Registered
117 Posts
hi hi hi hi hi hi hi
I can't stop giggling ,
Crash68 you were right
Johnny Mac you were right ...
Ecosparky you were right to doubt my bogus theory
....and i admit i was wrong
went for a ride on day 3 , with new degas bottle cap installed , stopped every 10 minutes ,
and every time the level was exactly where it was when I started , didn't go UP ,didn't go down ,
very glad about this .....

I was kinda expecting the level to go down once warm because I removed some twice , but it didn't ,
tomorrow when the coolant has cooled I'll look again , maybe the action takes places when cooling ,

and of course on day 4 , I'm going to put the stock cap back on and go for a little ride , not to far , to see if the
level goes UP again , and prove without a doubt that a B/O cap will do this .

this cooling system is more complicated than I figured , that degas bottle is more than just an Overflow tank .

Thank You to everyone , who posted advice , opinions and jokes , made me feel I was not alone in
dealing with this strange situation .

to be continued .....
Ah, good to hear. Fingers crossed! If it all works out, where should Crash and I send the bill to? :)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Official , around 5 minutes running with old cap and level rising ,
level did not go down overnight , will monitor to add the coolant that came out when it goes down .
time to pack the truck and go to Michigan , find Crash68 's truck , and put the cap on his truck (( reference to post # 21 )).:p

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
While on the subject of the degas bottle ,
does anyone know if we have spots where we can "bleed air "out of our cooling systems ??
I replaced my degas bottle cap after the original one was making my degas bottle overflow ,
the level will not go back down in degas bottle after I have removed 1 litre during the cap failure ,
I was expecting to see the level drop after the trouble was fixed , but no , it stays at the
full cold mark ,,,,
how do I remove air pockets in the cooling system ,
do they go away by themselves over time ??

in this video , some europeen guy bleeds his cooling system from 2
bleeders on his diesel engine ,
do we have such bleeders on our trucks ??

never mind the french speaking in video , actions speak more than words .

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
While on the subject of the degas bottle ,
does anyone know if we have spots where we can "bleed air "out of our cooling systems ??
I replaced my degas bottle cap after the original one was making my degas bottle overflow ,
the level will not go back down in degas bottle after I have removed 1 litre during the cap failure ,
I was expecting to see the level drop after the trouble was fixed , but no , it stays at the
full cold mark ,,,,
how do I remove air pockets in the cooling system ,
do they go away by themselves over time ??

in this video , some europeen guy bleeds his cooling system from 2
bleeders on his diesel engine ,
do we have such bleeders on our trucks ??

never mind the french speaking in video , actions speak more than words .

The best way to fill a cooling system is to vacuum fill it then it well have no air in the system. Its also required by some oems for warranty.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
today I purchased this exact model in this video , $60 CDN , not too bad .
tomorrow I pull out the air pocket . ( not going to suck all the way into red zone as in video , stop at -25 I believe )

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
So I need to do this ??
Yes that is the best way to fill and insure all the air is out. Should note it doesn't work the best to identify leaks it tends to seal them up, but it well show if you have a big leak. Also sometimes you need to pinch or seal off the overflow tube to make it work well.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes that is the best way to fill and insure all the air is out. Should note it doesn't work the best to identify leaks it tends to seal them up, but it well show if you have a big leak. Also sometimes you need to pinch or seal off the overflow tube to make it work well.
Thanks Brokendownbutgood , that advice about pinching the overflow tube was never mentioned anywhere before , you're expertise
will save me from troubles for sure , I will pinch my tube extension , it is clear tubing , almost new , so not too brittle .:)

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
873 Posts
If there was that much suction, your radiator hoses would be collapsed in some degree as they are flexible. When mine is hot, it is full, full, full to the top of the bottle. When cold it's on the line. Try squeezing the hoses while watching the coolant level.

I don't have any problem removing my cap when cold.

Maybe try a new cap?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #56 (Edited)
:eek: Sourdo , you missed a few posts , I do have a new cap ON ,
with original cap the bottle was excessively full , when cold , as in no room for more coolant , so I pumped out coolant to bring it to "cold full " line ,
went for a ride and again it went way up in bottle ,,,,,removed more coolant to bring it down to cold full line again , let it cool
next day after putting the brand new cap ON ,
no more rising of the coolant , but I have removed over a litre , it should go back in the truck , but the level stays at
cold full line , cold or hot = no fifference , that is why I'm going to suck out the air today , I expect the degas bottle to go down , then I might just top it to the
cold full line by pouring in the coolant I removed , OR maybe I'll let the new toy feed it to the truck ....:)

the squeeze was done on day one , been doing this squeeze thing since the 70's , usually we see
bubbles and level go down a bit , but not on this truck.

topside creeper showed up this morning , ordered 11th , got it 17th , nice ....

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Not having much success ......disappointed

installed my vacuum tool ,
I did not drain the system , I removed around a half gallon from degas bottle ,
now when applying the compressor it just raises the level in the degas bottle
and it does not seem to go and suck out the air pocket from the engine or where-ever it is hiding
all it does is raise level in degas bottle , no burping ,
it holds the negative pressure on the dial for as long as I want , but I'm not getting the air out
of the cooling system .
does anyone know if I will have to drain the whole system before using the vacuum tool ??
or am i not applying enough negative pressure , I went to -30cmHg in the middle of the green range ..
not funny when things don't work out ...:(

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,153 Posts
installed my vacuum tool ,
I did not drain the system , I removed around a half gallon from degas bottle ,
now when applying the compressor it just raises the level in the degas bottle
and it does not seem to go and suck out the air pocket from the engine or where-ever it is hiding
all it does is raise level in degas bottle , no burping ,
it holds the negative pressure on the dial for as long as I want , but I'm not getting the air out
of the cooling system .
does anyone know if I will have to drain the whole system before using the vacuum tool ??
or am i not applying enough negative pressure , I went to -30cmHg in the middle of the green range
Unfortunately it takes a while to move any liquid still left in the system, nor is the vacuum deep enough. That tool is primarily intended for filling a system that's pretty much completely empty.
To make sure the engine block is void of air you'll probably have to drain as much coolant out as possible then suck it all back in with the tool.

When the systems are filled on the assembly line, they use something in the capacity of a 15 hp vacuum pump. The cycle time from start to the system is filled with coolant is 90 seconds.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts