RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We would like to hear from any owners that had holes melted into the intake, but did not yet have a fire. Pictures would be wonderful. We have heard of several cases, but need more on the specifics.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Probably not super helpful, but I ended up with a melted intake within an hour of owning the truck. Purchased in March of 2018; 2014, 61k mile, no tune. Towing a trailer with a Durango on it.

15 minutes into my trip home, entered the highway. Sped up to 65 and set cruise. A couple minutes after setting the cruise, truck starts loosing speed on level ground. Used the accelerator pedal to give input, no response, still loosing speed. Pulled over and engine died as truck came to a stop. Restarted engine, ran rough. On the side of the road, made a phone call to consult a friend on the situation, within a minute, noticed smoke entering the cab they the HVAC vents. Shut engine off, began tossing belongings out of truck. Smoke stopped, popped hood and looking for signs of burning / fire; found nothing.

Truck was towed back to the place I bought it. Their mechanic and I began to investigate. Found a nest of some sort on the intake. Started engine in hopes that we found the source of the smoke. After idling for a minute or two, smoke returned. Made several more attempts with the same result. Eventually disassembled the intake pipe and found smoke inside coming back thru the turbo.

We called it a night at that point. I returned home without my truck; they sent it to the local RAM dealer. They had it for 3 weeks, replaced the EGR, EGR cooler and intake manifold. They said the intake was melted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
432 Posts
Here's one

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a melted intake, without a fire. Code i received was for the Swirl valves, but when I took it in, they said that the valves failed, AND that the intake had melted, requiring a new intake. When I shut the truck down, it sounded like someone was letting air out of a balloon. I drove it from my house, to the shop, with no issues, other than a slight loss of power.

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a melted intake, without a fire. Code i received was for the Swirl valves, but when I took it in, they said that the valves failed, AND that the intake had melted, requiring a new intake. When I shut the truck down, it sounded like someone was letting air out of a balloon. I drove it from my house, to the shop, with no issues, other than a slight loss of power.
Was the shop able to provide you any pictures of the intake damage?

·
Registered
17 Posts
My dad had an intake melt without fire on his stock aem 2015 with 168k miles. We took it from nw Indiana to nashville towing an empty trailer, put a light load on it, around 1800lbs total, including trailer, and set off back to nw indiana. About an hour from our destination, after about 6 hours of driving, we got off the interstate to go around a wreck. Almost immediately we got a check engine light for egr valve, can't remember the code. Cleared the code and couldn't see or smell any damage and no performance issues. We started off again through town and after 5 minutes we could smell something hot, but thought it was the older truck in front of us we happened to be following. As we neared the interstate, we heard a slight change in engine tone, determined the smell was us, and quickly pulled over. When we stopped, smoke started coming from under the hood. Popped the hood and smelled burning plastic, but the smoke stopped and disappeared. Got a tow back the rest of the way and he took it to the dealer. Took 3 weeks for the dealer to find around a half dozen holes in the intake where the diffuser tube goes in, and near the brass inserts. I dont have any pictures of my own, but I did see the intake and holes in person. The dealer replaced egr cooler, valve, and intake. The holes were mostly located where the red circles are, to the left and right of the diffuser tube.

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is very good information and lines up with the two egr ports on the diffuser tube and near the hottest zones in the intake.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Are these instances of melted intakes, caused by faulty EGR valves that are sticking open, or is it the actual tuning allowing EGR to the point of self destruction?

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
this might be another one , shut off before going up in flame ...

·
Registered
497 Posts
Curious if this is related to now how they say my pre recall egr replacement is now suddenly all good for the egr recall?

My guess would be that the cause of the fires was related to the AEM and not related to the actual egr cooler failures?

I didn't do the AEM as I am in Canada and was not taking a hit in drivability with no compensation. I guess maybe if I did, it would have increased my risk of marshmellow time on the side of the road.

I am holding off on any AEM because the egr exceptions are many in the programming and they obviously are better than the results after the AEM.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ecosparky
1 - 13 of 13 Posts