RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ram ED Laramie, Banks exhaust, Bilstein 5100 level
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.facebook.com/ecodieselo...kDh1JTl6FTGIVU0PxmRWI04vU16lo&tn=<,P-R

Has anyone done this yet!? It looks pretty damn good and gives us another option outside of the GDE, SFT or HDDS that are typically discussed. This is from MRTuning, so a known quantity people have had experience with but in a format I hadn't seen before.

I am still relatively new to all of this and I am still torn between going EPA compliant (GDE) or getting a little more performance. I have a 2018 Laramie with 60,000m on the truck and 5,000 on new motor with about 18 months left on the warranty. Plan on having this truck a long time and do a little bit of towing throughout the year pulling a 20' NorthRiver boat and smaller trailers for things around the house.

Any thoughts? I like the ability to have multiple options on the fly.

·
Registered
378 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/ecodieselo...kDh1JTl6FTGIVU0PxmRWI04vU16lo&tn=<,P-R

Has anyone done this yet!? It looks pretty damn good and gives us another option outside of the GDE, SFT or HDDS that are typically discussed. This is from MRTuning, so a known quantity people have had experience with but in a format I hadn't seen before.

I am still relatively new to all of this and I am still torn between going EPA compliant (GDE) or getting a little more performance. I have a 2018 Laramie with 60,000m on the truck and 5,000 on new motor with about 18 months left on the warranty. Plan on having this truck a long time and do a little bit of towing throughout the year pulling a 20' NorthRiver boat and smaller trailers for things around the house.

Any thoughts? I like the ability to have multiple options on the fly.
MR Tuning mostly tunes for top-end WOT throttle. Someone got a dyno with the 40hp tune. Yes it does add 40 hp, but the change in power below 2800-3000 RPM is almost minimal. My eco very rarely revs over 3000 rpm even while towing.

Facebook

In reality, the GDE tune will feel faster because the entire power curve is raised from 1500 rpm to redline.

FCA Eco Diesel 3.0L V6 Performance & Fuel Economy - Green Diesel Engineering

For towing I would take the GDE tune all day. But I do have a pre-EPA tune, so if you want the EGR turned of then MR might be the way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MR Tuning mostly tunes for top-end WOT throttle. Someone got a dyno with the 40hp tune. Yes it does add 40 hp, but the change in power below 2800-3000 RPM is almost minimal. My eco very rarely revs over 3000 rpm even while towing.

Facebook

In reality, the GDE tune will feel faster because the entire power curve is raised from 1500 rpm to redline.

FCA Eco Diesel 3.0L V6 Performance & Fuel Economy - Green Diesel Engineering

For towing I would take the GDE tune all day. But I do have a pre-EPA tune, so if you want the EGR turned of then MR might be the way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great info. It sounds like for sure the pre-EPA GDE is the consensus preferred tune. Having just picked up my 2018 a few months ago I have the dilemma of dealing with the EPA tune or eliminating the EGR from the equation and that seems to be the great debate which many in the forum have very strong opinions about. I really just want to make sure I protect myself, but also give myself the best chance to enjoy this truck for many years and tons of miles if at all possible. I appreciate all of the feedback and hope to make some sort of decision sooner than later. I will keep everyone posted on which way I go!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
I'm gonna give the multi-map tune a run and see how it does. My baseline will be my pre-ban GDE tune I've ran for 120k miles. Keep in mind the multi-map tune is bench flash only, so consider that when making your plans. You'll need at a minimum a spare ECM if dealer visits are a concern.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna give the multi-map tune a run and see how it does. My baseline will be my pre-ban GDE tune I've ran for 120k miles. Keep in mind the multi-map tune is bench flash only, so consider that when making your plans. You'll need at a minimum a spare ECM if dealer visits are a concern.
Excuse the ignorance as I learn and I'm glad you chimed in Bounty! So this requires the MPVI2 HPTuner which EOC will rent, but I'd rather just buy unless there is a better option. I thought a bench flash required removing the ECM and sending it in. Does this MPVI2 essentially do the equivalent of a bench flash through the OBD2? I'm doing my own maintenance so the only dealer concern would be the 18 months of warranty left on the replacement motor they put in it about 5000 miles before I purchased it. Or any other recall that might pop up along the way.

Either way I am curious to see what your results are compared to the pre-ban GDE.

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GDE Hot Tune, Rebel front end conversion.
179 Posts
This is my opinion, and I’m glad @Bounty Hunter chimed in about where the power is located in the rpm range. If you’re driving your truck like a sports car then maybe MRTuning would be more interesting. If you’re just driving and commuting with your truck daily the GDE tune will be perfect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pre-EPA or either GDE? I'm definitely not taking it to the track or trying to make my tailgate black with smoke, but like to drive and have some fun. It seems the EPA GDE tune helps dramatically with EGR, but doesn't totally do away with known issues. If I could locate a pre-ban GDE maybe I could tackle that with the forums help. Still learning as much as I can. Just don't want to make too many expensive mistakes along the way.

·
Registered
2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, GDE Hot Tune, Rebel front end conversion.
179 Posts
Pre-EPA or either GDE? I'm definitely not taking it to the track or trying to make my tailgate black with smoke, but like to drive and have some fun. It seems the EPA GDE tune helps dramatically with EGR, but doesn't totally do away with known issues. If I could locate a pre-ban GDE maybe I could tackle that with the forums help. Still learning as much as I can. Just don't want to make too many expensive mistakes along the way.
I run a pre-epa GDE tune and like it. I don’t have anything to compare to either. You will be able to locate a used pre epa GDE tune on Facebook or even this forum. I’m sure the new GDE tune is great as well. Yes it does still allow operation of the EGR but I don’t think there is any documentation of someone’s oil coming back with too much soot. As long as oil is changed on time.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
If I could locate a pre-ban GDE maybe I could tackle that with the forums help. Still learning as much as I can. Just don't want to make too many expensive mistakes along the way.
I thought there was one on this forum that was just lowered to $450.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Excuse the ignorance as I learn and I'm glad you chimed in Bounty! So this requires the MPVI2 HPTuner which EOC will rent, but I'd rather just buy unless there is a better option. I thought a bench flash required removing the ECM and sending it in. Does this MPVI2 essentially do the equivalent of a bench flash through the OBD2? I'm doing my own maintenance so the only dealer concern would be the 18 months of warranty left on the replacement motor they put in it about 5000 miles before I purchased it. Or any other recall that might pop up along the way.

Either way I am curious to see what your results are compared to the pre-ban GDE.
By bench flash I meant I sent an ECM to EOC. I might have a few ECM's on hand lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought there was one on this forum that was just lowered to $450.
With the ECM's is there a certain year I need to look for to be compatible with my 2018? Also, I assume buying an ECM with a pre-ban GDE you get what you get. Meaning I need to find one set up for 3.55 gears and if there is no regen message or braking you can't add that because GDE won't touch these anymore. Is that correct?

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
With the ECM's is there a certain year I need to look for to be compatible with my 2018? Also, I assume buying an ECM with a pre-ban GDE you get what you get. Meaning I need to find one set up for 3.55 gears and if there is no regen message or braking you can't add that because GDE won't touch these anymore. Is that correct?
You are correct, the tune options are set and can't be changed. '14-'19 Gen2 ECM should work for you. Hold out for an '18 if you're picky.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts