RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know very little about the Ram ED and even less about trucks in general but I do know a little about the questions the case managers and company engineers are asking. With that said, I caution anyone who is contemplating adding any aftermarket gizmos or liquids to their ED and expect their factory warranty to be honored.

During my ongoing CEL issues they asked me about 20 different questions all pertaining to any possible modifications to the power plant and the truck in general.

By the way, I have the truck back now, the CEL is off but they told me not to be surprised if it pops on. The CEL came on because of code P2459 1E0C 0426 I am waiting on 02 sensor and exhaust temp sensor.

Hope it helps.

R
Mark

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Maybe...but they also may be biased because the big diesel guys mod so much they figure the ED will be too. Not saying they won't void a warranty, but what you describe is exactly what I expect a factory person to start with. It's also a good starting point. Eliminate the simple and obvious, and work from there.

Still, decent advice for folks to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing your experience Mark. :)

·
Registered
730 Posts
I think they're more less trying to determine if all or any of these issues CAN be caused by an aftermarket product. I don't think they're going after voiding warranties, I think they're going after developing plausible deniability to a massive recall. Every case they can dismiss and chalk up to anything aftermarket is a case against a recall, and who will buy this truck without considering SOME modifications.

...you know, IMO of course. I don't exactly sleep with my tinfoil hat but I am skeptical to think that they'll all the sudden develop interest in going after the aftermarket folks. Hasn't worked out so well for them historically.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Riding a motorcycle as much as I do for a hobby one gets to see a massive aftermarket of parts. Time and time again I have found that the aftermarket part has been an EPIC fail or has been found to cause the EPIC fail. I ride arguably one of the most reliable motorcycles out there the Honda Gold Wing and each of the last 2 issues with my bike were an "add on". I am now very selective about anything I add and usually try to purchase an item that has all of the accessories/power built in.
Can't blame RAM for working to deal with this issue.

·
Registered
308 Posts
IMHO, not all add ons are bad and not all are good. I believe the car companies spend tons of $$$ on R&D to deliver what they feel gives you the best value for your cash, and if a relatively small upgrade would make huge gains in HP or MPG's then why wouldn't they. Yes you can add to your performance but usually when you do as an example, the more HP you begin to lessen the life of the machine. As I age, I have come to the conclusion if I wanted more of something in a vehicle, I buy it new and I am done..............Just MHO

·
Registered
396 Posts
IMHO, not all add ons are bad and not all are good. I believe the car companies spend tons of $$$ on R&D to deliver what they feel gives you the best value for your cash, and if a relatively small upgrade would make huge gains in HP or MPG's then why wouldn't they. Yes you can add to your performance but usually when you do as an example, the more HP you begin to lessen the life of the machine. As I age, I have come to the conclusion if I wanted more of something in a vehicle, I buy it new and I am done..............Just MHO
I don' agree with that 100%. They also have to meet a lot of regulations the biggest one for robbing power is emissions. We get screwed even further because they have to meet California's laws. We would be much better off if we had a vehicle for California and one for the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
As I age, I have come to the conclusion if I wanted more of something in a vehicle, I buy it new and I am done..............Just MHO
Select the right tool for the job. ;)

I once heavily modified a Golf TDI. More than doubles the power through injector, turbo and ECU upgrades. A TON cheaper on my diesel than on a gas engined car in my case, and still retained good fuel economy, reliability, etc. replaces the suspension, limited slip diff, etc. it was a great performer. I sold it to a friend who still has it today when we moved to the US.

....where I bought a BMW Z4 roadster, which I auto crossed a couple times. It's 100% stock save for an arm rest and stubby antenna! neither of which I consider performance mods.

With my Golf I built a sporty car that could turn well when needed and was quick. With the Z4 I got a sports car. Turns telepathically, is much faster and has been as reliable as the VW was. Now, those who play with BMW straight six engines know this well, but these engines are under stressed, and capable of oh so much more. ;) will I mod it? Nope. If I want more power I'll buy a car built with more power from the factory. Surest way to have your cake, with virtually unlimited refills, for a long time, IMO.

NOT knocking those who mod...just saying that as your path diverges from what the factory built and tested, you walk alone with less support, save your own wallet.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Agree with right tool for the job. Emissions is challenging to deal with, and we pay through the nose for it - but I just don't budge there are cheap mods that deliver power, with minimal risk. I have learned the hard way, and this time won't waste money on exhaust, CAI, and will resist the temptation for a tuner (would love to try, not worth the risk). I'm glad this engine already has synthetic oil, and a good filter - and will not stray from those. I have benefited from "policy warranty" on a honda trans replacement and various Mercedes fixes, all because I followed maintenance schedules at the dealer. If I want more performance I'll buoy the nice ride save up for a sporty car with great handling. And enjoy the nice ride the air suspension offers, and smile at the nice economy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts