RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I know there are a TON of MPG articles/posts out there...

Just curious on if you guys have filled up not paid any attention to the computer for a tank and checked on your refill for the first time for the previous tank to see what you got?

Also, I'd be curious to see what the worst mpg you've got NOT towing, I'm not talking flooring it the whole tank.

Lastly, on your 28-30 mpg trips are you guys setting cruise or on the throttle yourself?

I'm trying to decipher through any babying that maybe goin on (if any), I know driving style, terrain, etc. comes into play as we are each different.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I am averaging 25.3 mpg on about 2500 miles driven. I have a mix of highway (28-29 avg.) at 70 mph with cruise control on and additional city driving. I'd estimate the miles to be about 50/50 city highway. The highway driving is mainly on Houston toll roads that are never flat for long stretches. All the overpasses create small hills to drive over. I have not really checked the city mileage closely as I tend to pay attention to the road and surroundings. Given the average and approximate mix of city/highway, I'd suspect that the EPA city rating is pretty close to what I am getting.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I am getting similar results to JAK over 5 tanks except when towing. The 6th tank is 20% biodiesel so it will be interesting to see how that does.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am not having as good of luck as some others. Best mpg I have gotten is hand calc'd 28.7, worst non towing is 19.3. I am running 20.1, hand calc'd, on 5800 miles with a 1200mi 7000# tow. My biggest issue is that the evic is 2.5mpg over hand calc on every fill up. Evic is running 23.5 for the total miles.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My EVIC has been pretty close to my hand calc.. My 2800 mile average is in my signature. It is pretty close to 50/50 city/hwy. On the one road trip that I have taken, MPG were 27.7 per the EVIC however the tank was 26.7mpg due to some city driving. The majority of the trip was with the cruise control on.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I got 31.5 mpg on a recent 444 mile trip, not towing. I have an Extang trifold soft tonneau cover which some people say adds to the mpg. The ED has a 3.55 rear end. I used cruise control 95% of the time. I do try to slow down and glide into red lights hoping not to have to stop completely. And I try not to floor it when the light turns green, an almost impossible task for me.

That's as conservative as I get. I know hypermilers go way beyond that.

I burned mid grade gas in the Hemi I owned, $3.799 a gallon. I fueled up the ED Tuesday at $3.799.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just filled tank today and hand calculated 24.1 mpg and the lie o meter was @ 27.3 so that's 3 mpg different , I am still real happy with 24 mpg average but 27 would have been a lot better :)
highway speed's @ 68 mph cruise control " lie o meter say's 33 mpg ) and city driving I try to have the gears switch around 2200 rpm to 2500 rpm ,
I will test again next fill up and see how it goes

mike

·
Registered
7 Posts
So far I am averaging around 22.5 on my last 3 fill ups I'm running roughly 60 highway 40 city. 90% of the highway driving is during rush hour and not one soul can keep a constant speed. I do run anywhere between 70-75 mph. I do not baby the truck I make sure I am "at speed" when I am merging onto the highway so I get on the throttle. I do know when I am forced to slow way down on the highway my mpg goes up a lot I'm sure if I was running around 60 mph I would get near 28 easy. oh and I have 3,92 gears and my EVIC is spot on when it comes to the MPG

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have averaged around 25mpg for 6k miles. Worst was 23mpg on winter blend and best was 27.6ish, mostly high way. My normal commute is 70 miles per day, 65% is city stop and go and I average around 25.

I have hand calculated every fill up since I have owned the truck and can tell you that the evic cannot be trusted. Sometimes its close, and others it's 2mpg off.

ram1500 ecodiesel (Dodge Ram 1500) | Fuelly

I use the same pump 98% of the time to fill up and I do force shifts - 7th @ 45mph, 8th @ 55mph. All of my data is with the truck empty or hauling a couple dirtbikes in the bed.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'm getting around 23 mpg over 2500 mi. I've done some light towing, and I do very little true "Highway" driving. But, in some of the more rural area's, there are sections of the normal roads that will go for a few miles without a light.

On one 60 mi highway drive... I saw 27.3 mpg.

But I'll take the 23 all day long !!! my 4.7L Ram was only getting 15 mpg doing the same driving.

·
Registered
396 Posts
my best is 30.5 hand calculated. that was 310 miles interstate cruise set at 72mph and 50 miles of state roads. my normal driving I run cruise whenever I can. I do 60/40 highway/city and overall average is 24.5 hand calculated. I think my dash shows 24.8 so its pretty close.

·
Registered
231 Posts
My best is 22.7 with mixed city and highway. My mileage has increased every fillup since purchased. I think these engines need a break in period to see their real potential.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am probably getting the worst mileage out of anyone on here so far. The main reasons are because I am about 90% city with lots of stop and go traffic and sometimes have long idle times. This is due to being in the construction industry and driving from site to site every day. I average about 250 miles a week of nothing but city driving and may get in bit of highway on the weekend or on trips/holidays. My average MPG is 17.9. I did, as posted on a thread earlier in the week, get 22 MPG on a 285 mile trip into a strong wind. I have the 3.92's. I am wanting to see those higher numbers that other guys are posting but at the same time I went from spending $110 (Can $) every week with my 07 hemi to $120 every 2 weeks with the ED.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just filled up for the first time. Hand calc'd at 21.24 mpg. EVIC showed 21.8. I think the dealer probably didn't fill up the tank "all the way" like I did. I'm sure I got another 1/2 gallon in there. I have 3.92, CC, 4x4, 6.4 bed, so it's about as big and heavy as the 1500 ED can get stock. Most of my driving is highway, I'd say 80/20, but to work is mostly rolling, and uphill going from 4300' to about 5200'. On the way down I'm guessing I'm getting 26-27 mpg. I'm doing 65-70 mph.

Taking a road trip this weekend (no trailer this time). I'll report mpg's on Sun or Mon.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've calculated my mileage in comparison to my 5.7 Tundra and I came up with about a 70% gain in fuel mileage in whatever driving situation, even towing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've found in my travels that the truck has a sweat spot at a speed just above 50 mph. I can get above 30 mpg if I stay in that zone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Worst I have seen so far is around 23.5 best is well over 30 on flat around 55

1 - 20 of 50 Posts