RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Distilled water in summer months hoping it will dissolve any built up DEF crystallization in the injector and back to DEF in winter months. I don't worry about freezing issue. DEF freezes at -12C any ways so the tank has that designed into it for winter service.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There sure do seem to be a lot of "tricks" to learn when using this tune.Someone should compile a list of "to do's" while using it. Thanks

·
Registered
12,783 Posts
Good question to ask GDE. As a distilled water user that near never has exposed my truck to any time below freezing, there have been no issues. When I hunt in Georgia during the winter it has gotten just below freezing for a couple hours a few mornings. That's nothing but I could not do a northern visit under any circumstances where it might be freeing for long periods of time.

Using some kind of anti-freeze into the water would be something good to know. Washer fluid at about 0 degrees F. is just a teeny bit more than the distilled water I have been using. Sure would be nice to know that might be an option.

·
Administrator
8,366 Posts
There is no danger if liquid freezes in the DEF tank as long as the tank's not completely topped-off. DEF will freeze and doesn't hurt the tank.
The issue with windshield washer fluid would arise if one decided to go back to using DEF.
Personally I see no reason to use anything but DEF unless you are deleted or have a 2017 MY with GDE tune.
DEF will reduce NOx ouput and it is very inexpensive.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I just got the hot tune and love it. Only the one drive to clear the regent code so far though. I leave for a long road trip and pretty excited to feel the turbo brake when I descend the first big grade!

What’s the info/tricks I should know about this hitting the brakes and it downshifts that has been posted in several areas? Related to the tune only or just the trucks regular programming? I have never been able to get the stick tune to do this.

Also, what is that test you can do to make sure that tune is still there when you get it out of the dealership? The one about cruise control at/or below a certain speed?

Thanks folks

·
Vendor
1,132 Posts
There is no danger if liquid freezes in the DEF tank as long as the tank's not completely topped-off. DEF will freeze and doesn't hurt the tank.
The issue with windshield washer fluid would arise if one decided to go back to using DEF.
Personally I see no reason to use anything but DEF unless you are deleted or have a 2017 MY with GDE tune.
DEF will reduce NOx ouput and it is very inexpensive.
The 2017 and 2018 GDE tunes now have DEF active same as the 2014-2016. It just took us some time to go through the software changes to have the DEF system working again. We prefer to have it functioning anyway. DEF freezes at 10 F and the DEF heater turns on slightly above that. If you want to mix fluids to equal the freeze point of DEF then it should not be an issue, but we certainly have never tested that. Even a full DEF tank has a good portion of dead volume to allow for freeze expansion, so that should not be an issue.

·
Administrator
8,366 Posts
The 2017 and 2018 GDE tunes now have DEF active same as the 2014-2016. It just took us some time to go through the software changes to have the DEF system working again. We prefer to have it functioning anyway. DEF freezes at 10 F and the DEF heater turns on slightly above that. If you want to mix fluids to equal the freeze point of DEF then it should not be an issue, but we certainly have never tested that. Even a full DEF tank has a good portion of dead volume to allow for freeze expansion, so that should not be an issue.
Thanks for the update.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for the update.
I'm wondering if it's worth it for those of us who have the software with DEF turned off, to have it reflashed with the new changes? I don't mind using some DEF, and it would help resolve the issue of putting window washer fluid in the tank or just draining and leaving it empty. I suppose GDE would only charge $50 to update the flash. Are there any updates to the tune besides turning the DEF system back on? FYI: I received my flash in early February,

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
The 2017 and 2018 GDE tunes now have DEF active same as the 2014-2016. .
NICE . that was a head scratcher for sure ,
there was no way to win , water in tank ( going nowhere) turning to a swamp like green goo ....
or DEF in tank ( going nowhere ) , turning to crystalised state .
very nice that you guys figured out a way to resolve this .
it will be nice not to give bad advice about this , will add links to this #30 post in many threads to come ,
so, as of early June 2018 , the tune for the 17 and 18 now use DEF with the hot-tune .

·
Registered
22 Posts
It is only $50 to update the tune if you want it back active.
I have a 17 Eco Diesel with the tune that does not use DEF. So If it is reactivated does it actually do anything? IE does the truck put out better emissions because the DEF is being used? If you have the DEF use reactivated does the truck go into limp if it runs out? I have 2 concerns with the 17 & 18 tunes where it is deactivated. 1 the emissions are actually worse (yes I care about that) 2 the system gets all gummed up with old DEF & the option to start using it is removed.
GDE, can you speak on this a bit?

·
Registered
322 Posts
It is only $50 to update the tune if you want it back active.
Will you guys stand by your statement that the def systems will still work for those who have the tune that disables the DEF completely - when they go back to stock?

Curious why did you guys change the tune or what was the reason to enable the DEF system?

Do you think the def system will have issues if it is not being ran at all?

What are the pros/cons of this?

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Curious why did you guys change the tune or what was the reason to enable the DEF system?
Answered in post #30:

GDE said:
It just took us some time to go through the software changes to have the DEF system working again.

·
Vendor
1,132 Posts
Send GDE and email if you want the DEF update on the 2017 or 2018. The goal was always to have it working like 2014-2016, just took some time to figure the new FCA software.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here are some comments about my Hot Tune install and driving impressions:

Friday I installed the GDE Hot Tune ECM in my new 17 Ram EcoDiesel with 958 miles on it, I ordered the ECM with the optional exhaust/engine brake and the regeneration message.
I followed the instructions to the letter and everything went smooth. My DEF gauge went back to full where it was before, no CEL and it took about 20 miles of Interstate driving for the initial regeneration. I have since put about 400 miles on my truck and my observations up to this point are as follows.

Engine sound: a bit more of a diesel sound from the outside at lower RPM, probably because the altered injection timing.

Throttle response and power: definitely an improvement during initial take off and the truck pulls stronger when accelerating. I had to pass a military convoy and that was the first time I really put my foot into it...….all I can say is WOW.

Cruise control: less frequent downshifting, the truck holds high gears a bit longer on inclines and just drops about 2 MPH but returns to the initial setting quickly once the transmission downshifts or the road levels out.

Shifting: still the same, smooth and silky shifts.

Exhaust brake:
works great when using cruise and coasting downhill, you can definitely tell when it kicks in (feel and sound) although not as strong as the one I had on a 2500 CTD.

Initial start and warm up: same as before.

Exhaust: no smoke, no oily haze or residue on my rear bumper, tail pipes are dry and clean on the inside. That is exactly what I was looking for, I do not like the diesels which are making a bunch of black smoke.

Mileage: little early to tell but over the last 400 miles the EVIC showed about a 5 MPG improvement. Miles driven and miles remaining add up to about 780. I will know more after a couple tanks. When I filled her back up yesterday I had a hand calculated 28 MPG mixed driving. Keep in mind that I already had 300 miles on my tank with the stock tune and there was a 20 mile regen.

Overall I am more then happy with the results and it made a great truck even better. I like the fact that my engine will stay cleaner on the inside (EGR disabled), gets better MPGs, has better drivability and still runs clean. I also like the fact that the newer tunes will keep the DEF injection/SCR functional. Also, GDE has great customer service and they answer emails quickly before and after the sale.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts