RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
is everyone paying full sticker on these trucks??
In Canada we are getting the $8500 discount off MSRP. In my case I got an additional $1500 off for 'Holiday Bonus Cash' because I ordered 2 days before Christmas + I got employee pricing which took another $4000 or so off ... total of $14K off MSRP.

Now our pricing and discounts are different in Canada but you should get all current offers in the US.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
We have to distinguish between the U.S. and Canada operations which are separate parts of Chrysler (now Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV). The sales, operations and currencies are different in the two countries, although the Ram trucks come from either Michigan or Mexico. The early Canadian customers appear to have gotten outstanding discounts. Not so much in the U.S.

Each of the 9 U.S. regions differs in popular models, incentives and dealer policies. In the Western Region where I live most Rams are 4x4 and crew cabs are popular. It seems that a typical price here is dealer invoice minus holdback (better than Families and Friends but not as good as Employee Pricing). Chrysler incentives add to the savings; the current lockable incentive for the crew cab is $2500 and there are other incentives that may apply (existing truck owner, special cash rewards, etc.). In the past Ram Truck Month has offered good deals in March but no telling what is in store this year.

·
Registered
366 Posts
is everyone paying full sticker on these trucks??
nah man I'm paying way under sticker but I ordered when all the holiday stuff was on and I really squeezed em. I got the factory rebates(8500+1500+800 for extended warranty) plus just shy of another $2000 through the negotiation process.

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
One thing I have never figured out is how you can get time-dependent discounts when you don't have the truck to buy?

Mine is on order. There was no reason to consider factory discount issues because you do not know what might be active AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY.
Sure can see incentives at the time of purchase. Right now there is NO purchase, only order. When that vehicle comes in is when you would deal with the exact price.

·
Registered
366 Posts
One thing I have never figured out is how you can get time-dependent discounts when you don't have the truck to buy?

Mine is on order. There was no reason to consider factory discount issues because you do not know what might be active AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY.
Sure can see incentives at the time of purchase. Right now there is NO purchase, only order. When that vehicle comes in is when you would deal with the exact price.
We're entitled to whatever the best deal is at time of delivery. Financing works with the price you agreed on and then can be adjusted at delivery as well

·
Registered
575 Posts

Factory incentives are buyers option. You can apply incentives that where available on the day the order went in. If some other incentive from the factory comes along and offers more incentives and is active at time of delivery you have the option to take the better one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We have to distinguish between the U.S. and Canada operations which are separate parts of Chrysler (now Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV). The sales, operations and currencies are different in the two countries, although the Ram trucks come from either Michigan or Mexico. The early Canadian customers appear to have gotten outstanding discounts. Not so much in the U.S.

Each of the 9 U.S. regions differs in popular models, incentives and dealer policies. In the Western Region where I live most Rams are 4x4 and crew cabs are popular. It seems that a typical price here is dealer invoice minus holdback (better than Families and Friends but not as good as Employee Pricing). Chrysler incentives add to the savings; the current lockable incentive for the crew cab is $2500 and there are other incentives that may apply (existing truck owner, special cash rewards, etc.). In the past Ram Truck Month has offered good deals in March but no telling what is in store this year.
Bigfoot, this is helpful info. My question is should I negotiate this price NOW when I am placing my order? Or once the truck gets here? Stopped in to talk to the local dealer and am ready to place my order, but want to know that I am getting a fair price before I commit to them getting a truck in.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Bigfoot, this is helpful info. My question is should I negotiate this price NOW when I am placing my order? Or once the truck gets here? Stopped in to talk to the local dealer and am ready to place my order, but want to know that I am getting a fair price before I commit to them getting a truck in.
Both. Never stop clawing for more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dagotto im in the exact same boat as you are not sure how to start.i went in today and it was interesting cause I've never order a knew vehicle till know. I feel like I'm playing chess and it's just the opening moves.im planing on making another move here real soon just want to get some advice .probably going to get some other quotes seems logical.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

Incentives are confusing. Some of them are "lockable" at the time of ordering, some are not. They vary by region. Some incentives cannot be combined with other ones, some can. They change every month, recently on the 5th day. Are your eyes glazing over yet? I know mine are! Don't trust the dealer to know the incentives either.

I recommend that when you get a VIN showing that your truck is scheduled to be built, call the Chrysler Incentive Center at 1-800-227-0757. With your VIN, ZIP code and a few questions they can tell you what incentives you qualify for. You can choose the best ones including those that were lockable when you ordered or those active when you take delivery. They will give you the codes that the dealer uses to lower your price. They may total several thousand dollars so it is worth the effort.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I locked in a price when I ordered plus incentives TBD. If you do not put down a deposit ($500 in my case) then I suppose you could delay negotiating until the end, although I don't like surprises and do not enjoy haggling. Fair price probably depends on where you are, but a good point to start might be invoice price minus the dealer holdback; that gives the dealer some profit and you several thousand below retail. If you like to bargain then you may be able to go lower, although a lot will depend on the diesel's popularity and the dealer's eagerness to sell it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dagotto im in the exact same boat as you are not sure how to start.i went in today and it was interesting cause I've never order a knew vehicle till know. I feel like I'm playing chess and it's just the opening moves.im planing on making another move here real soon just want to get some advice .probably going to get some other quotes seems logical.
So here is what I've found out: (thanks to spending some money on a consumer reports detailed cost report. Worth it I hope.)

For my Tradesman with options- MSRP including options and destination fees is $39,500. Dealers Invoice is right around $36,200. Holdback is somewhere around $1200. So Dealer's true cost is somewhere around $35,000. All incentives are from Ram and not the dealer.

Today, Dealers first discussion point was MSRP minus incentives. I'm thinking that paying a dealer $4,500 of profit to order and clean my truck for me before I pick it up is a little steep. So I'm thinking $37,500 MINUS any incentives is a closer to fair price.

Dealer makes a couple of grand, my final price should be somewhere around $36- 36.5 k after incentives. So now all I need to do is figure out how I want to negotiate. I expect I will have to play "ugly" and contact a mega dealer to get my local dealer to play ball.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
366 Posts
So here is what I've found out: (thanks to spending some money on a consumer reports detailed cost report. Worth it I hope.)

For my Tradesman with options- MSRP including options and destination fees is $39,500. Dealers Invoice is right around $36,200. Holdback is somewhere around $1200. So Dealer's true cost is somewhere around $35,000. All incentives are from Ram and not the dealer.

Today, Dealers first discussion point was MSRP minus incentives. I'm thinking that paying a dealer $4,500 of profit to order and clean my truck for me before I pick it up is a little steep. So I'm thinking $37,500 MINUS any incentives is a closer to fair price.

Dealer makes a couple of grand, my final price should be somewhere around $36- 36.5 k after incentives. So now all I need to do is figure out how I want to negotiate. I expect I will have to play "ugly" and contact a mega dealer to get my local dealer to play ball.

Thoughts?
You have a pretty good handle on things, but I really would like to suggest that at whatever dealer you want to actually buy you should walk out at least once so that they're forced onto their heels. They might drop down a little more bi-weekly or monthly to close you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in Newportnews VA USA. I talked to the dealer last night. ON 40K truck they said 37K. Truecar has the same truck at about 35K. I am taking it another dealer to see what offer.

Tradsmen CrewCab 4X2 5 fort bed.(could not order he ecodiesel with the 6foot)
3.0 Diesel
8Speed

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here in Newportnews VA USA. I talked to the dealer last night. ON 40K truck they said 37K. Truecar has the same truck at about 35K. I am taking it another dealer to see what offer.

Tradsmen CrewCab 4X2 5 fort bed.(could not order he ecodiesel with the 6foot)
3.0 Diesel
8Speed
Pretty sure the bed length resrtriction is due to the parts involved with the fuel/exhaust equipment and the electrical components involved with the rear fuel equipment on the Ecodiesel. The quad cab 6'4 box and the crew cab 5'7 box are the same frame so they'd be the same components. A Crew Cab long box would be the only vehicle that makes use of that frame with the components, so expect to maybe see it later down the line but not the first year or two.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also i am thinking about deleting the Carpet. I do fish from time to time and will be getting the truck wet feet as well. any ideas on delete of the carpet?

·
Registered
13,671 Posts
DaggoOtto and others provided some good information. Those numbers are about where I am. Never talked of factory incentives because that is not dealer related. My dealer-related deal is the invoice. They get to keep "holdbacks" and other perks.

Another thing is any "dealer fee". On my original document from the dealer it's listed as a document fee. That's NOT the title/transfer/license fee. I'm going to have to pay that ridiculous thing but this "document" fee is often called a "dealer fee". I am not paying that and it's typical at around $600. Most all dealers add some kind of "dealer fee" on top of the sale to pad their profits. You can negotiate that out at order/purchase or walk.

·
Registered
396 Posts
EgoDiesel, are saying you dont think I will be able to order a crew cab 6'4" for 1 to 2 years??? that will change everything for me. I want an Outdoorsman CC 6'4" bed. I can wait a few more months to order but not a couple more years.

Reactions: sledogmilionair

·
Registered
29 Posts
EgoDiesel, are saying you dont think I will be able to order a crew cab 6'4" for 1 to 2 years??? that will change everything for me. I want an Outdoorsman CC 6'4" bed. I can wait a few more months to order but not a couple more years.
I ordered a Crew Cab Outdoorsman with the 6'4" box.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts