RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned my truck now almost a year. I have an Outdoorsman with the 3.92 gears. I have spend most of the time driving the truck loaded with skis in the winter (with winter fuel) or with a camper in the bed during the summer. You can see from my Fuely badge below that my mileage is not as good as many of you. Not saying I was unsatisfied, because 20mpg with a camper in the back driving in the mountains is pretty good. That is with the GDE tune.

I had always figured that the tires were costing my about 1 MPG, the 3.92 another etc.. Well my thoughts on that changed yesterday.

I had a set of Michelin IceX winter tires mounted on a set of aluminum wheels that match my summer set (stock Outdoorsman with Goodyear Silent Armor E rated). The difference between the two tires was amazing. Better acceleration, even quieter ride, smoother ride, and the mileage went up dramatically.

28.3mpg.JPG

I drove to Denver and back with decent highway speed, new tiers, no camper, tonneau cover on and closed and got 28.3 on the EVIC. My evic has always been within 1-4% of calculated. This is BY FAR the best mileage I have ever recorded.

So while I really like the reliability of the E rated tires when I have the camper on and am driving dirt or 4WD roads I am finding that the passenger tires may improve my mileage as much or more than the GDE tune.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Interesting, this is not the first I have read of this. I put stock-sized E load range Firestone Destination HTs on my truck and they did not make any noticeable difference in fuel economy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went E rated LT tires and I lost 1-2 mpg at most. But I like the comfort of a stronger tire especially on the occasions I go offroad.

I am puzzled how so many people are getting close to true numbers on their EVIC for mpg. I'm usually 10% off sadly.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm pretty certain that your fuel mileage hit comes primarily from the high rolling resistant/deep tread pattern of the Silent Armor's A/T tread, and the heavier LT construction/weight is kinda secondary. I know many who've switched from mild highway tires to A/T's in the exact same P-sizing with close to same overall weight and still loose 2-3mpg. Even more with mud tires.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with post #4 above!
Just switched to the Cooper At3's in the 20" stock size and they cost me 2-3 mpg.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I just switched from my XL load rated Nitto Terra Grappler G2s to Michelin LTX MS2s today, within 2lb of each other but I picked up about 4 mpg on my routine drive that I make every day. Tread pattern has just as much to do with mpg as weight. Will have better numbers after I runs a couple tanks through. Driving from NorCal to Vail, CO in a few days so that will give me a good data sampling.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just switched from my XL load rated Nitto Terra Grappler G2s to Michelin LTX MS2s today, within 2lb of each other but I picked up about 4 mpg on my routine drive that I make every day. Tread pattern has just as much to do with mpg as weight. Will have better numbers after I runs a couple tanks through. Driving from NorCal to Vail, CO in a few days so that will give me a good data sampling.
Why'd you pick that tire over the new Defender LTX M/S?

·
Registered
961 Posts
Why'd you pick that tire over the new Defender LTX M/S?
Limited reviews of the Defender M/S, and also the only model they have close in size on 20" is a 275/65/20. Trying to avoid going to LTs unless I have to, I drive 120+ miles a day for my commute on crappy roads and LTs beat the hell out of you. Would be nice for when I tow but even the P-metrics are rate for 1500lbs more per axle than the axle is rated for. LT warranty also drops to 20k miles from 70k to 50k

·
Registered
829 Posts
I run LT 17" SilentArmors on my C/C 4x4 3.55's with GDE. GDE tune made very little difference in fuel economy. Performance is a different story altogether. My fuelly lifetime average is 24.5 all being unloaded and no towing for the most part. You living in Boulder isn't helping things any, but I'd say you are spot on with fuel economy and post 4 says it all. The SilentArmors have more rolling resistance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Totally agree. I swapped out my standard P rated goodyears for LT General grabber AT2's. Went from 26 mpg to 20-21. Mosly hwy miles. Kind of sucks. I like the look of the AT's but may go back to P rated when these are worn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts