RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
sorry if this is a question that has been asked before. I’m new to this forum.
I bought a new 2022 RAM Laramie with a dealership installed 6” lift. The best MPG I’m got on it was 19.6. Avg is 17.8 for 2200 miles
On the last refuel I reset and drove ~150 miles and it’s down to 16.5

I searched few topics here and saw many are getting 27-29 mpg.

any ideas, suggestion?

·
Registered
225 Posts
The quickest way to send your fuel mileage to the basement is to lift it and put bigger tires on. The taller you go, the more you lose. With a 6" lift I am guessing 37's and a much rougher ride. I am a big fan of the looks, but there is a huge downside. Your MPG sounds correct for a setup like that

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
215 Posts
Welcome (y) and hate to say but I will echo FCAEmployees input, my truck is stock ride height, factory tire size, it is tuned and best I have ever gotten was just N of 27mpg, and routinely see somewhere around 23-24 local driving, before tuning and completely stock I think best ever was 21.5/24, my longest "test" is still relatively short for checking Highway mileage, but I have a heavy foot in town but don't mind "cruising" at 68mph on the highway, anything over that and my milage will fade, not sure how the guys that are doing better achieve those numbers as on a tank or two I have "babied" it trying to improve my overall, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more fuel efficient 1/2T pickup

But a truck with a 6" lift and aftermarket or larger tires I'd say you are probably gonna sacrifice some mileage, if you get discouraged see what you get with a comparably equipped gas burner, I'm thinking you'll still be happy with performance, and as mentioned you will "PAY" for play

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome (y) and hate to say but I will echo FCAEmployees input, my truck is stock ride height, factory tire size, it is tuned and best I have ever gotten was just N of 27mpg, and routinely see somewhere around 23-24 local driving, before tuning and completely stock I think best ever was 21.5/24, my longest "test" is still relatively short for checking Highway mileage, but I have a heavy foot in town but don't mind "cruising" at 68mph on the highway, anything over that and my milage will fade, not sure how the guys that are doing better achieve those numbers as on a tank or two I have "babied" it trying to improve my overall, but you'd be hard pressed to find a more fuel efficient 1/2T pickup

But a truck with a 6" lift and aftermarket or larger tires I'd say you are probably gonna sacrifice some mileage, if you get discouraged see what you get with a comparably equipped gas burner, I'm thinking you'll still be happy with performance, and as mentioned you will "PAY" for play
Thanks. This makes sense then. The lift should drop 2-3 mpg max. With what you described before tuning the mpg I’m getting seems ok. The reason I suspected what I’m getting was too low is that I saw a YouTube test getting 32 mpg on this truck.
What tuning did you do and was that at the dealership?

·
Registered
2015 Longhorn 3500 Cummins, 2022 1500 Longhorn ECODiesel
140 Posts
Is it possible the loss of MPG is due in part to winter diesel? Winter blend diesel contains additives to prevent fuel gel. These additives affect the cetane level of the fuel and result in a loss of fuel efficiency.

I notice a drop in MPGs on my ED with winter diesel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The quickest way to send your fuel mileage to the basement is to lift it and put bigger tires on. The taller you go, the more you lose. With a 6" lift I am guessing 37's and a much rougher ride. I am a big fan of the looks, but there is a huge downside. Your MPG sounds correct for a setup like that
Thanks. This is my first truck. I wanted a lifted truck and found this at the dealership with lift installed. i was actually going to buy a limited 5.7 but liked the lift on this and being diesel, cons would still be lower than the hemi.

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
215 Posts
Thanks. This makes sense then. The lift should drop 2-3 mpg max. With what you described before tuning the mpg I’m getting seems ok. The reason I suspected what I’m getting was too low is that I saw a YouTube test getting 32 mpg on this truck.
What tuning did you do and was that at the dealership?
the tuning option I used has since been discontinued/shut down:cry: and I did the work myself, (mind you my truck is a 16 ;) ) currently there are two major players AFAIC and it will depend on what kind of tune you are interested in and if they offer anything for a 22', GDE and EOC (AKA Mr.tuning) and as has been mentioned, winter blend fuel is going to kill a little mileage too

Reactions: Isaac1985

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your speedometer is programmed for the factory tire size (these trucks are stock with 32” diameter tires). If the dealer added bigger tires and didn’t reprogram the speedometer your speed and distance traveled on the odometer will be off.
Oh didn’t think of that. Make sense but how do I verify if this was done?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Oh didn’t think of that. Make sense but how do I verify if this was done?
Hi: Isaac1985... In this day and age of hi fuel prices, stock look trumps lifted look. The extra height + knobby tires if you got 'em is a sure loser of MPG's. Winter fuel won't help either!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
704 Posts
Hi Everyone
sorry if this is a question that has been asked before. I’m new to this forum.
I bought a new 2022 RAM Laramie with a dealership installed 6” lift. The best MPG I’m got on it was 19.6. Avg is 17.8 for 2200 miles
On the last refuel I reset and drove ~150 miles and it’s down to 16.5

I searched few topics here and saw many are getting 27-29 mpg.

any ideas, suggestion?
You threw away the mpg with the lift... I have a 2015 I bought lowered with 31"AT tires on it. I averaged about 23mpg overall and 34mpg on the highway... After installing the bilstien lift struts and raising the front about 3" over stock and the rear 2" over stock (so 5" higher in the front and 6" in the back from where it was lowered), with the same 4ply nitto G2 tires only in the 34" size vs 31 I now average 18mpg and im lucky to get 27mpg on the highway. (and I have the stronger 3.92 gears for this) I did correct my speedo.

·
Registered
2015 Trademan 4x4, 3.92, 6.4' bed air lift 1000 bags, bilstien shocks, 34" nitto g2s, Unknown tune.
704 Posts
The more power you lose as well... did it myself on multiple trucks and jeeps. it effects some vehicles more than others depending on the amount of extra power the vehicle was already making and its "sweetspot" as far as gearing vs power.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Your speedometer is programmed for the factory tire size (these trucks are stock with 32” diameter tires). If the dealer added bigger tires and didn’t reprogram the speedometer your speed and distance traveled on the odometer will be off.
Im fairly certain the diameter measurement used for the stock "33" tire is actually around 31" even with my brand new 34.5" tires withe 42lbs of air the actual diameter number I had to use to get my speedometer dead on at all speeds is closer to 32-33" if I remember right. I had to keep tweaking it in alphobd as I went by the math initially and it was way off. even with 2 different brands of 34" tires as I temporarily had a set of mickey Thompson 34" tires but the ride sucked and the mileage was even worse with the 10 ply tires from the extra 25lbs per tire.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I will clarify my 18mpg is mainly from stop and go city traffic. during certian times of the year when I drive longer distances to my camp or the gfs campground more the average gets up to 20mpg out of that tank so its fair to point out it does matter where you live and what type of climate your using the truck in.

Rhhh is totally correct. The computer may use the speed (but likely more so the engine load) to determine shiftpoints. It certainly counts percievd tire rotations to derive the mileage for the trip and regular odometer as well as the mpg. you can the truck know how many miles per gallon your getting if it doesnt even accurately know how many youve traveled?

BTW I forgot to mention my truck was deleted and tuned by the previous owner.. it has all sorts of goodies like a banks intake and deleted exhaust... I was really hoping that along with the 3.92 gears would have helped me with going to the 34 tires but I made a big mistake. I have been contemplating dropping down to a 33" tire and lowering the truck an inch or 2 at this point to try and save some $$
A lifted truck provides a lot more wind resistance as well. I believe the fact that my truck was lowered when I bought it, offered just as much if not more mpg advantage than the tire size.

I could got to stronger gears like 4.56... Ive done that in my last ram as well as a jeep I had and that restored a lot of power and mpg as it puts the final drive ratio/engine load close to what the engineers designed with the stock tires and gears. (then theres just the wind resistance and rotating mass weight difference of the bigger wheels) But its really hard to justify that on a 8 year old truck for looks IMO.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts