RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just thought I would post what my first long distance towing experience was like. Lets just start by saying I have the Laramie with 3.92's, CC and air suspension. There were 3 adults and a toddler (roughly 450lbs) in the cab and about another 100lbs of gear in the truck. I traveled 285 miles this past weekend to pick up my 27' travel trailer (6,000). On the way there (no trailer) I was into a bit of a side wind (it is always windy here) and got 22 MPG going 75MPH most of the way. It is a fairly flat area with the exception of a couple valleys along the way. I wasn't super happy with those results because I've read that other guys on here are getting quite a bit better than that with their trucks. Although, I can't complain too much as this is WAY better that what I was getting in my 07 hemi but I was still hoping for mid to high 20's. I'm sure if I slowed down and didn't fight a wind I would get better.

On the way back, I was horrified to find out that I would once again be fighting a wind but this time is was dead into me at about 25MPH. I had tow/haul mode on the whole way and I was only able to get 12 MPG going 60MPH. I tried to play around with my speed a bit to try and get the rpms in a comfortable spot but the wind/drag would not allow it to downshift for long periods of time. I'm not sure what to think about this. Again, I know I was into a tough wind (just my luck) and it by far did better than my 07 hemi would've done in those conditions but should it be better? Is there something I should be trying in those conditions besides going 45MPH? Maybe I'm just trying to have my cake and eat it too but I was super excited to tow the camper with this truck as we plan on doing a couple larger trips this summer and wanted to save $$$ on fuel. Still will, but not what I expected. Thoughts??

Let me finish by saying that I absolutely love this truck and am super happy that I bought it. Everything else I have done with it has exceeded my expectations.

·
Registered
413 Posts
A lot of wind drag is the problem , for one you are pulling a big square brick behind the truck and then you said a 25 mph wind . you need to stay at 60 to 65 mph and try on a less windy day I think that will help a lot .
I towed a smaller load of 3000 lb plus around 800 ln in truck and averaged 16 mpg @ between the 60 and 65 mph zone , this was with a lower profile boat with less wind drag , hope it gets a litle better for you with less wind , but don't expect high teen's either

Reactions: Izzy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Not too exciting results. Our truck will be very similar (shorter bed, 3.55 rear) so results shouldn't be much better with same trailer and conditions. Maybe needs more break-in time? Maybe combination of unfavorable conditions? On the other hand, what would you consider buying instead? Probably nothing else out there. Your results are not what I would hope for but still will be very satisfied with our purchase. I, for one, appreciates the report.

·
Registered
730 Posts
That's probably the worst mileage I've seen on the ecodiesel, but remember you had the equivalent of almost 7k in weight pulling a parachute at 85MPH.

It's all perspective.

·
Registered
827 Posts
You got 12mpg going the equivalent of 85mph pulling a full size trailer. Drag is proportional to the square of velocity and you got 12mpg. Square of velocity. So the difference between 60mph and 85mph is huge. Dude, 12mpg was outstanding.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I cant report on a real tow until July but my wife and I just return from a 850 mile round trip. Just her and I and about 100lbs of hiking and luggage gear in the bed. the trip one way was 425 miles with about 50 miles of twisty hilly state road. other than that it was 72mph cruise set the whole time. I got 29.5mpg. on the way home cruse set at 73 with more head wind I got 27.7. your non towing mpg seems low.
Great trip, tow mountains hikes, 10 miles, 3000ft elevations in one day.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, ya I agree! I definitely didn't want to be THAT guy who posted negative stuff about the truck. I guess I probably had high hopes which would've had a shot in ideal conditions but I just have to remind myself that my last truck would've gotten 7MPG in those same conditions.

You got 12mpg going the equivalent of 85mph pulling a full size trailer. Drag is proportional to the square of velocity and you got 12mpg. Square of velocity. So the difference between 60mph and 85mph is huge. Dude, 12mpg was outstanding.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
if it helps any, your truck is damn nice... everytime i see a picture of a slightly different trim/color combo i think "damn i should have done that!".

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks! I think the same thing when I see others as well. Just speaks to how nice these trucks really are. I was torn between white and black. I had red and grey in my previous rams.

if it helps any, your truck is damn nice... everytime i see a picture of a slightly different trim/color combo i think "damn i should have done that!".

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Yesterday I had to return from a 4th trip dealing with my ARE cap. This time they replaced the side window.

On return I ran about 20 miles directly into a headwind. Looking at that instant fuel mileage computer showed about 28 mpg heading north, then the 20 mile stretch turned East into a headwind. It dropped down to the lower 20's into that wind. Couple times there were trees blocking the wind or a minor change in road direction. You could see that mpg bar climb right up each time.

Wind can be hell. Towing into the wind with a solid-front trailer can be double hell.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya it was for sure. I've come to terms with the fact that if I want to tow around a Travel trailer then my mileage will take a hit (and into a wind a big hit). I just wasn't sure if that was lower than I should expect or not. I live in a very windy part of the country but hopefully it will be to my advantage more often than not in the future.

·
Premium Member
13,980 Posts
Just figured it out.

if the wind is blowing right at you, turn around and go the other way.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am curious to see what kind of MPG I get when I tow my travel trailer this fall. We have been towing our 22' Winnebago Minnie that weighs 3800 lbs dry, so probably about 4500 loaded with our V8 Volvo XC90. Towing I get about 11mpg, not towing I can get 22 on a highway only trip. Normal average is about 17-18 on each fill up. I will admit to driving slower when I tow the trailer, so I set the cruise at 1 or 2 over the speed limit, and will maintain that speed almost all the time. The biggest problem is that big red brick we are towing catches the wind. Our hitch setup had load leveling and sway control, and the volvo has all kinds of electronic stuff to balance it out, but sometimes we just get blown around too much. My wife actually felt a little sea sick we we had to drive home through 50mph wind warnings. My hope is that the Ram with the more stable wheelbase and ecodiesel engine, it should be smoother sailing. My goal is to get 20 mpg towing, but that might be harder than I thought. Time will tell..... Truck should be here in August and our first big trip is in September.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I am curious to see what kind of MPG I get when I tow my travel trailer this fall. We have been towing our 22' Winnebago Minnie that weighs 3800 lbs dry, so probably about 4500 loaded with our V8 Volvo XC90. Towing I get about 11mpg, not towing I can get 22 on a highway only trip. Normal average is about 17-18 on each fill up. I will admit to driving slower when I tow the trailer, so I set the cruise at 1 or 2 over the speed limit, and will maintain that speed almost all the time. The biggest problem is that big red brick we are towing catches the wind. Our hitch setup had load leveling and sway control, and the volvo has all kinds of electronic stuff to balance it out, but sometimes we just get blown around too much. My wife actually felt a little sea sick we we had to drive home through 50mph wind warnings. My hope is that the Ram with the more stable wheelbase and ecodiesel engine, it should be smoother sailing. My goal is to get 20 mpg towing, but that might be harder than I thought. Time will tell..... Truck should be here in August and our first big trip is in September.
20mpg isn't realistic. You could hack off the top 4' off the trailer and you still wouldn't get 20mpg at a couple mph over the speedlimit.

Re. sway. I have 2 big tow threads here. In one of them there is a description of moving the hitch ball 2" deeper into the receiver by drilling another hole in the hitch shank. This reduced the distance between ball and rear axle by ~10% which means the trailer has less of a lever arm to move the trailer L/R and up/down (sag and porpoising).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I agree with the previous post. No way you're going to get 20. If you get 16 count your lucky stars. I get 15-16 with a 4000# bass boat at 70mph.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have made 3 trips with my 29' camper dry weight of 6700, so add approx. 1000lb for camping junk. I averaged around 14 US mpg. over 700 miles combined. My last truck was a 2012 hemi with 6 speed which would have been around 10 US mpg. Both of these trucks are the quad cab with 3.55 rear end, same tires and rims. only difference other than motor/transmission is the addition of air lift 1000 air bags on the new ecodiesel.
The diesel I found to be better until 55-60 mph, after that the hemi was better ( as far as power goes) but I rarely go over 60 towing here in Nova Scotia so I am very happy with the ecodiesel.
The only negative I had with the new truck was the sway, it seemed worse than the old truck. I think it was because of the air lift 1000 changing the height and weight distribution. I have since lowered my hitch so the top of the ball with trailer hitched, is that magic height of 19" was 21.5" before adjustment, and loosened the chain on the weight distribution bars by one link. I also changed the angle of the ball on the hitch. It now tows very comfortable and the mileage on my last trip was closer to 15 mpg.
The 2 guys that I camp with have comparable trailers, one guy has a 2014 6.7 F-350 (non-dually) and the other guy has a 2012 Duramax, they had the same sway issues as I did at first (till we got that resolved). Their mileage was worse than mine. The only big difference was that time before you got up to the sway inducing speed. those trucks tow like there is nothing behind them until they get to 100 km/h.
I drive almost 80000km a year and towing my camper only makes up of approximately 2000-3000km.
Towing was my biggest hesitation before buying this truck, and I am happy to say it is every bit as good as my previous Hemi, and get way better mileage doing it. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have made 3 trips with my 29' camper dry weight of 6700, so add approx. 1000lb for camping junk. I averaged around 14 US mpg. over 700 miles combined. My last truck was a 2012 hemi with 6 speed which would have been around 10 US mpg. Both of these trucks are the quad cab with 3.55 rear end, same tires and rims. only difference other than motor/transmission is the addition of air lift 1000 air bags on the new ecodiesel.
The diesel I found to be better until 55-60 mph, after that the hemi was better ( as far as power goes) but I rarely go over 60 towing here in Nova Scotia so I am very happy with the ecodiesel.
The only negative I had with the new truck was the sway, it seemed worse than the old truck. I think it was because of the air lift 1000 changing the height and weight distribution. I have since lowered my hitch so the top of the ball with trailer hitched, is that magic height of 19" was 21.5" before adjustment, and loosened the chain on the weight distribution bars by one link. I also changed the angle of the ball on the hitch. It now tows very comfortable and the mileage on my last trip was closer to 15 mpg.
The 2 guys that I camp with have comparable trailers, one guy has a 2014 6.7 F-350 (non-dually) and the other guy has a 2012 Duramax, they had the same sway issues as I did at first (till we got that resolved). Their mileage was worse than mine. The only big difference was that time before you got up to the sway inducing speed. those trucks tow like there is nothing behind them until they get to 100 km/h.
I drive almost 80000km a year and towing my camper only makes up of approximately 2000-3000km.
Towing was my biggest hesitation before buying this truck, and I am happy to say it is every bit as good as my previous Hemi, and gets way better mileage doing it. :)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts