RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest round of comments about the dealership staff makes we wonder what the customers of the people on this forum would have to say about how they do their job?

Probably not a popular question but it sure is easy to be critical and it sure is easy to think the other guy's job is so easy and yours is so difficult. I fall into this trap sometimes and usually hate it afterwards if something causes me to think about it.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I can recognize lazy , and not interested , when you work in a trade
it is not necessary anymore to actually show interest in what others do , so most don't ,
as soon as someone asks any small question , the face tells you , I don't know , I don''t want to know .
direct result of the "" I don't have to study , they are not aloud to fail me "" generation .
those are the ones we dare comment about Howie , the smart ones do great .
Just my 2c.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
When my customers complain that their tools are acting up, I politely remind them that I'm working on the most complicated machines ever made by man, and not a simple car. Shuts them up pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Unfortunately lots of dealerships not just fca are full of parts changers that only think about money and they dont get paid to put in extra effort. Basic troubleshooting only pays one hour so most are willing to put in very little effort they would rather do something that pays well like brake jobs that take 30 minutes but pay one and a half hours. Most industries outside of automotive see the issue and stick with hourly for that reason.

·
Registered
740 Posts
1 thing that irks me, my dealership treats me great, I've seen and overheard where women who were not car savy were given inflated estimates. My brother's wife took his 35,000 mile Jeep Commander in for an oil changer, they had her convinced, it needed $1,500 of parts and work to get an inspection sticker. My brother is a state certified inspection mechanic. Brought the Jeep back to his shop, tires were half worn out, brake pads were like new, hemi spark plugs were still fine, on and on. He drives a Ford now. Heard other women getting the shaft, that they would never try on a man... It's not just my Dodge dealer, Toyota, Mazda etc just as bad..

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I can recognize lazy , and not interested , when you work in a trade
it is not necessary anymore to actually show interest in what others do , so most don't ,
as soon as someone asks any small question , the face tells you , I don't know , I don''t want to know .
direct result of the "" I don't have to study , they are not aloud to fail me "" generation .
those are the ones we dare comment about Howie , the smart ones do great .
Just my 2c.
Well said brother...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
1 thing that irks me, my dealership treats me great, I've seen and overheard where women who were not car savy were given inflated estimates. My brother's wife took his 35,000 mile Jeep Commander in for an oil changer, they had her convinced, it needed $1,500 of parts and work to get an inspection sticker. My brother is a state certified inspection mechanic. Brought the Jeep back to his shop, tires were half worn out, brake pads were like new, hemi spark plugs were still fine, on and on. He drives a Ford now. Heard other women getting the shaft, that they would never try on a man... It's not just my Dodge dealer, Toyota, Mazda etc just as bad..
Happens all the time.
I was getting my Duramax emissions checked one day and sat in the waiting room waiting for the work to be done whilst the service "adviser" told some woman that she needed about $3,000 worth of brake work for her $800.00 car.
It was everything I could do not to bud in and flip out on this clown but he was just doing his job which is to of course rip off people when they don't know any better.

Suddenly the "advisers" phone rang which gave me a chance to speak with the lady where I convinced her to go somewhere else to get a 2nd opinion. That clown had her convinced she would die or kill someone if she drove her car. I asked her, did the car make any grinding noises when she braked ?- NO. Does it pull to the left or right when braking ? - NO. Does it stop? - YUP.
That is when a light went off in her head and suddenly she had renewed confidence about her car, thanked me and then left the garage.

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
Just got my truck back from a week at a "franchised" body shop. About a month ago I was parked in a shopping center lot waiting for the wife to shop. In a lined spot some elderly lady backed out across the isle and all the way across, into the side of my truck. Had to contact police as she did not have or know about her insurance. They came, found the information and I took many relevant pictures.

HER insurance took statements, investigated and agreed to fix it for me. They chose the repair shop and also gave me a rental Dodge Challenger. If the lady would have taken me up on my offer it could have been fixed for less than $500. I got an estimate but her husband said to let insurance handle it. They did.

That body shop took five days to do the repair. Their billing showed complete removal of the cap, bed, disassembly of parts, bumper etc. They then added paint and supplies to get a total of about $1,300 PLUS my rental car. I looked at the repair. Fine.

Only kicker is there was NO evidence of there ever been any cap or bed removal. I have tools, parts, clamps, wire ties for extra tank vent and more totally undisturbed. Scam. Bet they sucked out the large dent with cups of different sizes. Then guessing they did a small hole for a final pull with simple weld, polish and patch paint. That's what I see. These shops sure rip off people to make their big bucks.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
No surprise however they really bilked/cheated the insurance company.
The rest of us will get bent over because of these unscrupulous shops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts