RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Do you think the truck is getting harmed while I drive it in this condition?

If I go into the dealer for other issues, do I need to hide that that has been done?

Effect on warranty?

I am wondering about keeping one board for the dealer and this GDE one to use all the time... she said, flirting with the law....
Yes, that would be the best way to handle it.
I would get the factory updated one working properly first,
put the dealers toes to the fire, if the truck is that undrivable just look at the paperwork that came with the update ;
NO appreciable difference in performance or mileage,
it sounds like you have a major change therefor it's an appreciable difference.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Yes, that would be the best way to handle it.
I would get the factory updated one working properly first,
put the dealers toes to the fire, if the truck is that undrivable just look at the paperwork that came with the update ;
NO appreciable difference in performance or mileage,
it sounds like you have a major change therefor it's an appreciable difference.
At the risk of being charged with believing my truck is a sentient being, I have this fear that everything I do is being recorded on some master computer somewhere in the truck. "She drove to Oregon to get it fixed, then she took out the ECM, then she swapped boards.

The mechanic in CA gives me a knowing glance and says, I need to speak to you...."

I am about as honest as they come and if they ask me flat out what I have done, I will have a hard time pretending other than the truth. My brother, well, that's another story... great poker player.

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
If I go into the dealer for other issues, do I need to hide that that has been done?
==> Best scenario , you keep the stock module with FCA AEM tune in it , for visits to the dealer .

Effect on warranty?
none ,unless you start bragging , and happen to have one of the few dealers who try to void your warranty ,
anyways , some owners were lied to , by dealers in order to not cover work with warantee ,even when no real reasons ,
the warranty is not crook-proof .

I am wondering about keeping one board for the dealer and this GDE one to use all the time... she said, flirting with the law...
best scenario right there , stock ECM for dealer visits , GDE tuned to use truck all the time .
I would first get the dealer to apply the tune properly , you just might enjoy the truck again
and maybe you would not get the GDE tune , ,,,, one step at a time
in your first post you describe a lot of weird stuff that should not happen , AEM not applied properly .:(

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
I am about as honest as they come and if they ask me flat out what I have done, I will have a hard time pretending other than the truth. My brother, well, that's another story... great poker player.
please take this as a joke from me , maybe I watch too much TV , but , in first post you say you are a lawyer ,
then here you say "you are honest as they come " .....contradiction ,,, you don't lie to the dealer ,,, you practice your acting skills .

·
Registered
559 Posts
Just glancing through this post it screams scam.
I didn't want to say it, but that was my first thought too. A lawyer who has been buying new vehicles and keeping them for decades, who is poor but has two other vehicles stored in a garage somewhere and even though is a lawyer is working multiple jobs ...

Anyway ... it's what it is.

cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
please take this as a joke from me , maybe I watch too much TV , but , in first post you say you are a lawyer ,
then here you say "you are honest as they come " .....contradiction ,,, you don't lie to the dealer ,,, you practice your acting skills .
I'm a bit out of the mold. I am also a nurse and that was my first career for 20 years. Law school was aimed at improving health care. Nurse is at the top of most respected list. Lawyer at the bottom. Take your pick.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I didn't want to say it, but that was my first thought too. A lawyer who has been buying new vehicles and keeping them for decades, who is poor but has two other vehicles stored in a garage somewhere and even though is a lawyer is working multiple jobs ...

Anyway ... it's what it is.

cheers
Not a scam. I am broke because I was a nurse for decades and went to law school in my 40's. Still coping with law school loans. My attorney career got sunk by an abusive husband who was too threatened by my law career and the 2008 downturn. I'm happy to post a picture of my old cars. I received the VW at age 17 as a Christmas present from my parents, both dead now. So it is sentimental. I bought the Mini brand new after surviving law school and finally getting a decent job after 25 years of being paid less than 30K per year as a nurse. So the Mini has a certain symbolism as well. I bought the truck as an old age strategy after finally being able to own a home in the country after trying to make that happen for 35 years.

Getting out of an abusive marriage at age 66, no one is too anxious to hire you as a lawyer. I am working back in health care at multiple jobs as a nurse. Laugh if you want. It is the truth.

You are ignorant if you don't know what hard-working women do to survive when they would like a nice life like the rest of you. Please give me credit for resilience and hard work, not doubt and mockery. I find when I post on forums that have a lot of male energy, I often get attacked, so apologies to the kind folks who have helped me.

And yes, I am honest to a fault. I don't like the GDE option and I will stay with the dealer as long as they will try to help me. But I am not going to let them destroy my truck.

You know, it is so sad this battle of the sexes and it causes so much unnecessary grief. You should try driving with me in the truck sometime. Just by being a female driving a nice truck and having my "I brake for squirrels" bumper sticker, these macho guys in their big trucks zoom past me, give me the finger and then cut me off. All I did was dare to drive a truck on the same highway as them.

How can we bridge the gap so men understand that women like trucks, they may be more sentimental, they may envision survival strategies differently, but they don't deserve full on attack for no other reason than existing, being their goofy selves, and doing their best in a world that is not a level playing field.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think if reaching classic status with this truck is your goal, then you most certainly should eliminate the EGR. Take solace in the fact a properly tuned truck will use less fuel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think if reaching classic status with this truck is your goal, then you most certainly should eliminate the EGR. Take solace in the fact a properly tuned truck will use less fuel?

Yes, I have this constant question in my head wondering how the emissions can be better when it is using 25-30% more fuel than before to go the same distance. I need to learn about the EGR. Was trying to avoid a full dive into emission mechanics but it seems necessary now.

Is it naive to assume that great gas mileage is a good "green" strategy overall in terms of total emissions per mile?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yes, I have this constant question in my head wondering how the emissions can be better when it is using 25-30% more fuel than before to go the same distance. I need to learn about the EGR. Was trying to avoid a full dive into emission mechanics but it seems necessary now.

Is it naive to assume that great gas mileage is a good "green" strategy overall in terms of total emissions per mile?

Thanks for your help.
A better comparison would be total emission per gallon of fuel used. It has been stated the modified tune will emit less NOx per mile, but at what cost? More fuel used and reduced service life?

I’m sorry I cannot quote specific sources, just trying to give you food for thought.

Personally, I am not partaking in the factory retune. I do not want the headache. My truck runs great as is.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Sorry to hear about your truck's lack of performance after the AEM. There are so many positive posts following the AEM flash I would suspect you got a bad flash (if that's possible). I'm more concerned about the GDE tune advice you have received.

GDE is no doubt a great tune but unavailable in Califunny. GDE tunes to your Vin number. As I understand the GDE process they always check the Vin number registration info and State. So all the advice about doing out of state would not work. I could be misinformed but I have not heard of any Califunny registered vehicle successfully getting the GDE tune via any devious method.

I am GDE tuned and called them yesterday just to ask a question. Their immediate response, after seeing on their screen that I was a 619 number, was "We do not support California vehicles", They did answer my question, the point is they are very aware and suspicious of "fake" requests. They want to be reinstated by California and are not about to jeopardize their integrity.

All that said,GDE is not the only tuner. SFT can sell into Califunny and their tune is installed via the OBDII port, you don't have to remove your ECU. And, they are in Las Vegas, close enough to you to have them do it for you. Because I am concerned about no help from GDE I am in the process of changing to SFT including their transmission tune. This site is very partial to GDE and demeaning of SFT so be prepared for negative feedback.

Good luck to you, hoping it all works out in your favor.

EDIT:
SFT is also less expensive than GDE plus they currently have a 20% off Father's Day sale

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Sorry to hear about your truck's lack of performance after the AEM. There are so many positive posts following the AEM flash I would suspect you got a bad flash (if that's possible). I'm more concerned about the GDE tune advice you have received.

GDE is no doubt a great tune but unavailable in Califunny. GDE tunes to your Vin number. As I understand the GDE process they always check the Vin number registration info and State. So all the advice about doing out of state would not work. I could be misinformed but I have not heard of any Califunny registered vehicle successfully getting the GDE tune via any devious method.

I am GDE tuned and called them yesterday just to ask a question. Their immediate response, after seeing on their screen that I was a 619 number, was "We do not support California vehicles", They did answer my question, the point is they are very aware and suspicious of "fake" requests. They want to be reinstated by California and are not about to jeopardize their integrity.

All that said,GDE is not the only tuner. SFT can sell into Califunny and their tune is installed via the OBDII port, you don't have to remove your ECU. And, they are in Las Vegas, close enough to you to have them do it for you. Because I am concerned about no help from GDE I am in the process of changing to SFT including their transmission tune. This site is very partial to GDE and demeaning of SFT so be prepared for negative feedback.

EDIT:
SFT is also less expensive than GDE plus they currently have a 20% off Father's Day sale
Huge thanks. I appreciate input from another California person.

I need to take a breath and simply read and learn. The truck is now on "disability," sitting still, and I am driving the Mini. I do like the Mini, I'm just afraid of getting mushed because semi-trucks never see it and run me off the road when they change lanes.... I drove it every day for 11 years. That is another set of stories...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Mini's are not the only thing truckers runoff the road. Twice within 10 km's I had the same semi take over the centre lane I was in and I was right beside him. If he did a shoulder check out his side window he would have seen me. If he checked his mirrors he would have seen me. I was in my Avenger pulling a boat I had just purchased. Total length of car and boat on the trailer would be around 40'. If I had a 44 magnum that night there would have been 1 less trucker. I was fortunate the fast lane was open both times. People on motorcycles have to have their head on a swivel as well and not only for truckers. Good luck with you truck and repairs.

·
Registered
65 Posts

EDIT:
Unless it has changed, and it could have, less than a year ago some on this site posted that they asked GDE if they checked VIN #’s for Registration in California and the answer was No. They only go by the Mailing and Billing Addresses. Post # 12 in the below:

https://www.ram1500diesel.com/forum/green-diesel-engineering/59070-quick-question.html

Lovelybrook, the issue with us having a tune in California is that we have to undergo Biennial Emission Testing, as you already know. Now, it is unlikely that a Smog Tester will be able to identify the tune as long as you don’t make any physical changes like deleting the EGR. But will the vehicle pass the test base on discharge level? I have not seen any confirmation of this.

Now, as others have suggested, you could obtain a second Engine Control Module ( or “Board” as you call it) with the tune installed and you could swap your ECM back to the factory one for each test, but it seems from what you wrote that this may be a little bit of a challenge for you. In addition, there are a number of systems that the tune makes dormant. These would have to again work properly after two years of dormancy.

Maybe this is for another post, but of those of you GDE tuned men and women that had to reinstall your factor tune or had your GDE tune flashed over by the AEM, were there any issues or CEL’s in relations to the EGR, DEF or other systems that have been dormant for so long and suddenly being required to operate properly? Moderator’s feel free to place this where it belongs.

If it were me in your situation, I would fight to get the truck correct with the Dealer, a second Dealer or FCA if necessary. What you are describing is rather extreme and something is definitely wrong. Plus, you have their Performance Statement and the new Extended Warranty on your side.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Post #12 said, "I messaged GDE today with this question. They said the billing and shipping address is used to determine the sale, they don't have access to registration."

If he is correct it could be possible for the Califunny folks to fraudulently get the GDE tunes. It would be nice to know if anyone has tried it and can confirm that it works. GDE monitors this forum, they may be putting steps in place to prevent any fraud which jeopardizes their position with the Califunny EPA.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Thanks for your help.
Hi Lovelybrooke. Id like to suggest something called PedalCommander. I have one, and after the update, my truck was a not nearly as drivable as I would have liked. I had a pedal commander that I reinstalled, and it made the truck drive the way it used to. It does not violate emissions, and it simply installs at the gas pedal. Easily removed, completely undetectable, and shouldn't affect any warranty.

I do have a question. What year is your truck, and had it been in for any other recalls over the years? I ask as I have heard that there was a flash a few years back that brought the MPG more inline with reality. If you had the truck with the old flash, you might have been seeing 27MPG or higher averages, but after the flash, they were dropping into the high/mid 20's as the average. IF this is the case, you might want to drive a bit and see if your tank lasts the same amount of time as usual, just with a different readout. This is just a guess...but try the Pedal commander. Its pretty great. You can find them on ebay around $200.

Here is one listed for $220, but has Best offer option. I had offered $185 for mine and got it..might be worth a shot:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bluetooth-Pedal-Commander-Throttle-Controller-for-2007-2018-Dodge-Ram-Pc-31-Bt/143251965789?epid=13030456517&hash=item215a7b875d:g:SjAAAOSwD5tc2wXg

·
Registered
559 Posts
Not a scam. I am broke because I was a nurse for decades and went to law school in my 40's. Still coping with law school loans. My attorney career got sunk by an abusive husband who was too threatened by my law career and the 2008 downturn. I'm happy to post a picture of my old cars. I received the VW at age 17 as a Christmas present from my parents, both dead now. So it is sentimental. I bought the Mini brand new after surviving law school and finally getting a decent job after 25 years of being paid less than 30K per year as a nurse. So the Mini has a certain symbolism as well. I bought the truck as an old age strategy after finally being able to own a home in the country after trying to make that happen for 35 years.

Getting out of an abusive marriage at age 66, no one is too anxious to hire you as a lawyer. I am working back in health care at multiple jobs as a nurse. Laugh if you want. It is the truth.

You are ignorant if you don't know what hard-working women do to survive when they would like a nice life like the rest of you. Please give me credit for resilience and hard work, not doubt and mockery. I find when I post on forums that have a lot of male energy, I often get attacked, so apologies to the kind folks who have helped me.

And yes, I am honest to a fault. I don't like the GDE option and I will stay with the dealer as long as they will try to help me. But I am not going to let them destroy my truck.

You know, it is so sad this battle of the sexes and it causes so much unnecessary grief. You should try driving with me in the truck sometime. Just by being a female driving a nice truck and having my "I brake for squirrels" bumper sticker, these macho guys in their big trucks zoom past me, give me the finger and then cut me off. All I did was dare to drive a truck on the same highway as them.

How can we bridge the gap so men understand that women like trucks, they may be more sentimental, they may envision survival strategies differently, but they don't deserve full on attack for no other reason than existing, being their goofy selves, and doing their best in a world that is not a level playing field.
Whooaaaa !! Thin skin or what? I said nothing, absolutely nothing about male or female in my post. Maybe if you're having such a tough time, quit being a victim, sell two of your three (or more) vehicles and get on with life. As far as not knowing what you've been thru' ...... you really have no idea about what any of us have been thru' that we don't whine about.

cheers

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Post #12 said, "I messaged GDE today with this question. They said the billing and shipping address is used to determine the sale, they don't have access to registration."

If he is correct it could be possible for the Califunny folks to fraudulently get the GDE tunes. It would be nice to know if anyone has tried it and can confirm that it works. GDE monitors this forum, they may be putting steps in place to prevent any fraud which jeopardizes their position with the Califunny EPA.
LOL , Eliott Ness does not work at GDE ,
I read the same , " billing and shipping address is used to determine the sale" .

21 - 40 of 98 Posts