RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

OK... for years, the RAM trucks have had a spot to put a cabin air filter in the AC/Heater system. BUT... from the factory, the hole for the filter was blocked. SO... we would get a filter door and filter from the Avenger, (or any of the Dodge cars) cut the air box open... and put in the parts.

I thought it was dumb that these trucks didn't have a filter, and with $20 worth of factory parts, you could add it yourself.

Anyway... on another forum... guys have noticed that in the diesel supplement owner's manual... it makes mention of changing the "Cabin air filter".

SO... HERE'S THE FAVOR I NEED...

Please, open your lower glove box all the way. (push the side stop, and let it open so you can get to the stuff behind it) And simply look at the air box, and see if it has a snap on door, or if it's blank.

I was going to pre order the parts for my new truck, before it arrives... but I'd like to know if RAM FINALLY decided to just put the parts in from the factory.

Here's a couple pics from my 2010, after the mod. But it will help for you to tell if there is a door or not.

Thanks guys.

BLANK

With a Door.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
You mean I have to take the dash apart and remove the glove box? What is a "side stop"?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No... the dash doesn't come apart.

If you open the lower glove box.... it will only open so far, before a plastic "Hook" will stop it. The hook is on the side of the glove box, and it just hits the back side of the dashboard. If, you pull that hook in a little... then the glove box door will continue to open, and the door can be lifted off the hinge. You should be able to pull the stops back by hand, so no tools are required. At that point... you should be able to clearly see the air box.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I purchased this door and filter element from the dealer a few weeks. If and when my dealer (not their fault) ever gets my truck in I will install this myself. Was given four delivery dates and not a one has come true. Last one was 3/29/14, truck did not arrive.

I can't believe that this cabin air filter was not part of the original assembly line build.

I also purchased the door and bin for the upper glove box and the kit that heats up the windshield washer fluid (kind of kool).

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
OK.

Gonna be a while. Must go out on motorcycle right now. Friends long waiting for us. Pam looked this morning and we did not get the door past the normal opening but she did it, not me. I had to drive and been stupid busy since.

It will be later this afternoon.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is a pic.
Hummmmm....

I think that's what I'm looking for, in the upper right corner of your pic. From the part I can see... it looks like there IS NOT a filter installed.

Friggin' +$40k, and they still can't put a filter in the AC... but they put it in the $15k cars.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Penndiana...

Was your EcoDiesel a "Pre-Production"... or was it ordered after? (did you order it or was it dealer stock?)

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It was dealer stock.
OK.... that could make a difference. I know the other 1500's still don't have the filter, and it doesn't mention it in the regular owners manual. (just in the diesel supplement) SO... there could be a difference in the "Pre-Spec" Vs the "official release" trucks.

Hummmmmmmm.....

Now I have a second curiosity question for you.... What color is your anti-freeze?? You can see it in the bottle mounted above the radiator/fan shroud. Purple or red???

·
Registered
13,683 Posts

That's what I saw that looked like what you wanted.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Capt.... Thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to see. I know your truck was a special order, and there isn't a filter in it either.

Well... I guess the guys who wrote the book, forgot to tell the guys on the assembly line to put it in. (lol)

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just for an FYI on this thread.... if you use a box cutter... you can open that spot, and put in a cabin air filter using OEM parts. Here's what to do.....

1) Use a box cutter, and score around the inside of the lip, in a rectangle.

2) Crack it out. (if you try to cut all the way though, it takes more effort)

3) Slide in the filter

4) snap the door on.

That's it.

If you have hay-fever, or have bad sinuses like I do... the filter is a god send.

Reactions: Top and fitzdawg

·
Registered
735 Posts
Wow, amazing what you can learn in these forums. I wonder if it has to do with trim levels? I could see the Tradesman model not having them to keep down maintenance costs; however I would expect the luxury Laramie model to have a cabin air filter.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow, amazing what you can learn in these forums. I wonder if it has to do with trim levels? I could see the Tradesman model not having them to keep down maintenance costs; however I would expect the luxury Laramie model to have a cabin air filter.
Don't know... but actually, it would be the other way around. A tradesman would be more likely to be in a dusty, dirty place. Not only is that bad to breath... but it also clogs the AC core.

What's the cost on doing that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This year, Ram released a kit... and I think it's under $25. But using the part numbers in the first pic.... the door is $12, and a filter can be bought from your local auto parts store for around $5. I've been using the "Allergen" filters, and they are about $10.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Don't know... but actually, it would be the other way around. A tradesman would be more likely to be in a dusty, dirty place. Not only is that bad to breath... but it also clogs the AC core.
True there....odd they designed it for a filter and didn't put it in, but sell the filter access door so you can do it yourself. I'd probably add one to keep the dust and dirt down.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great write up. Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts