RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Looks good! Its nice to see people using these analysis. Everyone can bench race but facts win every time. The thing with these is that they are only a snap shot of whats going on. The more data you get the clearer the picture is., the more points on the graph. Keep testing and see where your metals fall. They might stay the same or they might drop. What is really nice to see is your 0.3% soot, which I believe Blackstone calls insolubles and 0.5% fuel.

The other nice thing to see, other than some TBN left is all the other additives. They all remain quite high, meaning your oil is far from depleted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it would be interesting to see results from others using the same oil as the two of us. Does Boxcab have less metals then mine because of the total mileage, oil, GDE or what?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Conventional oils are run 50k miles plus on class 8 trucks. We have synthetic here and with gde tune oil should have no issues lasting 20k miles plus. I am using 10k for now to keep the warranty intact. Once the warranty is up there is no reason why oil won't last 20k miles with a clean tune.

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Kevin,

You sure spurred on some others to contribute. Now you all can compare. I think yours bears another report sometime in the future so you can compare this one to the next.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Not sure why you're running 12k miles when you're still in warranty or are you out of warranty now?
I have the extended warranty. I just want to see the long term performance of the oil, as well as the insight into engine wear and condition that analysis alone can provide. As Blackstone Labs said, we'll find the "tipping point" and that'll be where the oil should be changed. No sense changing perfectly good oil. It's wasteful and costly. I'll continue to change the filter every year and add make-up oil as needed. This engine is tight, though. I've never put more than 1/2 quart in over 10K miles.

I'm a machinist by trade, and in industry there is a concept called Total Productive Maintenance, or TPM. Basically, instead of taking a piece of equipment out of service for "routine" maintenance based on some arbitrary value (hours of service, mileage, cycles, what ever), you closely monitor conditions and service as needed. This maximizes uptime and therefore availability. In business, a machine that's running is a machine making money. This is an American idea, which we abandoned, like its cousin, Statistical Process Control (SPC), after WW2. Of course, the Japanese pounced on it, made it their own, and we've had to rediscover it. smh

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just a thought. The oil may be good for 12k miles, or even 20k. I'm no expert on these things, but the oil filter is what I would be concerned about. I believe Vern's had collapsed at around 12k-15k miles. So while you may be able to keep the oil for longer periods, I would think you'd want to change your oil filter at 10k miles. Just to be sure it doesn't fail on you. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I think it would be interesting to see results from others using the same oil as the two of us. Does Boxcab have less metals then mine because of the total mileage, oil, GDE or what?
80 & 89,6 = 5w40 Rotella
149,5 & 157,5 = 5w40 Delo
168,5 & 176 = Amsoil 0w40

View attachment 176,000.pdf

I did one around 19,000 with the original Pennzoil 5w30 but it dropped off. Considering Valvoline 5W40 on the next change around 195k.

Also...y'all running more than 10k should consider changing filter around 8-9k...would NOT run a filter much past 10k.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Still going strong with 14,141 miles on Amsoil DEO. Now it's really settling down, and they recommend going another 3-5K miles until the next sample. After that 1,000+ mile road trip earlier this month to shake down the GDE 8HP transmission tune (and where I got 32mpg), the truck has been really running smoothly and quietly.

Doug

14000mile_RAM_Ecodiesel.png

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm a machinist by trade, and in industry there is a concept called Total Productive Maintenance, or TPM. Basically, instead of taking a piece of equipment out of service for "routine" maintenance based on some arbitrary value (hours of service, mileage, cycles, what ever), you closely monitor conditions and service as needed. This maximizes uptime and therefore availability. In business, a machine that's running is a machine making money. This is an American idea, which we abandoned, like its cousin, Statistical Process Control (SPC), after WW2. Of course, the Japanese pounced on it, made it their own, and we've had to rediscover it. smh
The TPM idea is the wave of the future...known currently as Cognitive Analytics, or Predictive Analytics...depending on how the collected data is used. Getting to be common again in the Commercial Vehicle industry...for the exact same idea you mention...keeping those money-making machines up and running in the most intelligent way possible. It's getting to be a very common use of the data that a telematics-equipped vehicle collects and transmits.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts