RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
picked up ed fri from metro atl & returned to southeast al; app 200 mi. 50% interstate, 40% 4 lane hwy & 10 % city traffic. speed was primarily 75 mph most of the way with short periods of 70 mph except when in city traffic. used cruise almost constantly. very pleased with evic rating of 27.5 mpg for the 1st outing. difficult to classify southeast al as hilly, but the 100 mile stretch of hwy 431 between columbus, ga & dothan, al is a continous undulating roller coaster that really taxes fuel efficiency. interesting observation was the fact that it was actually recording slightly better economy at 75 mph than at 70 mph during this section of road. the higher speed must be the sweet spot of the torque curve. today we left dothan for east tn which mirrored my earlier trek from atl. for comparison, i de-activated the aero mode during this repetitive portion of the trip; 26.2 at normal ride height vs 27.5 in aero mode along the same course. not scientific but a good real world comparison. in atl, i re-activated the aero mode for the remainder of the trip & reset the trip odometer. the second leg of the trip included 190 mi of interstate with speed primarily at 75, 30 mi of hwy with speeds ranging from 40 to 70 & 15 mi of stop & go city traffic. variables of the second leg included moderately heavier traffic & some mountainous areas of terrain. results of the second leg, again, with aero mode active, was 28.3. during areas of level hwy, i dropped the speed to 70 & watched the instantaneous mileage. i'm totally convinced that at this speed, under ideal conditions, mpg's in the low 30's are an absolute reality. i refueled at 300 mi (take advantage of cheap fuel) & did a hand calc of 26.6. this was during the period when the evic was at 27.5 for 200 mi & 26.2 for 100mi. the evic was probably accurate within 1/2 mpg.

for reference, my truck is a longhorn 4x4 cc long bed with 3.55.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's great! Thank You for sharing.
I have a longhorn on order and will be driving from Pa to Denver in July, I fully intend on trying to break 30mpg for the trip

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Thanks for the information. That's a lot of reporting.

Kind of hard to read without capital letters but you did use sentences and a space after the period. Good job.

Reactions: gleb

·
Registered
231 Posts
I too have found the sweet spot for mileage to be between 70 and 75 mph when on the interstate. I was driving in the 80s with mileage in the 20 to 21 mph range. I slowed it to 70-75 and have managed a 24.3 mpg average with 50% mixed city and highway driving. I too have a 4x4 with the aero mode.

·
Registered
396 Posts
thanks for the thorough report. I don't use caps most of the time either.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information. That's a lot of reporting.

Kind of hard to read without capital letters but you did use sentences and a space after the period. Good job.
i don't use capital letters because:

a: i never took a typing course & haven't found the key that says "capital" yet

b: i found the capital letter key but it seems to be broken

c: i'm a cranky old fart & don't give a damn

d: i discovered e e cummings during an impressionable period of my life

when i don't know the answer to a multiple choice question, i find c is most often correct.

Reactions: gleb

·
Registered
36 Posts
Haha, that reminds of some dealings with a guy a couple of years ago, who typed about 50 words a minute and 50 typos per second. It was tough to decode his typing, questioned him about his spell checker one day. He actually responded that he had issues with his keyboard, he considered it being faulty! Scheisster!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i don't use capital letters because:

a: i never took a typing course & haven't found the key that says "capital" yet

b: i found the capital letter key but it seems to be broken

c: i'm a cranky old fart & don't give a damn

d: i discovered e e cummings during an impressionable period of my life

when i don't know the answer to a multiple choice question, i find c is most often correct.
The real answer may be that you don't care about communicating. People who want to be understood pay attention to their writing.

On the other hand, maybe you are a Haiku writer and don't know it.

at, in, on, by, for
relating time or place
lakeshore pebbles

Reactions: StraydogEOD

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The real answer may be that you don't care about communicating. People who want to be understood pay attention to their writing.

On the other hand, maybe you are a Haiku writer and don't know it.

at, in, on, by, for
relating time or place
lakeshore pebbles

before i received my truck, i was hungry for any info from those who were driving, especially concerning mileage. when my truck arrived, i was anxious to share my experience in return. when attention was called to my style of writing, i simply made an attempt to interject a bit of sarcastic humor & i feel the vast majority took it as such. for those of you that saw it in any other light, please accept my humble apology. now, can we turn the page & let's just talk trux, whatcha say??

·
Registered
693 Posts
We've a couple different generations in the forum. There's the youngsters in their 20's, those of us that are old enough to be their fathers, and those in between. The kind of written English that the 20 somethings became comfortable with in the casual world of electronic communication-with-buddies that they alone grew up with, would have been the cause of many whacks-in-the-head when us older types were in school.

Know the other guy's frame of reference. He will reach conclusions based on your writing style. That's how humans work. He can't see that you're a clean-cut lean fighting machine, all he can see is your writing.

Youngsters...just remember that when it comes to job interview time, do it our way.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I haven't got on a long run with my truck yet. Just around town and some hwy . Getting 19.4 to 21.2 only 700 miles on it . Hope it gets better. I am tuff on it. I haven't baby it. See what happens still very new.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I haven't got on a long run with my truck yet. Just around town and some hwy . Getting 19.4 to 21.2 only 700 miles on it . Hope it gets better. I am tuff on it. I haven't baby it. See what happens still very new.
It will get better on a long ride. From what you are saying... you may be causing the lower MPG's. (lots of start-stop, and hard on the throttle)

One other thing... with "City" only driving... you build soot faster in the DPF, and it will start to spray fuel into the exhaust to clean it out. When that happens, the MPG's go down. I'm lucky. My normal commute takes me though a section of 60mph that's at least 5 mi long. And that stretch alone is able to push my mpg's into the 24 range, and keep the DPF clean.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Diesels generally become more efficient with age when they limber up a bit. Hang in there & she' ll do better. Where it will really shine is on a nice long road trip. Just did a second fillup & hand calc was 26.5. The evic was showing 26.6. Never had a vehicle with such an accurate computer.

·
Registered
13,680 Posts
Sure agree with your thoughts on that mileage computer. It's a pleasant surprise to find out it really is close, + or - just a tiny bit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts