RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,763 Posts
After some thinking about what would cause this and hiding the bottle of Mopar coolant I've been using to overfill the degas bottle....lol

I wonder if the pressure cap is leaking air. It's possible that the air escapes but it will not suck in air when the engine cools off. I've seen o-ring seals do this before.
just another thought to throw into the ring

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
After some thinking about what would cause this and hiding the bottle of Mopar coolant I've been using to overfill the degas bottle....lol

I wonder if the pressure cap is leaking air. It's possible that the air escapes but it will not suck in air when the engine cools off. I've seen o-ring seals do this before.
So it was you all along ........I have to admit you accept to drive pretty far just to play a joke on me LOL ,,,,:p
after reading this I went out side , truck not completely cold , removed cap , came off easily , 2 orings are not cracked , still have a little silicon grease
I put on last year . the coolant level did not move when removing cap , I would have loved to see it get sucked in by rad and engine but no .

=======================

got a fast reply from GDE , here is what they said :

""Took a quick look to the ram1500 post. I would buy a kit to test for the presence of exhaust gas in the coolant, it would seem that the cooling system is getting externally pressurized.

If the test confirms exhaust gas present, then it’s likely either a cracked EGR cooler or leaking head gasket.

Also, have you done any other mechanical changes that would have touched the cooling system?

I would remove the small rubber hose that goes from the water pump up to the degas bottle, and with the engine running make sure that there is coolant always flowing thru that hose. If not, then the water pump is not primed and moving coolant or the water pump is failed.

Let us know if there’s any other detail which might be interesting to hear about.

Thanks

GDE ""
================================================================================

now off to find a test kit for presence of exhaust in coolant ...

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Question is , why do others with failing EGR cooler find their bottles way low ,
and if it is my EGR cooler failing , why is mine going up instead of down ,
does it go up first like mine , then with no room to rise anymore , just gush out the overflow tube ,
and later the same pressure would push more additional air in degas bottle and air pressure replacing the coolant until some day
owner opens the hood and sees coolant way down in bottle ???????

all I got on EGR cooler failure to explain this UP patern .
I think if the EGR valve (exhaust) is closed with GDE, you won't be losing coolant through the intake like others have. The EGR (COOLER) could be cracked and pressurizing the coolant.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
How much total coolant have you removed and have you ever added any?

If it is just EGR over pressuring the system eventually it is going to go dry/low.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
How much total coolant have you removed and have you ever added any?

If it is just EGR over pressuring the system eventually it is going to go dry/low.

that would explain why others find degas bottle low , and I found mine high , first stage in development of the leak maybe .

Total loss so far would be a jar of the glass jar in the picture , no telling
if I lost any over the Mayo jar , but there is no hole in the plastic jar , so my guess 1 pint
no overheating so far .

my degas bottle is yellowish , wonder if all degas bottle turn tarnished like that after 4 years and 20,000 miles
or if it was the heat from exhaust that turned it yellow .

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
Oh my. This is another saga you don't need.

Thanks for all the follow-up and knowing you, there will be more. With such low mileage you would think some kind of warranty might fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just took my 2016 in for the disappearing coolant. I was driving back from UT to Las Vegas and I started getting high temp warning. So I went to my closest Auto Part store bought a bottle of coolant, put the whole gallon in the reservoir, to the fill line. This was last Tuesday.

Yesterday, I was driving home from work I got another high temperature warning. Again I went to my local Auto Parts shop and checked the coolant level, The reservoir was dry. WTH. I bought another gallon, and put all of it in, to the fill line.

When I looked the capacity up, the engine takes 2.8 gallons. Where did the previous 2 gallons go?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Lsharris , probably down your exhaust , or you burned it in combustion chamber , unless you were lucky enough to get the kind
of EGR cooler failure that pushes pressure in excess of 21 PSi in degas bottle , then the cap on the coolant bottle ( degas bottle ) lifts , and coolant
goes out from the tube under the coolant bottle , and down the tube that looks like wire loom , but that is actually a tube , it
goes down along the side of the rad on passenger side , and ends at mid height of Rad , if it leaked all from there you would have
coolant smell at the front of the truck and in engine bay ,
if it all went down your exhaust , the DOC DPF combo located inside the DPF canister will be a mess and you will regen very often .
keep adding coolant until you fix the cause , overheating is bad for the water pump and head gaskets ,
as mentioned in vern's warning thread : https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/ram-1500-diesel-maintenance/49297-ram-ed-cooling-systems.html

image in small mirror of tube under the degas bottle.

P.S. thanks for the capacity number ( 2.8 gallons ) I was wondering what it was .

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
This sparked a little memory. I used to work on propane generators up on mountains at radio sites and had this happen. Every time I went up to work on this particular genset, the overflow tank was.....well.....overflowing, the radiator was empty and the motor had shut down due to an over-temp alarm. It ended up being that the engine would get hot, push coolant into the overflow like it should, then as it cooled down, because the radiator cap wasn't air tight, it would suck air and release the vacuum, and the radiator wasn't able to draw the coolant back in. After a few cycles of this the radiator was too low and the engine would throw an alarm. New radiator cap and it was fixed.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Interesting Johnny Mac ,
I could do a bottle cap replacement attempt while waiting for my EGR delete goodies to be delivered ,
but with the history of bad EGR coolers on Ecodiesel , the % of probability is on EGR , gotta fall off sometime anyways.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Not sure about this " air coming back in theory " , the cap has been known to be hard to turn OFF when cold ,from succion created while cooling down ,
I wonder if the cap even lets air back in , then there would be no succion to pull down cap ,
sure would explain why it keeps all coolant at the top .....
maybe you got something there , combined with Johnny Mac's story , it's time to see the parts guy at the dealer
for an experiment with new degas bottle cap . not too expensive or complicated of a test .

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Day 3

as suggested by GDE (( reply from them in post# 22 ))

I tested with little tube that comes from the water pump to the degas bottle ,
tube is 3/8 ID , added a piece of clear tube and started the truck , right away coolant was flowing thru the tube from water pump to degas bottle
soon as engine is turned off the coolant goes back down in that tube ,
ALL THAT WITH COLD ENGINE
so I guess the water pump is primed , anomaly not coming from there .

went to dealer with back up car , luxurious Yaris 2007 , wrong hour , everybody out from noon to one ....

to be continued ...

Attachments

·
Registered
684 Posts
I love all the problem solving going on in this thread. I especially like that Kazimodo is choosing to be positive and proactive instead of complaining and pointing figures. Once the problem has been identified and resolved, then we all get to walk away from this thread with a great deal of knowledge.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Been watching this thread. Although I don't ave any theories on this I DO doubt the EGR cooler theory.......
I hope it ends up being much simpler.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Been watching this thread. Although I don't ave any theories on this I DO doubt the EGR cooler theory.......
I hope it ends up being much simpler.
Steve , the theory for now would be at first stage of this kind of EGR failure , the EGR pressurises the cooling system ,
spits coolant out the oveflow tube , I have no symptom , truck runs flawless , why would anyone notice anything at this first stage ,,,,

(( where my theory is doubtfull is the fact for the smell of coolant on the ground and inside engine bay that would have to be noticed )),,,

I did not get smell and mess because of my Mayo Jar Mod ..

after running the little GDE test with tube from water pump , it would mean the next step is for the engine and rad to get low , as Vern described
in his warning thread , then the pressure still present in the system , but now no more coolant pushed to degas bottle by water pump , just pressure ,
and that would empty the degas bottle on the second stage of the failure , many have noticed the low level before , in "" the many disappearing coolant threads "",
next is hearing the fan come on as some have heard , describing as a jet engine was under the hood , and overheating .

this is all just theory for now ,
.......I got my new degas bottle CAP from the dealer installed , will go for a ride next , to see if coolant goes UP again ,
and report back .
-----------------------
If it turns out to be the EGR cooler , I'll think of you Steve , and the beating can start, ready for a 6 hour fight with that part....

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I love all the problem solving going on in this thread. I especially like that Kazimodo is choosing to be positive and proactive instead of complaining and pointing figures. Once the problem has been identified and resolved, then we all get to walk away from this thread with a great deal of knowledge.
good attitude but still I would prefer not to have this stuff happen ,
in addition my backup car is a piece of junk , I saw a cute older woman in shoping center parking lot ,
she gave me a smile , but when I opened the door to my 2007 Yaris , you would think I was a Leper , no more smile , LOL .....

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
hi hi hi hi hi hi hi
I can't stop giggling ,
Crash68 you were right
Johnny Mac you were right ...
Ecosparky you were right to doubt my bogus theory
....and i admit i was wrong
went for a ride on day 3 , with new degas bottle cap installed , stopped every 10 minutes ,
and every time the level was exactly where it was when I started , didn't go UP ,didn't go down ,
very glad about this .....

I was kinda expecting the level to go down once warm because I removed some twice , but it didn't ,
tomorrow when the coolant has cooled I'll look again , maybe the action takes places when cooling ,

and of course on day 4 , I'm going to put the stock cap back on and go for a little ride , not to far , to see if the
level goes UP again , and prove without a doubt that a B/O cap will do this .

this cooling system is more complicated than I figured , that degas bottle is more than just an Overflow tank .

Thank You to everyone , who posted advice , opinions and jokes , made me feel I was not alone in
dealing with this strange situation .

to be continued .....

21 - 40 of 66 Posts