RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glad I bought my 2014 ED, I have a PPEI 40hp tune. I installed a banks intake silencer delete tube, flo pro 3inch turbo back to 3.5" mbrp single exhaust. I did away with the dual exhaust. I will be installing the EGR stage 2 delete kit next week sometime. (by Sasquatch parts)

Question 1, will the dash readout be accurate for MPG with tune installed
Question 2, has anyone noticed after tuning that your MPG did not increase or maybe even decreased?

I am currently doing a manual check with a new tank of fuel and once its close to half and empty ill do an average of MPG. I was hoping to see averages of around 24-28MPG, is that wrong?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Tunes can hurt fuel economy especially when first installed. Now its not the tune that's causing it its your right foot. Most guys running the Ppei tune see about 1-2 mpg increase overall once the new power excitement wears off. Thats right inline with my current gde tune as well. The best way is too keep a hand log when you first purchase the vehicle. That way you can monitor trends just like UOA.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
the dash readout should be as accurate after any tune as it was before it. A half tank if fuel usage isn't very much driving to try and use as a baseline to determine before and after mileage unless it includes several of the same round trips like a daily commute or something similar. If it is just random driving I don't think it will tell you much from. The error in the first fill and the second fill is the same whether you do a full or a half tank. Any variance will affect the mileage less the longer you drive. You can help by filling both times at the same station at the same pump and pointing the same direction and stop at the first or second auto shutoff.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,048 Posts
It makes me uneasy when you say 1/2 tank. I hope you mean drive till gauge reads 1/2 then fill up and divide mils by gallons... but I have known more than one person who said the gauge was correct and if you have a 26 gallon tank then at 1/2 tank you have burned 13 gallons, I hope that's not how your doing it.

For me a half tank is over 300 miles, I think that's plenty long to calculate an average, most other vehicles I have ever owner were getting refueled around that number of miles because they were empty.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I picked up about 2 MPG with a GDE tune.

I'd be interested to see how your stage 2 EGR delete kit turns out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts