RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using the motomaster DEF ? Any issues? I can’t seem to be able to find a date on the bottle I bought so have been hesitant to put it in the truck.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For about 25 bucks Us you can buy a refractometer specifically for DEF and never have to question the quality again. The date is often coded into the production run information, personally I think that's BS we should be able to glance & see what the production date is.

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
DEF is DEF, and life is too short to worry about the expiration date. Run it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If you can't find a date code on it to figure out how old that batch of DEF is I would pass on it.

Genos Garage sells this product to check the DEF quality:

DC6BE3D0-883E-46AB-A7C8-1D8ADCCEF03B.jpeg

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Def doesn't magically go bad its not like milk if stored in a sealed container where it doesn't get direct sunlight and keep cool it can last for years. Of all the def issues and scr issues i've troubleshot I've never found old def to be the issue. Testing it is quick and easy but unless your very clean you could contaminate the def and be worse off.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The refractometer comes with sample droppers, mine get washed with distilled water. I'm running distilled water now that I'm tuned & will see what happens.

·
Registered
852 Posts
For the amount of DEF that we use (almost none), I buy mine in the big jug from the local FCA dealer. I was putting about 1500km per month on my EcoD and using about 1-1/2 jugs per year ..... I ain't goin' poor buying FCA DEF and I keep the receipts .... just in case.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Never bought at Cambodian Tire. Price was always atrocious. Farm and fleet stores usuly have it arou d 12 bucks a jug or around 10 on sale.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Anyone using the motomaster DEF ? Any issues? I can’t seem to be able to find a date on the bottle I bought so have been hesitant to put it in the truck.
I have used Flying J's for years, if you live in the GTA, there's a couple of locations with DEF at the pumps. Never had any issues with it, usually around 0.76-77 c / L Can fill an empty truck for under $20. Would cost you double if you are buying the jugs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Never bought at Cambodian Tire. Price was always atrocious. Farm and fleet stores usuly have it arou d 12 bucks a jug or around 10 on sale.
I don't know if y'all have WALMART up there, but here in the phoenix area I was buying their SUPER TECH brand for either $6.00 or $7.00 per 2 1/2 gallon jug. I tuned my truck in July & just recently started phasing in some distilled water, right now I've got a mix of 4 gallons of water & the rest is DEF & showing about 100% on my CTS3 monitor, I'm gonna tote some DEF , an empty jug or 3 & siphon hose just in case it should throw a code or cel. So far the truck runs great & WILL break the tires free if I get on it hard, especially if I throw the tranny into rally/tow mode. I really like the shift mapping in the first 4 gears in tow mode. I'm still figuring out the DEF/distilled water usage thing. The water is a buck a gallon at walmart

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've used CT def since early 2016. 90 k no issues. It has the correct certification. I heard that def deteriorates when exposed to light over time so I always but it in a box.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't know if y'all have WALMART up there, but here in the phoenix area I was buying their SUPER TECH brand for either $6.00 or $7.00 per 2 1/2 gallon jug. I tuned my truck in July & just recently started phasing in some distilled water, right now I've got a mix of 4 gallons of water & the rest is DEF & showing about 100% on my CTS3 monitor, I'm gonna tote some DEF , an empty jug or 3 & siphon hose just in case it should throw a code or cel. So far the truck runs great & WILL break the tires free if I get on it hard, especially if I throw the tranny into rally/tow mode. I really like the shift mapping in the first 4 gears in tow mode. I'm still figuring out the DEF/distilled water usage thing. The water is a buck a gallon at walmart
Interesting , keep us posted on the DEF/distilled water usage thing. Ive heard you can use it with a tune but dont know anybody that has used it alone. Anybody else use just distilled water ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Interesting , keep us posted on the DEF/distilled water usage thing. Ive heard you can use it with a tune but dont know anybody that has used it alone. Anybody else use just distilled water ?
I put in 4 gallons of water & should have about 3 1/2 gallons of exhaust fluid. So far all is good!

·
Registered
2019 Classic Laramie CC
48 Posts
I have the EPA compliant tune from GDE and was told by them that if you have the pre-epa tune that disables the def system some people were draining the tank and filling it with distilled water or just leaving it empty but I should not put anything but good quality def fluid in mine because it still uses the def injection with the tune. Which it does. Water will damage a def injection system that has not been disabled. According to GDE.

·
Registered
86 Posts
According to information I have, the exhaust fluid is the thing that is detrimental to the system, GDE HAS to say that because they're doing compliant tunes.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have the EPA compliant tune from GDE and was told by them that if you have the pre-epa tune that disables the def system some people were draining the tank and filling it with distilled water or just leaving it empty but I should not put anything but good quality def fluid in mine because it still uses the def injection with the tune. Which it does. Water will damage a def injection system that has not been disabled. According to GDE.
Thats odd since DEF is over 65% water

·
Registered
86 Posts
DEF is 67.5 % DEIONIZED water, and 32.5% UREA, distilled water is acceptable, I asked my tuner about non-distilled or tap water & was told it will interact badly with the sensors or something. There are photos on one of the sites showing the DEF injector using proper DEF versus diluted DEF & straight water. I think GDE may have been referring to tap water or other not distilled water. The DEF shows heavy buildup of the injector and it needing cleaned. If you have noticed most DEF jugs have a crystalline deposit on their top.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts