RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have a Ram Ecodiesel with the optional "DISCO DASH" option where the lights flash?

Ok.. no seriously, does anybody here know Morse code? Is my truck sending me a message?

Ok... super serious this time - I got home from a 3 hour trip last night, and had this happen when I pulled into the garage. The dash went nuts as you can see, but only when the lights were dimmed and the truck was at idle. If I reved it up... no problems. If i brightened the dash lights, no problems. I have not been able to replicate the problem after I restarted the truck.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Can be the dimmer? I only saw that on old vehicles with a resistor that adjust the dash lights by sliding a lever over a spring to change the light intensity. I'd still try adjusting the dimmer when it does it again, at least you'll know it's not that...

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can be the dimmer? I only saw that on old vehicles with a resistor that adjust the dash lights by sliding a lever over a spring to change the light intensity. I'd still try adjusting the dimmer when it does it again, at least you'll know it's not that...
I restarted the truck after the video... and it didnt do it again. Talk about odd!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Either a loose wire on the cluster harness or a bad cluster, if they have to replace the cluster be prepared to have a loaner for a few weeks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Remember it's all run by microprocessor's. Perhaps a power down is all that's required. Remember the "blue screen of death".

In my business, there are so many systems in modern aircraft that simply require a circuit breaker reset to power the system down and start it up again that there's actually a reset guide to accomplish this to make it behave. If it works for Boeing I'm sure FCA should get this too.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remember it's all run by microprocessor's. Perhaps a power down is all that's required. Remember the "blue screen of death".

In my business, there are so many systems in modern aircraft that simply require a circuit breaker reset to power the system down and start it up again that there's actually a reset guide to accomplish this to make it behave. If it works for Boeing I'm sure FCA should get this too.
I already hate flying... lol. Not sure how I feel about an airplane doing CTRL+ALT+DEL haha

Kidding.... I think?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not to worry. Only do that on the ground. No indiscriminate circuit breaker pulling in the air

My Morse is a little rusty, but I think it says. TSR6 phone home. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
My truck did that the other morning exactly as you describe. Lights on low turn them up slightly it goes away. Only difference I had was I was driving at highway speed. Next time in the truck at night and everything is fine. Wtf?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts

I remember seeing a win nt screen booting up on a plane while I was boarding, a while ago when I used to travel a lot... Didn't make me feel safe at all...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just had the same thing happen and it went away after the next restart. Reading the service manual it is quite a complex circuit including voltage sense from the headlights the dimmer knob and communication across the bus to other systems. By chance do you have HIDs installed?

·
Super Moderator
2,522 Posts
I just had the same thing happen and it went away after the next restart. Reading the service manual it is quite a complex circuit including voltage sense from the headlights the dimmer knob and communication across the bus to other systems. By chance do you have HIDs installed?

Not sure about the others but my truck electrical wise is 100% stock.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I already hate flying... lol. Not sure how I feel about an airplane doing CTRL+ALT+DEL haha

Kidding.... I think?
No kidding, sometimes while driving code 3 in our fire engines, one side of the engine would work and the other would be dark or there would be no lights or the dash or computer/radio console would be blank, we had to pull over and reboot the engine, the whole thing is fly by wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
331 Posts
Do any of you have the GDE tune, apparently these trucks have some sort of low power mode that GDE disables, perhaps that is why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts