RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
100% my stupid fault...had a 'chirping noise' on and off for months. Front hubs were not culprit as I once suspected. Last night cruise set on 80 South of Columbia the 'Engine Overheating' light came on followed by 'Battery Saver Mode' light.

On the side of I-26 underneath the truck determined the pulley tensioner bearing froze up causing the serpentine belt to snap tearing off the crank case pulley shield.

Coolant temp never over 248 and quickly cooled with hood up and engine off in 32*F weather. Oil temp never above 195 and smelled fine.

Ended up babying it 5 miles once cooled w/ coolant temp never again above 150 as hood was vented. Left at CJDR in Orangeburg, SC with my OBD II plugged in and DO NOT FLASH written everywhere. Ubered to the airport and rented a car home.

This is 100% my fault, found many threads SINCE last night, and highly suggest y'all not expect your original OEM tensioner to surpass 5,050 hours of use.

If anyone knows this dealer please PM me your experience and point of contact there.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really should look at mine closer its been making a squeal noise for over a year when cold.
It seems and easy fix/replacement from underneath.

My 7.3 has never had a crankcase pulley cover as the ED does. Is the cover an essential to replace or not really?

·
Registered
686 Posts
My last Ram with a hemi had the tensioner fail just as I drove into my driveway. I head the pully actually come off, made a "ting" as it hit the road in front of my house. Was at around 225,000 miles, best as I can remember. Surprised yours' went so long before crapping out!

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
I've been fortunate to never have one fail at 7,000 hours 371k and over 5,000 hours 280k. But I will inspect and test. Probably be a good idea preventive at this point.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Settled up via phone today. The idler pulley went out snapping the belt. 2 tensioner pulleys had 'play' in them. All 3 replaced and new belt. Since 41,000 was on fuel filter had them replace too. $800 parts labor so I'm very fine with that from a dealer 300 miles away. I DO NOT consider this a mechanical issue, rather wear and tear like brake pads etc.

Service writer Samantha called me first thing Monday am saying: "read your message, we will not flash".

Picking up in SC Friday and driving to VA then home to FL. 100% confident in my ED!!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To close the loop...Dealer in Orangeburg, SC was a great experience. Sam was very nice to work with...called me 1st thing Monday am stating her GM got my email through website and "We wont flash or even plug it in!" I would highly recommend this dealer for those in the Orangeburg/Columbia SC area.

Drove back rental and picked her up noon Friday, 350 miles later we were in Lynchburg, Va where my son won his Conference track meet as a member of UNFs Sprint Track Team. Drove her back to Florida last night w/o issue arriving home at 3am.

My on/off noise I thought was wheel bearings turned out to be the idler pulley. The other 2 'tensioner' pulleys had play and were replaced. My hope being these new parts last for another 204,793 miles and 5041 hours as the OEM did.

She remains mechanically flawless at 206,000 and 5065 hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
You got me with the title ,o_O
figured main bearing .....
tensioner = much better
thanks for all the work description .

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hahahah...lets see if this can be diagnosed...

"Forum ED Bearing Derangement Syndrome" perhaps? FEDEBS for short?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts