RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
The dealer I bought mine from told me they were doing an engine in one with 25,000 kms that had not had the oil changed or even checked. Warranty denied because of it and the price tag was $24k

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
7k seems reasonable installed with a 3 yr warranty. Has to be 2k in labor alone.
I remember people saying that a new eng was in the 12 - 15k range a while back.
That was my fear on the cost, so when he said 7k I nearly laughed. Still a lot of money, but more manageable.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
627 Posts
Just to add a little more knowledge to this thread , One of our moderators had his Low oil press light come on :eek: But he didn’t have any engine noise and I believe he was leaving on vacation. If I remember correctly he kept driving to a dealership had it checked out and very happily it was just his oil pressure sender failing. I’ve never seen a oil pressure sender go bad on this forum except his .. I believe knowing the history with this engine,That’s an O Sh-t moment. Engines are not going to spin bearings and not have any noise ...

And please correct me , if my post isn’t correct, I believe this was several years ago....
I've seen tractors spin bearings with no indications before hand. Usually happens on high hours and/or an oil pump failure. They do, from time to time, just go out.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got a call from the service writer.

Some of the glow plugs are seized in the old heads. They recommended replacing all of them.

They also found metal shavings in the oil cooler, so they're wanting to replace that too. I expected a few things to be found when they started doing the work, so I budgeted for that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2 cents- spend the 12,500 on a new crate engine replacement from your Use the 3k from class action suit...this way you’ll have new turbo, water pump, egr etc...
Have to lift the cab to replace this engine usually most effective. I’ve got 188,000 on my 2014 but that’s with one long block replaced @136,000 and just got another full crate engine replacement @186,000.

·
Super Moderator
2,955 Posts
Guy on another forum just said 8,900 less 1,000 back for the core. But add in book hours for basic remove & replace @ $99 an hour shop rate is another $1,500.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Just to add a little more knowledge to this thread , One of our moderators had his Low oil press light come on :eek: But he didn’t have any engine noise and I believe he was leaving on vacation. If I remember correctly he kept driving to a dealership had it checked out and very happily it was just his oil pressure sender failing. I’ve never seen a oil pressure sender go bad on this forum except his .. I believe knowing the history with this engine,That’s an O Sh-t moment. Engines are not going to spin bearings and not have any noise ...

And please correct me , if my post isn’t correct, I believe this was several years ago....
My engine had bearing failure and never made a noise.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Not sure where,you are located, but be aware the dealer will notice your delete as well. Know in some areas the fine can be as much as 2500 for deleting a diesel.
Just an FYI

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
My engine had bearing failure and never made a noise.
Which bearing spun ? As a general rule main bearings don’t knock the crankshaft is supported which holds the crankshaft from banging around, But this also depends End vs middle on which main spun, When a Rod bearing spins you’ll get a KNOCK ...AKA Rod Knock , because of the additional clearance between Rod and crankshaft, that shouldn’t be their...

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
I've seen tractors spin bearings with no indications before hand. Usually happens on high hours and/or an oil pump failure. They do, from time to time, just go out.
High hours and spun bearings lack of proper maintenance, this is the reason why you roll new bearings before they fail ... I’ve personally only seen 2 oil pump failures in 40+ years,

1st a new 1988 Ford mustang 5.0 only about 3 miles from the dealership lost oil pressure on gauge and warning light customer shut the engine down ,dealership installed a new oil pump never another issue ...

2nd Oil pump failure another New vehicle a couple days old this time a 2002 Ford F-350 with a 7.3 again dropped Oil pressure and warning light customer shut it down ,dealership replaced Oil pump again never another issue....

Common denominator’s ...Borh vehicle where Ford’s, Both vehicles where Black , Both customers didn’t want new vehicles because the dealership didn’t have another Black vehicle to replace the ones they purchased...They wanted BLACK !!!!!

Oil pumps failure’s are usually a cold weather related issue,apparently from owners not waiting for engine oil to warm up and thin down before driving away and quickly raising the rpms .... Apparently most oil pump failures are due to cold weather and impatience ....Oil pump failures are not common in my neck of the woods ....

·
Registered
345 Posts
Got the truck back from the dealer. Service tech took it for a shake down run at lunch and said he loved the way it drove.

Guess we'll see how long this engine lasts 177,200 miles on the odometer.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Good luck on this one. Let us know your impressions on the new motor.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts