RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit of a strange request. I was installing the Mopar heavy duty splash guards (front = 82216217AA, rear = 82216216AA) on my 2021 Limited and the plunger on two of the plastic pop rivets broke in such a way that rivet isn't holding. 0C must have been too cold to set them.

These seem to be specialized rivets as I've been searching for a couple of days now and can't find anything similar. What makes them unique is their grip range is quite large as they pass through a heavy washer, a thick splash guard, the wheel well liner and then a fender panel. I found a picture of a similar parts kit and have highlighted the area of the rivet that makes it so hard to find. Even this picture was difficult to find and I lucked upon it on Amazon.

It's a M6.3 rivet with a body length of around 35mm. The section that I've highlighted is probably 10+mm long. I've tried typical M6.3 rivets that have a much shorter fixed section and they just don't work in this application.

Of course the parts department at the dealer can't find anything unless you give them a part number.

Any help locating these would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Use stainless steel bolts, many people have issues with these rivets breaking anyway so you are going to have to deal with replacing them at some point and I have yet to find anyone who has been able to purchase the Mopar rivets. My Gator mud flaps used the existing stock bolts and they included one stainless bolt with washers and nut to secure them to the plastic liner.

The Mopar plastic splash guards will end up rubbing the paint off the fenders where they make contact, so if you are going to use the Mopar splash guards I suggest you get some 3M clear bra tape to protect the paint.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Here are the Gatorback mud flaps that fit 2021 Ram 1500 trucks.

truck-hardware-gcr34f-gmrv-gcr35r-gmrv

I have these mud flaps on my 2019 Classic that fit the factory flairs.

I see from figuring out the part number of the Mopar flaps you have are similar, so my question is where are the rivets used? Do they rivet to the plastic wheel liner? As you can see in the photos of the Gatorback mud flaps they use the existing screws and add a large washer if you look at the picture of the Gatorback mud flap you see a small hole towards the inside of each mud flap, you drill through that hole into the plastic wheel well liner and you use a bolt two washers and a nut to secure the inside of the mud flaps to the wheel well liner.

These are called no drill mud flaps but you do need to drill one hole if you want to secure the inside of the mud flap, that step was optional on my set but I drilled the wheel well liner and secured it to make it as secure as possible. I have had zero issues with the Gatorback mud flaps. The Gatorback mud flaps are expensive but they are a high quality product and worth the price.

I don't see why you can't just do that with the Mopar mud flaps.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Mopar splash guards use the factory screws with an added washer, plus additional nylon rivets with the same large washers.

I'm working on rerouting the block heater cord later today so I'll take pictures of the front and rear flaps, but if I remember correctly, the front has two rivets each and the rear has three. Of those, I believe there is only access to the backside of one of the rivets so a stainless bolt will be a challenge. Screws wouldn't work either given there is just thin plastic to grab on to.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Don't know if you have Harbor Freight stores, but they sell all kinds of plastic rivets. Fastenal probably has better quality, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone know if the gatorback mud flaps have the same issue rubbing paint off the bumper like the Mopar ones? Sure like the look of those gatorback flaps...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone know if the gatorback mud flaps have the same issue rubbing paint off the bumper like the Mopar ones? Sure like the look of those gatorback flaps...
Not sure why you think the Mopar heavy duty splash guards rub the paint off the fender flares. I had them installed for 5 years on my 2016 ED without issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hmmm good to hear. I asked because of post number 4 up above...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts