RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got what I think is a new one here ,
last year my coolant was a little down , maybe 1/2 inch under the full line , so I purchased
Mopar 50/50 OAT coolant and added a little , fearing the start of a bad EGR cooler , I added
my "mayo jar Mod " on the end of the degas bottle 's overflow tube ,mentioned in here :

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/diy-how-section/56513-degas-bottle-lower-tube-extension.html

So far so Good . no mystery .
------------------------------------------------------------------

Fast forward to this spring in May 2019 , when I opened the hood and the level was too high ,
all the way UP , Degas bottle full , almost no room for air , so I removed some coolant
to bring it back to full line .

Now today in September 2019 my bottle was full again , no room for air ,
I got some out , when you suck it out it only goes down in one of the 8
sections of the bottle until it reaches a certain level , then the portion next to it
goes down also , I did that until all sections were at the full line .

I figured with no room in bottle it was possible that some got spit out and into
my mayo jar Mod , so i looked under the truck and I got 1 inch of coolant in the Jar .

where is this extra coolant coming from ??

I am familiar with stories of coolant going down ,
or oil cooler pushing oil in the coolant bottle , but I have never read about
any one else with coolant going UP . ????????????????????

I have only one theory , the mayo jar creating condensation , and the degas
bottle sucking up the condensation all the way up to the bottle , raising level
....??? anyone ????
After a few hours the extra coolant pulled out does not separate in the glass jar , looks uniform .

Next move is to modify my Mayo Jar Mod so that the tube does not touch the bottom of te
jar so it can suck Air UP and not liquid in it

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
How does the coolant smell like? I know the trans is cooled via coolant. You might want to check your trans oil level to see if its down. Best way to check for any contamination is pull a coolant sample.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
That coolant looks off color to me. It looks cloudy. I would assume you have some form of contamination. I don't know what I would suspect though, the factory trans fluid is probably a dark color now and the oil is dark.

Are you under warranty? I would have the EGR cooler tested.

·
Administrator
8,474 Posts
I think it's unlikely the overflow tube is sucking any condensation. Try keeping the fluid level at the lowest cold fill level and see if it overfills again.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Reminds me of a guy at work that bought a Vespa to save on fuel. We secretly added enough every couple of days to keep the tank near full. Boy did he brag about the fuel mileage....

·
Super Moderator
4,048 Posts
@Kazimodo maybe your sleep walking and adding coolant??
Hopefully no one else was trying to be helpful and thought they were filling your windshield wiper fluid, but the fluid that came out looks sorta normal.
IDK..I got nuth'n

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does the coolant smell like? I know the trans is cooled via coolant. You might want to check your trans oil level to see if its down. Best way to check for any contamination is pull a coolant sample.
we have no transmission dipstick to check , and oil in coolant has a distinct ugly look .
I'm still seing clear orange , even after buying Mopar OAT 50/50 coolant that was supposed to be purple , but came out of the jug orange .
could explain why coolant part number in Canada is different from USA part number .
more testing to come...

@ Crash68 , No on the sleep walking , my CPAP machine would be found on the floor :eek:

Tube cut shorter today ,
tomorrow I'll replace Mayo Jar , could have a hole 1 inch from bottom , just noticed coolant on drive-way .

Thanks to all for your opinions .

·
Registered
522 Posts
we have no transmission dipstick to check , and oil in coolant has a distinct ugly look .
I'm still seing clear orange , even after buying Mopar OAT 50/50 coolant that was supposed to be purple , but came out of the jug orange .
could explain why coolant part number in Canada is different from USA part number .
more testing to come...
Dont be fooled by clear orange. Tranny oil actually mixes with coolant pretty well. Seen it many times on bigger class 8 stuff. Pull a sample and you will have a clear picture. No guesswork.

Tranny oil can be checked by pulling a fill plug at a certain temperature. Dont exactly remember the correct procedure. Its on this website somewhere.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks r3gill , stock ECM time I guess ,
and dealer visit , 4 year old truck well under warranty millage .
anyone know where to get coolant analysed ??

the tranny oil level check mentioned in video here :

·
Registered
522 Posts
thanks r3gill , stock ECM time I guess ,
and dealer visit , 4 year old truck well under warranty millage .
anyone know where to get coolant analysed ??

the tranny oil level check mentioned in video here :
We use CAT dealer for sampling in the west. Not sure about guys in the east. Might be worth calling local CAT dealer in your area.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Reminds me of a guy at work that bought a Vespa to save on fuel. We secretly added enough every couple of days to keep the tank near full. Boy did he brag about the fuel mileage....
Hah! Funny, my dad did this back in the day when a coworker bought a spankin new 1960 VW bug. They added a gallon of gas every couple days for a month and like your friend, he boasted about the spectacular fuel efficiency, and then they removed a gallon for a month. The guy was livid and on the phone with the dealership bitching and moaning about how the mpg's dropped so suddenly. Had it in for repair multiple times.

Sorry to stray OP. Could there be a blown head gasket that is leaking exhaust into the system and forming air pockets that push the coolant out the overflow? Grasping here I know....

·
Registered
12,978 Posts
Kaz...Not qualified to advise you on anything as my mechanical ability is second to all. Never had a coolant issue for my 114,000 miles. Only thing is the color sure has changed. At times it is clean and orange. Amazing that the times I ad that purple stuff, rarely by the way, it immediately turns orange. I swear there are sometimes darker streaks in that bottle. Then look again and it's again clear.

Slight color change from time to time does not seem to be unusual.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

Sorry to stray OP. Could there be a blown head gasket that is leaking exhaust into the system and forming air pockets that push the coolant out the overflow? Grasping here I know....
That's another theory , Thanks ,
truck does not give any hints of bad behavior ,
one of the few different ways the EGR cooler fails , is known to push exhaust pressure in cooling system above 21 PSi bottle cap , and send coolant down the overflow tube
but that kind of failure usually gets the level in the bottle to go down , not UP .
purchased Sept.11 2015 , 4 years old today .

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have any "friends" that might be messing with you?
No , lol , truck is a drive way queen ,
I'm retired , so the truck is never left unwatched for any period of time .
30,000km ( 20,000 miles ) that's not a lot of miles for a failure .....
I will not be the first .....

·
Administrator
8,474 Posts
I'm leaning towards a leaking EGR cooler pressurizing the coolant. I wonder if since the EGR is shut off (GDE), there's not coolant leaking into the intake???

I think trans fluid would be more obvious if it was mixed with the coolant.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Day 2

took out the jar from day 1 and looked at it in the light ,
and also in direct sunlight , wow big difference in color ,
in indirect light ==> nice clear Pink clear as can be , move it 1 foot left into direct
sunlight and it turns orange , looks like a cloud in it too ,
huge difference in color.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SO, with coolant level on full cold line , I went for a ride ,
I figured just long enough to bring temperatures to the normal operating level.

after just 10 minutes and temperatures NOT high yet , I got curious ,
that scientific experiment did thiat to me :rolleyes:, too curious to wait ,
I opened the hood already UP 1/2 inch .... was thinking maybe it's normal ,
the line says :full COLD , maybe it goes up when warm ,,,,

after another 15 minutes , I stop and look , higher still , ...
turn around head back home , when I get home it had risen definitely higher again ,
Next I did a few things ,including a messy mistakes..
drive truck up on ramps , ( inclined drive-way , wanted level truck )for
proper level in degas botle , took pictures ,
then went under Truck and I removed my Mayo jar Mod ( mistake , too soon ),,,,

we all know by now that the cap on the degas bottle is pulled down
by succion when cold , very hard to remove , up on stepladder I turned the cap
slowly to remove it , well it turned freely , 2 fingers , yesterday when cold
I needed " FULL " hand strenght ,
but soon as it got loose , maybe 2 turns , the cap let coolant
out the tube that starts under the degas bottle and I heard it gush under
the truck out of my extension tube to reach " removed "Mayo Jar Mod , crap,,,

I fixed a tube from extension tube to a bucket to continue removing
degas bottle cap , gushed a little more , but into the bucket ...
reinstalled a new clean Mayo Jar , zip tied it , with tube not going all
the way down to the bottom of the Jar , to test my theory that yesterday
the exttension tube was resting " IN " coolant in Mayo jar , and there was no
way to introduce air in the system ,

sucked out more coolant from degas bottle to take it down to the
cold full line , (even if it was warm ,I know ) , will check tomorrow if it
went down overnight while getting cold.

sorry for the ones who hate long posts...

to be continued ....

Attachments

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
A coworker had leaking injector cups on a 7.3 power stroke that filled his cooling system with diesel. Anyone know if it’s possible for something similar on the ecodiesel?

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Question is , why do others with failing EGR cooler find their bottles way low ,
and if it is my EGR cooler failing , why is mine going up instead of down ,
does it go up first like mine , then with no room to rise anymore , just gush out the overflow tube ,
and later the same pressure would push more additional air in degas bottle and air pressure replacing the coolant until some day
owner opens the hood and sees coolant way down in bottle ???????

That's all I got on EGR cooler failure to explain this " GOING UP " patern .

1 - 20 of 68 Posts