RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I commonly see DEF from Valvoline and Peak at my local Napa Auto Parts store. Since purchasing the truck, I've only used Valvoline DEF, nothing else.

Whom here can share their opinion on my scenario?:
My DEF tank is approximately 1/2 full with Valvoline Premium Blue DEF. My local NAPA has PEAK Blue DEF on sale right now. Are there any issues with filling the tank with a different brand DEF than what it's currently filled with?
DEF 1.jpg DEF 2.jpg

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've mixed different brand of DEF and never had an issue. Just make sure it meets the required specs.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Seems to me DEF is DEF as long as it meets the spec and isn't too old/expired. It is a simple chemical solution and nothing complex like lube oil with various wear additives etc. I would be a bit careful about DEF on sale. AS noted elsewhere on this site DEF has a definite life and its life varies with temperature. They may be trying to get rid of DEF that is near its expiration date. SHorter at high temps and longer at low temps. Therefore DEF has an expiration date or manufacturer date on the bottle. Make sure the DEF you buy is not going to expire before you use it up. If you do not drive much I wouldn't fill up the DEF tank to ensure you do not end up with degraded DEF in your tank. I try to be using from the last half of my tank in the summer and then add during the winter.

Lot's of info elsewhere here on life in months at various temps etc. Try the search engine, it works OK.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was unaware there was a spec for def type for this truck? I'm needing a fill (1st factory tank lasted over 10,000kms) and was planning on using bulk pump def from a truck stop on the 401 (busy trans Canada highway) I believe others here said that was a good way to ensure fresh def, but I'm sure there's no specs listed at the pump...don't want any issues....thoughts?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I started using the Blue DEF after a full tank from the dealer. I buy mine at wally mart, a little over $11 last week. I say mix away, I just make sure I check the dates.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I was unaware there was a spec for def type for this truck? I'm needing a fill (1st factory tank lasted over 10,000kms) and was planning on using bulk pump def from a truck stop on the 401 (busy trans Canada highway) I believe others here said that was a good way to ensure fresh def, but I'm sure there's no specs listed at the pump...don't want any issues....thoughts?
It's not an FCA spec for the truck. DEF has to meet an API spec the same way diesel and gasoline do.

You are correct in your assumption that buying from the pump at a busy location is the best way to guarantee freshness.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
You should be fine using the DEF from the truck stop pump - that's the freshest DEF you will find.

·
Registered
51 Posts
You should be fine using the DEF from the truck stop pump - that's the freshest DEF you will find.
Not to mention it will be 1/2 the cost or less of the boxed stuff. On top of that, I don't have to fill with a funnel, I just pump until it is full. I have two or three different places that have DEF on tap at the pump near me so for me it is an easy chore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts