RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
$80 bucks is kind of pricey for a reader, don't you think? I have this that I use on my modified Spider, and works great.
If I thought it was "kind of pricey" then I wouldn't have posted it.
All the apps I mentioned the developers recommend using this reader. If you decided to leave it plugged 24/7 if using an App like Torque/Fusion for monitoring EGTs, it doesn't interfere with leg room and it will put itself to sleep with the vehicle. It also is capable of reading the other high speed comm busses used by auto manufacturers, so it's capabilities for being used are greatly expanded.
OBDLink does make a $50 Bluetooth only one that isn't capable of reading the extra communication busses and is only for Android
If someone wants to buy a cheap $20 reader, then they better not complain if won't do what the recommended product can.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Are there any folks out there who are interested in the legal side of this? When we buy a car/truck and sign a sales agreement, does the fine print say that the dealer/government has the right to modify the character of the thing we purchased whenever they so choose or we won't be able to register the vehicle and drive it?

I'm trying to figure out why there isn't more of an uproar over this. Most seem to be annoyed but shrugging their shoulders and looking at new trucks, paying for aftermarket, risking warranties, etc. If you bought a house and suddenly the builder/government said we are going to come in and remodel your kitchen otherwise you have to move out, would we all just sell the house and move on? Seems you buy something according to how it is represented and the codes at the time. If a house is not built up to code, and it becomes an issue, you have a case against the builder, but no one has the right to mess up your house.

It seems so blatantly outrageous. But, maybe I haven't learned to just roll over...
Today of all day is one we should thank heavens for the few, the 3 to 10% that didn't just roll over or take the easy path. In history it is the few that fight the fights and make the sacrifice for the good of us all that we celebrate.....Happy Fourth of July.

·
Administrator
8,212 Posts
Are there any folks out there who are interested in the legal side of this? When we buy a car/truck and sign a sales agreement, does the fine print say that the dealer/government has the right to modify the character of the thing we purchased whenever they so choose or we won't be able to register the vehicle and drive it?

I'm trying to figure out why there isn't more of an uproar over this. Most seem to be annoyed but shrugging their shoulders and looking at new trucks, paying for aftermarket, risking warranties, etc. If you bought a house and suddenly the builder/government said we are going to come in and remodel your kitchen otherwise you have to move out, would we all just sell the house and move on? Seems you buy something according to how it is represented and the codes at the time. If a house is not built up to code, and it becomes an issue, you have a case against the builder, but no one has the right to mess up your house.

It seems so blatantly outrageous. But, maybe I haven't learned to just roll over...
I assume you are referring to the AEM? If so, it's an optional update except for the poor souls who live in Kalifornia. Blame CARB

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
“Learned to roll over”. That’s a backhanded dig eh?

Truth is, it is far more efficient in most cases to accept the settlement and seek aftermarket fixes rather then chase court decisions through years of litigation.

I know you’re a lawyer, so you want the legal battle. But if I choose to deal with it another way, have I really rolled over or have I simply chosen a much easier solution?

Choice is yours. If you do pursue it in the courts, best of luck. Maybe you will make it rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Rolling over wasn't meant as a dig or insult." I tend to battle windmills as in Don Quixote and it hasn't worked out well most of the time. Actually, I don't want the fight or I wouldn't have joined the class settlement. I think pragmatism is smart. I said that in another post.

Tired of fighting. Most of my fights have been in health care to make it more accessible and give people more control and choices. I was a very boring patent attorney who sat at a desk for hours, worked on piles of papers and never saw a courtroom. The only fight I saw was as part of a large litigation team contributing big piles of words in corporate battles about who invented something first.

I can see how you thought I was being snarky. Sorry. I didn't mean that tone.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Why did you take your truck home if the dealer had not fixed it yet and they were going to give you a loaner vehicle? I would have let my truck sit there until it was fixed.
Mine was in the shop for two months not long after I bought it. They gave me a loaner truck, so I did not care how long it took. Kept putting the miles on their loaner.

As a side note... Being the father of three daughters, I can assure you that most guys don't understand the issues women face on a daily basis. Number one is their (women) safety. I for the most part get it. Also, my middle daughter is currently interning at the DOJ Environmental division in DC. She will be entering her third and final year this fall. She got a 100% scholarship.
I took the truck home because it was in perfect shape before the AEM and I didn't trust them to start diagnosing other problems when I believed the AEM was the problem. They were using another AEM problem truck as their model of how to fix AEM problems and were starting to replace his exhaust components, etc. I felt I needed to get my truck out of there before the dominoes started falling. They didn't come through on a loaner. Promised one week. Ignored the next. And I decided what to do to fix it myself. It is now fixed and perfect. Given my situation, I don't want to say much more publicly than that. Not into a big fight.

Hooray for your family and daughters. I work with all genders and root for everyone to get a good foothold and a good life. Many of my students are men going into a traditionally women's field so I enjoy mentoring them and watching all the gender stereotypes drop away. They are some of the strongest students and bring great energy. We are all struggling with the same issues. Earn a living. Have a life. Feel loved. Survive modern insanity, i.e., AEM updates.

Take care.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Today of all day is one we should thank heavens for the few, the 3 to 10% that didn't just roll over or take the easy path. In history it is the few that fight the fights and make the sacrifice for the good of us all that we celebrate.....Happy Fourth of July.
Well, I certainly admit that freedom from an oppressive monarchy was a bit more of an issue than mpg and power going up a hill. There are so many heroes past and present who have given us what we have today. Those people who fought for freedom with their lives deserve all the credit. Happy 4th!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
If I thought it was "kind of pricey" then I wouldn't have posted it.
All the apps I mentioned the developers recommend using this reader. If you decided to leave it plugged 24/7 if using an App like Torque/Fusion for monitoring EGTs, it doesn't interfere with leg room and it will put itself to sleep with the vehicle. It also is capable of reading the other high speed comm busses used by auto manufacturers, so it's capabilities for being used are greatly expanded.
OBDLink does make a $50 Bluetooth only one that isn't capable of reading the extra communication busses and is only for Android
If someone wants to buy a cheap $20 reader, then they better not complain if won't do what the recommended product can.
What do you think of this one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=psdc_15707381_t1_B07JFRFJG6

Seems that many choose it with very positive reviews?

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
What do you think of this one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00652G4TS/ref=psdc_15707381_t1_B07JFRFJG6

Seems that many choose it with very positive reviews?
I'm sure it's a fine product too, you probably can't go wrong with either. The OBDLink MX+ has less reviews since it's a recent upgrade to the original MX and there was also the LX and MX WiFi versions.
The OBDLink readers are usually recommended by software/app developers. It's also cost less, you noticed I didn't say it was cheaper as the company builds quality products.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
I'm sure it's a fine product too, you probably can't go wrong with either. The OBDLink MX+ has less reviews since it's a recent upgrade to the original MX and there was also the LX and MX WiFi versions.
The OBDLink readers are usually recommended by software/app developers. It's also cost less, you noticed I didn't say it was cheaper as the company builds quality products.
Yes. The big difference seems to be using the blue driver software to interpret the data (it doesn't speak to other software, uses its own), versus the OBDLink MX that integrates with various software programs. So, I think it becomes a question of which software program you prefer. You mentioned a couple. Blue Driver software seems to be positively reviewed. They emailed back and said they have all the complex codes for RAM 1500 trucks. On some of the others you don't get as much info or have to pay for an add-on.

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
I recently retired, airline pilot for 39 years, and married to an over achieving wife for 40+. You have nothing to explain or apologize for. If my wife gets the finger, you can be sure she will reciprocate. If you really want to piss her off, call her little girl in a not so nice manner, as in men in her line of business have done in the past. We live in the south, different world. At that point I will quickly walk away, she doesn't need me to help her, lol. She also says the truck rides better than her Eco diesel Grand Cherokee. By the way, my dad was a VW and Studebaker dealer when we were kids growing up, so I like your Beetle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I recently retired, airline pilot for 39 years, and married to an over achieving wife for 40+. You have nothing to explain or apologize for. If my wife gets the finger, you can be sure she will reciprocate. If you really want to piss her off, call her little girl in a not so nice manner, as in men in her line of business have done in the past. We live in the south, different world. At that point I will quickly walk away, she doesn't need me to help her, lol. She also says the truck rides better than her Eco diesel Grand Cherokee. By the way, my dad was a VW and Studebaker dealer when we were kids growing up, so I like your Beetle.
This makes me smile. Thanks.

But think about the phrase, "over-achieving" wife. What message does that convey? That we are aberrant from what women should be? Sorry, couldn't resist.

Obviously, you have good taste.

Studebakers are cool. I'm not a car person, but they always reminded me of the US version of a Peugeot with all the eccentricities. I'm probably complete off target here.

Happy 4th.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Actually I have a good friend, male and money manager, whom I call an over achiever all the time and to his face. I also call him other not so nice names in jest.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Apologies. This is a bit off topic but timely.

Perhaps a hidden gift in this whole mess is that I am no longer in denial and realize I have to learn everything about this truck and how to take care of it. How to interpret any "advice" from the dealer. Diving in. I know much more than I knew a month ago. That's probably good. I left off on tuning my 56 VW so this is a bit overwhelming but one step at a time.

Can anyone give me advice on an OBD reader that will display basic info without overwhelming? Not too expensive. Reliable. Able to read codes.

2015 RAM EcoDiesel

Thanks very much.
If you decide to get an OBDII scanner, I'd also recommend this OBDII extension wire that comes with a power switch. With this, you leave it pluged in 24/7 and just hit the switch when you want it on / off.

This way you don't have to keep reaching under to plug it in and out all the time, and you don't risk forgetting it plugged in (where it'll use your battery power then the truck is off). I use VEEPEAK adapter with Torque PRO app on my phone and haven't had any issues with it. I only use it to check my DPF % so I know when my truck goes into regen and then I can complete the regen and not risk shutting it off during a regen.

https://www.amazon.ca/bbfly-A6-Splitter-Extension-Adapter-Switch/dp/B0744Q8525/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=obd2+extension+with+switch&qid=1562330124&refinements=p_85:5690392011&rnid=5690384011&rps=1&s=gateway&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.ca/Veepeak-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B011NSX27A/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=veepeak&qid=1562330272&s=gateway&sr=8-3

**my first veepeak broke open (the cover came off exposing the chips inside, and broke something) because it got stuck on the obdii port, I contacted veepeak and he sent me a replacement, no issues. I was pleased with the support of the product, I didn't expect them to come through but they did, unlike FCA!

·
Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
If you decide to get an OBDII scanner, I'd also recommend this OBDII extension wire that comes with a power switch. With this, you leave it pluged in 24/7 and just hit the switch when you want it on / off.

This way you don't have to keep reaching under to plug it in and out all the time, and you don't risk forgetting it plugged in (where it'll use your battery power then the truck is off).
This is not necessary with the OBDLink adapters as they will put themselves to sleep with the vehicle. Even with the truck being parked all week long throughout the winter and the OBDLink adapter left plugged in I had no issues with even a weak battery.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Thought would pop in and say hello. Checked on my stuck hourglass and the latest person said, "Oh! That last person you spoke to doesn't know what she is talking about. We are not aiming at 60 days to get you a case manager, don't call back until it has been 90 days." Silence. "Ok, says I. And the next one will tell me 120?" I've had all the papers all the updates all the online confirmations done since the first week in June. Ok. If lawyers are reading these posts, just take note. I'm tired of calling you also.

I followed the Facebook EcoDiesel page a bit but they kept showing pictures of burning or burnt up EcoDiesels, so I bought a fire extinguisher, practiced opening the hood quickly, and decided not to look at that page anymore.

Am going to have to face my dealer for an oil change one of these days... we did not leave in a happy place...

I dealt with my AEM problem my way, but still really annoyed the truck is now a hassle in terms of various issues and the resale is probably gone. Appreciate you all who are fighting the good fight. Was tired of conflicts...

My best to all.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts