RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Joined the Marines in '82 while I was in college. Bounced between active and reserve organizations while trying to finish school. Was damned impressed with the Marine officers I'd worked with, so a couple months before graduation I went to see the Marine recruiter re. going to OCS. To my surprise OCS was full so I'd have to wait a year. Didn't want to flip burgers for a year. Happened to notice a big US Army Ranger poster at the Army recruiter's office next door. Went in and said "so tell me about these Army Rangers." A couple months later, Fall88, I went from SGT Gress, USMC, to Officer Candidate Gress, US Army.

Left active duty in '98 and joined the Guard/Reserves. Retired in '05 with 23yrs.

I should have gotten out when I was younger. I stayed in too long. Being a young Marine was a blast. Being an Infantry Lt was a blast. But it was all downhill from there. Being a CPT sucked and being a Major was a horror. I had thought that when I became more senior I'd be able to do all sort of good shit. I'd be able to plan, resource and execute kick-ass training that would really do some good. But the reality was that I was in a system that largely prevented anything useful from happening. Scheduling range time and ammo had to be done 18months out. I was spending all my time with briefing slides, "safety checks" of personally owned vehicles, dental statistics, inventorying equipment, sensitivity training, never-ending run arounds re. the 5% that needed to be kicked out and the list of silly time-wasters was infinite. It was so bad that several times I bought ammo, used my own rifles, and took soldiers to a civilian range so they could do some reasonably realistic live fire drills. Pretty much the only time I could really do whatever I training I wanted was during morning PT. I was driving my bosses crazy, I was driving my peers crazy, it was time to get out.

·
Registered
366 Posts
My marine cousin is the black sheep of the family, literally. Except the sheep part I guess. He's the only black member of the family(and our parents had 13 siblings so its a big family), and was born on Canadian soil to mixed-nationality parents(Canada/US) so he got dual-citizenship. He lived in Niagara Falls and eventually stayed in the U.S. and went marine. He has a thick Canadian accent/vocabulary so he'd be instantly sticking out with his fellow marines the way he stick out in our family photos lol...Love the guy and he's off in Korea or something which is shifty as hell so I pray he comes back to run a few miles on the farm.

·
Banned
23 Posts
AF EOD here. Lived in UT for a while running around on the Utah Test and Training Range blowing up dud bombs/submunitions/etc and absolutely loving the high desert mountain life. Was non-volunteered to be an instructor in FL and my 4 year prison sentence is almost up. I'm pretty excited to go back to doing the job instead of talking about it, but this last part (area of instruction) has been a hell of a lot of fun. Will be California bound before the end of the year so back to mountains and dry air for me (I loathe humidity).

·
Registered
65 Posts
AF EOD here. Lived in UT for a while running around on the Utah Test and Training Range blowing up dud bombs/submunitions/etc and absolutely loving the high desert mountain life. Was non-volunteered to be an instructor in FL and my 4 year prison sentence is almost up. I'm pretty excited to go back to doing the job instead of talking about it, but this last part (area of instruction) has been a hell of a lot of fun. Will be California bound before the end of the year so back to mountains and dry air for me (I loathe humidity).
Cool, I'm a TACP. What part of Florida? My tech school was at hurbie.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
23 Posts
Right next door at Eglin. I've run into a bunch of you guys in AFG, met some real good dudes on the trip to KAF but I can't quite remember the names as it's been about 4 years since I was last allowed to actually do stuff (plus I know there is more than a dozen of you so chances are you might not know them regardless, you know the same ole "Hey, I know Amn/Sgt/Pvt Salty Nuts, do you know him since you are in the military?").

·
Registered
241 Posts
I did 6 years in military intelligence (oxy moron). I had the hard duty assignments of Hawaii and Miami, FL. Got out 1 1/2 years before 9/11 and for the last 14 years I have been walking the toughest blocks around ie in prison but I get to leave every day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
8.5 years before medically seperated after major back surgery.
Was Army airborne then navy reserves.

Thanks to all who have gone before and who still serve.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
US Army 1966-1969
14th ACR Fulda
11th ACR Vietnam 1968-1969
11E40 MOS
separated SSG E-6

Thanks to all that wear/ wore the uniform.

Some gave all
All gave some

Old fart
That would have been serious shit. An especially bad time to be a tanker. RPG's all over and heavy vegetation to hide bad guys.

·
Registered
281 Posts
U S Army 1969-1971
Pleiku & Ankhe 1969-1970
Slick chief (buzzard 7-doo-doo) on ash & trash detail

A big salute to our recent warriors

War is still unhealthy for children & other living things!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
US Navy
Naval Aviator H-46D Driver and Instructor Pilot TH-57B/C
Active Duty 99-08
Sel-Res 09-13
IRR -13 -
15 Down - 5 to go

Deployed twice in direct support of the war effort. Flew in Med with three different battle groups. Hauled a shit load of bombs, missiles, bullets, beans, and MAIL! We were dropping the ordinance right on the flight deck from our stores, the AO's were loading up the F/A's and away they went.

Loved my Active Time...if the second 8 years could have been as good as the first 8 years I would have taken the Bonus and stayed in, but all the future had for me was ships, staff jobs and pain...a little flying here and there, but not enough to keep the misery at bay.

The next 5 years as a Reservist were okay. I just moved down the p-way to a different office in my last squadron. After doing the same job from 05-13 I was ready to be done with teaching guys how to fly. So...I'm in the IRR doing coloring books for retirement points and years. Piece O' cake for anyone who cares. O-5 board is next year, but doubt I'll make it as promotion boards frown heavily on IRR types.

Thanks to all those that chose to serve and all their loved ones who support(ed) them.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts