RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought myself a shiny new Mopar OEM Chrome Fuel Door. I went out to the truck; popped the two hex bolts to swap it out and quickly realized there was stuff in there that made it different than everything I had read. Soooo.. I got onto the web and soon discovered the Mopar OEM Chrom Fuel Door is not supposed to fit on the diesels.

I found a thread here that says the diesel fill and the DEF fill do not leave enough room for the door to close. Looking at the two side by side I realized the parts are identical except the diesel has a cover on the left side of the hinge and a cover on the door to seal the weather out of the opening. On closer examination I see that the parts can be moved from the factory fuel door hinge assembly to the aftermarket assembly and it fits like factory; seals and all.

Here's how I did it:

The backs of both doors are identical:
FuelDoorCompare.jpg

Start by removing all five hex bolts from the opening. Two are larger and three are smaller. Once the bolts are out the whole fuel fill assembly will be free, just push it back out of the way. YOU WILL NOT HAVE MUCH ROOM. On the left side of the opening there is a cover that is glued with body foam covering the hinge and glued to the inner fender wall. You will need to climb under the truck with a long flat head screw driver and gently pry the cover away from the side of the truck. Once it is free pull the whole assembly through the front of the opening.
FuelDoor1.jpg

Factory Fuel Door Assembly out of the truck:

FuelDoor2.jpg

Clean the foam off the factory cover:

FuelDoorFOAM.jpg

Remove the factory door seal - BE VERY CAREFUL!!! The tabs that hold it will break, I broke mine and I will have to glue the cover on the new door. With a screwdriver pry the small tab on the left side of the door; at the same time slide the cover to the left. Place the original cover on the new chrome door by reversing the process.

GasketRemoval.jpg

Remove the cover that you cleaned the foam off of and set it aside. Gently squeeze the two speed nuts out of the original hinge and place them into the Chrome door. There are two openings for the speed nuts. Reattach the cover.

HingeCover.jpg

Carefully reinstall the assembly into the fuel door opening on your truck. Reattach all the hex bolts. I used some expanding foam to reseal the foam cover to the sidewall of the fender.

FuelDoorFinished.jpg

Now I have a Mopar Chrome Fuel Door!

Good luck; I hope this helps others who are thinking about giving it a try!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Well done.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Badger203, nice looking but does it lock ???

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just bought this and am afraid to screw it all up, haha. So that whole black thing around the inserts have to come off?

·
Registered
325 Posts
I can't even see the foam around the fuel door from under the truck.. this is way more complicated than I thought.

Update: found the foam but holy hell it is a lot more difficult to remove than I previously thought. How do you know you got it all the way off?

Update 2: got the chrome fuel door in. Was frustrating and tedious but got it in. Also didn't have to put it on the original housing, new door fit fine with DEF insert.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts