RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went through the settlement process, had the modification, got the checks, and my stock truck runs pretty well. post settlement. In September took a road trip with my wife up into Utah, Wyoming, and Montana. Traveled about 3,800 miles driving about 200 - 250 miles a day when we drove, staying some places two days and only one in others. Tried to keep it restful and the country was truly beautiful, lots of color. Lots of up an down and time in the mountains. Got around 30+ mpg several times. Truck ran great, no issues with anything. One thing, I used more DEF than I ever have before, actually stopped and added some, having started with a full tank. Something I have never had to do before. Is this just my experience or are others experiencing the samething? Another thing, I have never used Blue DEF, have you and do you think it works well?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'd agree, I seem to be "burning through the DEF" quicker than before. I've never used DEF out of the box, only from the pump. One thing I will say with DEF out of the pump:
GO SLOWLY. Do not just go full throttle or you will get blowback.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just got my new-to-me 2015 ED, that was already AEM, so I have nothing to compare to, but...the manual said to expect to fill the DEF tank every 10,000 miles. I've only gone 1000 miles and I've lost between an 1/8 and a 1/4 tank of DEF, and I will probably only go 5000 miles until empty (estimate).

·
Registered
742 Posts
The blue def is fine, what I mostly buy when it's on sale. While on a trip to the lower 48 last spring, I was surprised the Blue DEF was the same price in Alaska as anywhere else we went. I can buy generic stuff cheaper at Walmart, but I don't like Walmart much for anything. The best deal is at the pump. No garbage, those jugs are really criminal for the waste they produce.

I was surprised to see up here in Wasilla, Alaska, we now have a DEF pump at a local filling station. I say about time as diesels of all kinds are a popular truck up here.

·
Registered
717 Posts
The blue def is fine, what I mostly buy when it's on sale. While on a trip to the lower 48 last spring, I was surprised the Blue DEF was the same price in Alaska as anywhere else we went. I can buy generic stuff cheaper at Walmart, but I don't like Walmart much for anything. The best deal is at the pump. No garbage, those jugs are really criminal for the waste they produce.

I was surprised to see up here in Wasilla, Alaska, we now have a DEF pump at a local filling station. I say about time as diesels of all kinds are a popular truck up here.

Hi: sourdo... I used to use a lot of DEF IMHO. I buy it at my farm fuel dealer in those nasty plasty 2 &1/2 gal. jugs. Since adding a 1/2 bottle of Hot Shots Extreme Diesel treat to a full tank of fuel it's like my DEF gauge is frozen in time!!! Going on a 600 mile round trip. Watching the DEF and coolant level ( added 2 cups of 50/50 so far) closely!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hey DD, I'm down a cup on my coolant, it drops for no obvious reason (I'm thinking it's the EGR cooler, but who knows) every now and then, about a cup's worth. It's still above the seem, but I keep a close eye on the coolant level and check it often. I've been using Diesel Kleen for winter in my truck, so far so good.

Drive safe!

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
my initial experience w the AEM was terrible. However, i think the truck and transmission did some re-learning. Seems to drive ok now. Its anemic for sure, but it runs fine. Not as good as the original stock tune or an aftermarket for sure. Still usable though.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
It is hard to know what is happening to DEF consumption until you go nearly a full tank. With my truck the DEF gauge is horribly inaccurate. The top and bottom are really large and the middle two are very small. I guess the top quarter is a third, the middle two quarters are another third and the bottom quarter is the final third. I haven't driven the 8000 or 10000 miles post AEM to assess DEF consumption accurately since the gauge isn't much good to use to assess small increments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts