RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked my boat up out of indoor storage on Wednesday. My plan was to pull it the long way home through town, get fuel at a station that is ethanol free and onto the interstate for about a 25 mile tow. Well I forgot my round 7 pin to 5 pin adapter that I took out of my old truck. The storage place is my buddies so I searched around and the best I could find was a big round to 4 pin. I tested my lights and they all worked but no reverse. You need the reverse wire with surge brakes so you can back up. I didn't want to get caught at the gas station with no reverse so I just headed home.
Trip was about 10 miles, about 5 city and 5 state road. I caught every light and had to stop twice on the state road for cars turning. There is also 1 mile 10% grade that I had to go up.
When I hooked the boat up (about 6500lbs) I was real happy with the air suspension. Handling was good and confident. Braking felt solid (as solid as surge brakes can be).
Now I haven't towed with a half ton in 8yrs so the boat did feel heavy and required way more peddle than my Duramax but I expected this. I'm not trying to compare the two just stating how it felt compared to what I'm use to. The 10% grade starts about 200 yards from a stop. I got up to 45 and the truck held 45 but it took all the pedal. The Duramax would build speed up the same hill. Overall it was a pretty short tow to get any real feel but I was a little surprise how heavy the boat felt but the duramax never new it was there.
I got 10mpg tow/haul mode was used. Oil temp got to 285* that seems high. It was only 70 OAT.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Surprised at a couple things. 10 mpg did surprise me. My Cummins would almost never get below 10 and that's pulling almost twice your load. Of course your distance is limited and an overall mpg for a longer run would me more significant.

That power up a hill also surprised me. Did expect a bit more speed or at least ease of operation at speed without flooring it.

Not surprised at feeling the weight. It is a small 1500 and they sure are not a 2500. Big difference between the two and not noticeable unless you have a lot of time on 3/4 and 1 ton pickups.

Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was surprised with the low MPG too but I never really checked my Duramax in such a short run and it was all stop and go and even the last 5 miles I had to stop twice so I'm chalking it up to the fact that most of the time I was under acceleration from a stop. The hill i as tough long hill with little room to get up to speed. I was at least happy it maintained speed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Yeah. One thing, the hills in Northern Pa. are not really hills compared to those out West of the southern Mountains. I would drive from the Pittsburgh area to Lake Erie up 79 a lot to fish. Those hills are just minor grades. You would have to get something coming out of the Allegheny River valley to find much of a hill.

Where's the downriggers? That doesn't look like much of a fishing boat. The walleye are moving east across the basin. It's "heart pumping" time. The perch are schooled and you have no downriggers and maybe few rod holders. What gives?

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Yeah. One thing, the hills in Northern Pa. are not really hills compared to those out West or the southern Mountains. I would drive from the Pittsburgh area to Lake Erie up 79 a lot to fish. Those hills are just minor grades. You would have to get something coming out of the Allegheny River valley to find much of a hill.

Where's the downriggers? That doesn't look like much of a fishing boat. The walleye are moving east across the basin. It's "heart pumping" time. The perch are schooled and you have no downriggers and maybe few rod holders. What gives?

Those painted steel trailers tend to rust out from the inside. I had one on a boat I used on Erie. Took it to the Chesapeake and got it into salt water. Blew the spare tire.

Had a spare mounted where yours is. Darn frame dropped and so did the tire. It rubbed on the ground and exploded. Knew I blew a tire it was so loud. Stopped and sure enough, blown tire. Only thing weird was it was the spare tire.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No fishing for me just wakesurfing and wakeboarding.
I know what you mean about the hills but I live in the county. Still not like the mountains but lake Erie is sea level and I'm on a plateau, all up hill to my house.

20130716_200759.jpg 20130716_135636.jpg
Why can't I figure out how to rotate pics?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm more interested in how that would compare to the Hemi as I think that's a more valid comparison for most people interested in these trucks

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know but all i can do is make a comparison to what I know.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
A 10% grade isn't anything to sneeze at. Especially if you didn't have any running room. Also... I think you got spoiled with the +600 Lb-ft of a big Diesel.

The oil temp is expected, since the new engine has piston coolers. The oil jets are drawing all the heat out of the crowns.

I also expect the MPG's to be low on that tow, since you had stop and go traffic, and a steep hill.

Anyway... I know I've been saying it for a while... but I had a biz trip canceled, and the weather next week is supposed to be better than it has been. SO... I'm going to try to get my boat out too.

For BKDodge: I will be able to compare it to my 2010. It was the same truck as I have now... but with the 4.7L v-8 and 3.92 gears.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Two friends with Hemi's. Both tow. Both HATE their fuel mileage as it's a joke. Both trucks are 2012's. Both want an Ecodiesel now.

Nailem...You are lucky to be young. I did that stuff with a single ski for a couple decades. It was fun but other than the exercise, there was no MEAT at the end. Looks like the Allegheny River Valley in one picture. Probably some local lake though.

I always fished, even when I played around with the skiing thing. Did make the slalom course multiple times and could barefoot ski a bit. Fun but "where's the beef". I like a good fish sandwich that I made with fish I caught.

·
Registered
231 Posts
When you put the hitch on the truck did the air suspension immediately notice the sag and correct itself? How well does the built in brake controller work? Did you happen to toggle to the trailer screen on the dash and see the numbers listed there? Im just curious if it was accurate. Im not towing my trailer (6600lbs toyhauler) until July, but I want to be prepared.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
The truck immediately corrects the sag once you hook on.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what he said^^, auto corrects as your letting the trailer down on the ball.
I do have the built in brake control but my boat has surge brakes not electric so the brake control does nothing.
the pics were taken on Norris lake TN. when I retire that's where I will be buying a home. We vacation there twice a year. some like the beach, to me I like to walk out the door and be on the lake!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts