RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must be the only guy wanting this as I've been unable to find any info on this forum. While driving I enjoy watching the elevation change. It helps me understand when my truck will downshift or upshift when going through uneven terrain (ie mountain passes). Watching the current fuel mileage tells me if I'm going up or downhill but I'd rather view current elevation. ALL of my Garmin handheld, car, and motorcycle GPS units have the option to view elevation but not my 2017 Durango or 2017 RAM both with 8.4 Uconnect. Even my Apple Watch has an app for current elevation! I've contacted the good people at Dodge and Uconnect to no avail. I Had to explain what elevation was and that the GPS satellites transmit this data to GPS units but they've chosen to exclude it from any of he displays. Maybe I'm wrong and one of you knows where to find it. It would be great to have on the dash display as one of the options vs. the navigation. That way I could see it with any other screen on Uconnect. I'm investigating another option...using an old Ipod Touch with an elevation app (such as "my altitude" which is wrongly named) and placing it somewhere in view without blocking anything else. We put a man on the moon 50 years ago...just sayin'

·
Registered
13,899 Posts
Put a Garmin on the dash and throw that 8.4 TV screen out. You will not only save a ton of money but upgrades will be free and not $600.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put a Garmin on the dash and throw that 8.4 TV screen out. You will not only save a ton of money but upgrades will be free and not $600.
That’s not going to happen. I didn’t get the Laramie Longhorn trim only to disconnect stuff.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like watching elevation also, but keep in mind that really is nothing more than a reference for up hill or down hill. GPS elevation is very inaccurate, especially in a vehicle moving at fast speed.

I care about the change in elevation and don’t really care about the accuracy of the actual elevation at any given moment. Actually I’ve watched the elevation on my Garmin units as I crest a mountain pass and they are probably within a percent or two. Plenty accurate for me.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Garmin or any GPS unit has to have at least 3 satellites to compute elevation. Seems that's an easy chore for Garmins, mine often has 12 satellites and is very accurate at any speed.

Reactions: Kneebull

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,002 Posts
I didn’t get the Laramie Longhorn trim only to disconnect stuff.
Ol' Capt would rather drive a hand crank to start, manual trans vehicle...he doesn't get "the frilly stuff" in a vehicle...lol

In the grand scheme of things, seeing the elevation changing doesn't mean much while traveling in a vehicle so that probably why FCA skipped it in the 8.4.
Unless it's for a medical reasons, I can see being concerned with changing altitude with a NA engine but not so much for a turbo fed one.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My 2015 Ram 1500 ED shows elevation. I go to ‘Where am I’ from EVIC Nav menu then touch GPS. That shows all of the satellites and current lat/long and GPS elevation. The elevation doesn’t change very often so I think it is a very rough approximation. BTW, I’m getting a warning occasionally on my EVIC saying ‘Your Vehicle Phone Needs to be Serviced.’ What’s that about? Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Mark. Just came in from the truck after finding the same thing. You beat me to the punch. Certainly not a necessity but I enjoy having it. Also found some apps for my phone that’ll show current elevation. Funny that UConnect calls it “Altitude” vs “Elevation”

·
Administrator
9,478 Posts
BTW, I’m getting a warning occasionally on my EVIC saying ‘Your Vehicle Phone Needs to be Serviced.’ What’s that about? Anyone know?

That usually means the Sierra Wireless 3G Card within the unit is failing. It's pretty common on 2014 & 2015's. It's used for the 911 service and is also required if you have navigation. It's covered under the 3 yr./36,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use the Torque Pro app to view boost, % torque, EGT and altitude. The altitude is within a couple hundred feet of highway altitude markers ands settles down quickly at a stop or reduced speeds. The app uses the altitude from the Android phones GPS.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would like to see elevation displayed on my truck as well... Sounds like Torque Pro is an option - I have an Android tablet that no one in my family uses, I bet I could mount it somewhere that would be easy to read on in the truck.

Anyone know if elevation could be displayed when running android auto and google maps?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I used the feature on our recent trip. Here is a snap shot when we were in Death Valley. It can be a distraction looking at the screen while driving (worse taking a picture of it). It's a nice feature that could be useful in certain situations.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
What if you are out in the woods, away from cell towers, and you need to know altitude (medical reasons, yup).

·
Registered
267 Posts
My 2015 Ram 1500 ED shows elevation. I go to ‘Where am I’ from EVIC Nav menu then touch GPS. That shows all of the satellites and current lat/long and GPS elevation. The elevation doesn’t change very often so I think it is a very rough approximation. BTW, I’m getting a warning occasionally on my EVIC saying ‘Your Vehicle Phone Needs to be Serviced.’ What’s that about? Anyone know?

I use this feature too. I can tell you, driving up and down the front range, my elevation read-out sometimes spins like a slot machine dial trying to keep up with elevation changes.

Dave

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
158 Posts
I happened to have an altitude app open on my phone today while returning from Taos to Santa Fe via the High Road. I forgot to open it until past the high points of about 8650'. It was enlightening to see just how fast we were going up and down. As I was trying to get back to Santa Fe to refuel for tomorrow's long tow, I was watching the remaining range, and it was indicative of elevation changes. It would go from 105 down to 98, then back up to 103--you can guess which side of the hill was which. It ended up at 71 miles and the fill was about 23.4 gallons (26 gallon tank), so the range estimate seems reasonable--perhaps a smidge conservative, as I would wish. (est. 2.6 gal remaining @ 29MPG EVIC = 75.4 miles) It was clear that remaining range was being calculated based on short term MPG, perhaps just 5 or 10 seconds, if that.

Incidentally, I am trying to collect the data to figure out how many gallons are used to get down to "Full", 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4 tank over the next few days to calibrate the fuel guage, imprecise as it is.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I happened to have an altitude app open on my phone today while returning from Taos to Santa Fe via the High Road. I forgot to open it until past the high points of about 8650'.
Welcome to New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment!

Which altitude app were you using?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Welcome to New Mexico, the Land of Enchantment!

Which altitude app were you using?
It's just called "Altimeter", on the iPhone. Thanks for the welcome, on the day we towed 333 miles to Montrose, CO. We had the app open much of the trip and it was within 50' on a 10,067' Cochetopa Pass. The ED was working a bit with the ca 5,000# trailer, but handled crosswinds over 50-60 MPH pretty well. MPG took a hit when we turned into the wind, probably more like 40 MPH by then. We were around 15.5 MPG (EVIC) for the trip. I don't know if wind or climbing caused it, but I got several DEF level warnings. It went from a 500 mile to 160 mile warning in around 150 miles. I had 2.5 gallons with me, but waited until the winds dropped some before braving the elements to put it in--no troubles after that.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Hi: SlowRoller... We use Maggie Magellan. My wife gets her charged but sometimes she's a little high. She's also good at getting us lost or finding the most difficult way to get somewhere. Me I drive with one eye on the road and one on my wife. If she grabs for something I know it's time to use the brakes. Kinda like "Autostop"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi: SlowRoller... We use Maggie Magellan. My wife gets her charged but sometimes she's a little high. She's also good at getting us lost or finding the most difficult way to get somewhere. Me I drive with one eye on the road and one on my wife. If she grabs for something I know it's time to use the brakes. Kinda like "Autostop"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
We use Gertrude Google, but she likes to play tricks also. That makes us more dependent on a cell signal, a problem when I forget to tell the Navigator which route I want to take, like I did yesterday.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts