RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Thanks Crash68 , tomorrow I'll drain the whole thing ,
I may be sceptical but , for some reason I don't think just one vacuum cycle will do the job , will take many cycles of
vacuum , switch to other valve to fill and vacuum some more to get everything back in , or maybe not ,
in one of my attempts I stuck feeder tube in coolant and for 1 pint added the succion on the gauge went down
so for 2 gallons ,,,,, only went to fill degas bottle again , that was of no use ...
I don't know , I was afraid to get gauge in red zone , but according to your interesting assembly line procedure , 15 HP pump vacuum pump
my little gadget could not break anything in the system ....maybe .

could also be that I was not negative vacuuming anything else but the degas bottle and top of Rad ,
when the whole system is mostly empty it might take longer to create the vacuum effect ,
in a bigger volume , and then the sucking will be longer ,
not much confidence at this point . too tired
all those experiments planned for tomorrow , when I'm "peppier ".

I'll tell you one thing , it is a lot less complicated to fill me up with beer , than this cooling system .

·
Registered
383 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but what brand/model of topside creeper did you get?
Traxion 3-100-FFP Foldable Topside Creeper

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00QGXSODA/ref=pe_3034960_236394800_FR_TE_dp_i1

$25 more than the non-ffp model but couple inches wider .
assembled it today , seems very decent , but the cushion on top is going to need some upgrade , not firm enough .
Hey Mike that creeper looks great but dont make it too comfortable or you may need to have your CPAP machine close by if you need to stop for a nap.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Hey Mike that creeper looks great but dont make it too comfortable or you may need to have your CPAP machine close by if you need to stop for a nap.
You know how things work , now that I have the creeper , and stage 2 EGR delete kit ready ,
the EGR will last a hundred years before failing ,, i have a couple of friends looking to use the creeper
so it is not a useless purchase.

Steve , On this subject , when you installed your EGR delete kit , did you have to mess with this vacuum coolant fill procedure ??
or did you just fill it back up after removing whatever necessary to plug coolant hoses on EGR ...

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
Thanks Crash68 , tomorrow I'll drain the whole thing ,
I may be sceptical but , for some reason I don't think just one vacuum cycle will do the job , will take many cycles of
vacuum , switch to other valve to fill and vacuum some more to get everything back in , or maybe not
If you pull the system down in a good vacuum once you should be all set to suck everything back in. Unless there is an air leak somewhere, one and done. If you do suspect air in the system, get the engine good and warm along with cycling the heat in the cab. Leave the pressure cap loose and probably pull the power off the cooling fan.

·
Registered
383 Posts
You know how things work , now that I have the creeper , and stage 2 EGR delete kit ready ,
the EGR will last a hundred years before failing ,, i have a couple of friends looking to use the creeper
so it is not a useless purchase.

Steve , On this subject , when you installed your EGR delete kit , did you have to mess with this vacuum coolant fill procedure ??
or did you just fill it back up after removing whatever necessary to plug coolant hoses on EGR ...
Mike I had no issue filling with coolant. I filled it to the seam, statted it up and drove it to perform the ECM set up procedure prescribed by GDE then pulled over and stopped and stopped it up back to the seam and have not touched it since.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Thanks guys ,
the coolant is IN :)
Drained from the tap on rad , really trickles down slowly , I hooked a clear tube to the valve after lowering the apron under the rad for better access .
turns easily but there is a tab on the "bolt-like knob" so I messed around finding right tool , 17 mm but the tab is on one of the 6 sides ,
when trying to put key on the bolt you have to avoid the side with the tab , the tab is there to tell you when the valve is closed , tab ends up at bottom .

turned valve to the point the thing came off , no mess , I guess it was all out by then .
Pinched the overflow tube at my Mayo Jar Mod , as advised earlier so that no air could be sucked UP from there .
applied negative pressure with tool , this time I saw air bubbles coming up to the degas bottle thru the
little coolant left in it , maybe 4-5 minutes of sucking air with the tool , it spits out a mist of air and coolant , so better put the exit tube in a bucket .
close valve on sucking side , hooked feeding tube and it sucked the coolant back in , I had +/- a gallon in the bucket .
--
I did have to cycle back and forth , from feeding , to applying more vacuum 2 -3 times , when applying vacuum on the additional steps , I waited until I saw
coolant come up my extra clear tube added on the water pump tube going to degas bottle , only when the coolant reached that tube did I see a good rise
on the gauge into the -30 to -40 cmHg ,
-- when coolant was up to the full cold line I stopped , I had coolant left over , Hmmmmm, ?
but that turned out to be OK , when all the tubing and vacuum tool was removed , the coolant dropped more than 1 1/2 inch , and I added the coolant
to the degas bottle , when the level rose in the degas bottle , it also came up on the extra clear tube from water pump .
I removed that extra clear tube and connected as it was originally with the rubber tube . :)
remove pincher on overflow tube , next is test ride .

Attachments

61 - 66 of 66 Posts