks intake kit online. But they will sell direct to the consumer. Just email or call with the part number. BP42660? I think...

-Cherry

·
Registered
507 Posts

Banks Power | 14-15 Dodge - 3.0L EcoDiesel>> Banks Ram-Air® Intake System

View attachment 12739

How much of a change was there in noise with those 2 upgrades? I love the whistle of a turbo and this truck is disappointingly quiet.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much of a change was there in noise with those 2 upgrades? I love the whistle of a turbo and this truck is disappointingly quiet.
Not my post. Similar work here, and it is night and day. You get to hear the turbo, spool and dump. Sounds satisfying... Ah yes, that sweet turbo sound.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
An update, I purchased the aFe Hot side pipe. I am switching because I don't like the clamp setup on the MBRP. It just doesn't seem like it would hold and perform well in the long term.

-Cherry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts