RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides the factory set, lets hear some of your suggestions for mud flaps. I would like to do the least amount of drilling as I can but if i need to drill to get a quality set I will.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Besides the factory set, lets hear some of your suggestions for mud flaps. I would like to do the least amount of drilling as I can but if i need to drill to get a quality set I will.
Once again I'm stoked to plug another product from WeatherTech lol...They're the hard-style, moulded mudflap from the company who makes almost all the aftermarket stuff I'm buying(mats, vent visors AND hood deflector). The flaps require NO DRILLING, don't interfere with factory flares, and they fit flawlessly because it's all laser-fitted and they require practically no change year to year within a body style. If you bury your truck in deep snow on a cold day(-20 celsius or worse), you need to dig it out before you move or they're busted. Weather Tech's products are designed+made by a Canadian company and I assure you everything they make is designed for weather extremes at both ends of the thermometer. Cheaper and more durable than factory, but I'm not sure how to order them because I have a dealer locally.

MudFlap No-Drill DigitalFit Product Education Center | WeatherTech.ca

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you get a lot of snow, or do a lot of off-roading I'd recommend some softer mud flaps to help reduce the chance of them breaking or messing up your wheel well. For no drill, the WeatherTec is probably the way to go. I'm tempted to get a pair like that, but worried about them being solid flaps.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Aren't there holes already in the wheel wells that you can just drill a set of generic flaps to use?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I always get the cheaper more flexable ones. only drilling is on the flap itself and there are pre-drilled holes in the wheel well already. I have had the hard ones and the can cause damage if they get caught on something.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I am going to try the Weathertech ones - before I order - can anyone tell me if the Laramie has fender flairs (I can't remember). My truck has not arrived yet, but thought I would order the accessories - but need to confirm I am looking at the right model.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I am going to try the Weathertech ones - before I order - can anyone tell me if the Laramie has fender flairs (I can't remember). My truck has not arrived yet, but thought I would order the accessories - but need to confirm I am looking at the right model.
My Laramie Limited does not have fender flares.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The laramie and laramie longhorn have fender flairs the limited does not... the standard weather tech's are made for NO fender flairs... I got em on my truck they look really good, if you decide to buy you'll be happy!

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Perfect! I wasn't sure the shop I got mine from only had the one kind....

·
Registered
555 Posts
Went ahead and ordered the set for Fender Flairs. WIll try to post some pictures - but need to a truck for that to happen...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here's what the Weathertechs look like installed on a truck with fender flairs.
Perfect fit. Easy install and they feel good and firm even with just the two screws.
Notice that the fronts touch the step. That's the wheel to wheel step from the factory.

frontmudflap_back.jpg frontmudflap_front.jpg frontmudflap_side.jpg rearmudflap_back.jpg rearmudflap_side.jpg

·
Registered
360 Posts
I think there is another thread on this with many posts. I put the Weathertech front and rear on and really like them. Fit like a glove, easy to install (if you can turn a screwdriver or socket) and look great. Can't beat the warranty either. I also bought a full set of floor liners and bug guard.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Since I have a 4x4, I'm going with with Mopar heavy rubber mud flaps. The molded ones with rip right off in most off road situations. Doesn't have to be hard core either, even just getting to a proper fishing hole.

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Rhombus. You have a picture of them.

I agree. Hard ones are not good if you even do back road stuff.

Messed up and used Husky on the front and some old rubber ones on the back. The old ones are great. Already had trouble hitting and tearing out a mounting bolt on a front, hard one.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Apologies. I should have noted I haven't received them yet. I'll post photos when I get them in. I learned the the hard way on my CRD Jeep Liberty a few years back. Both how to rip off the molded ones and how to trap the heavy rubber one between a rock and the tire. :)

·
Registered
13,677 Posts
Good point. If you hang one too low and then back up over logs, rocks or banks, like I often do, that flap could get under the tire.

That would rip the flap out from its' mounting.

Most drivers don't use their trucks off road. I hunt in Georgia and have to run dirt trails to get back to where I can unload the quad to go farther. Out West you often run "two tracks" (small dirt trails with two tire tracks) and get into situations prairie dog hunting. Occasionally it's "no track" areas as you cut across what you think is reasonable ground.

I don't run off road but often drive off the paved roads.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just put the WeatherTech Mud flaps on both the front and rear. As advertised the went on in 15 min or less and I think they look great on this truck. I would highly recommend them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts