RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering changing shocks to a set of Bilsteins to level the rig and have better quality suspension. I’ve read that it could decrease MPG due to the new aerodynamics of the truck. Has anyone done an ACTUAL evaluation of this theory? I can’t imagine it would decrease by more than 1, maybe 2 MPG. At 27 MPG a 1 MPG decrease is 3.7% and a 2 MPG decrease is 7.4%. Makes a difference!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Leveled 4x4 from 1,000 miles Mopar kit at dealer. Lost 2mpg and gained 2.5mpg at 50k with GDE. Close to 194k now and yet zero need for Bilsteins (yet). Have replaced 2 sets on my X over 15 years and am a fan of them.

Florida driving on excellent roads so depending on where you are OEM may wear faster.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I lost 2mpg when I levelled my truck and put on an all terrain tire (tires I chose only weigh like 4lbs more each over the stock SRAs)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I only saw about 1/2 a mpg loss with the 5100's set at 2.1", ran that for about a year, but didn't like that I'd get a little cv shimmy in 4wd when on the throttle. The 4 inch lift I put on a few months back with the 5100's set back to stock was another 1 mpg lost. The lift added some weight. 35" E rated tires was the biggest hit with another 1.5mpg, heavy tires hurts a lot. Running around 19-21 in the city 24-25 on the highway. No tune.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts