RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
local shop tuned my truck and initially it would sputter or cut off power only while climbing a hill at medium load in too high of a gear. then it progressed to doing it on the highway flat land here and there. now it is doing it violently at any cruising speed, basically the less throttle input i give it - the worse it sputters/cuts out. the issue is non existant at half to full throttle. when it sputters it smokes like crazy, blue hue. took it back to the tuner and he reduced PSI at low end and shut off the swirl flaps electronically and made the truck a dog but this problem went away, but now almost undriveable. soooo yeah. i replaced the air filter and put a new map sensor. egr is delete. dpf is delete. have new non-sensored cat so no smoke or stink and oem muffler. i am using the bluedriver obd2 thingy and its showing that my boost is cutting on and off majorly at 1-25% throttle tip in, 26-50 minor/medium, 51-100 full boost no spiking or sputtering.

2015 ecodiesel ram 1500
please help, thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
egr was once removed, there is an orange plug near airbox just dangling. is this the same plug or could there be another? i learned yesterday that the problem begins once the truck hits 80c so i believe im trying to say while its on cold start mapping its fine but once it switches to operating temp map it becomes very jerky at cruising speeds

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 262,000 KM.
2,098 Posts
I had an old friend contact me about a tune for his just out of warranty 2018. I made my recommendations to use a well known tuner with a proven track record of quality and exceptional customer service (same tuner as I have used for 4 years). He dismissed my recomendation at the thought of his involvement of having to receive a hand held tuner, download a file and plug download/upload to his truck. He just wanted a tune that would get installed and no involvement on his part. He found a tuner in Vaughan, Ontario who I've never heard of. Loved his new tune for the first two weeks until his engine blew on his way to Florida last week. Coincidence?
As Bounty recommends, use a well known and reputable tuner. These engines are not cheap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Did tuner do the physical removals? If the tuner doesn't know what to do with it you probably shouldn't trust them with you $9k engine. I did a full delete and used a company the used MR tuning files, did the physical parts myself. Pretty happy with how things turned out. I just wish Gde could still do delete tunes. I'm sure it would be even better. Good luck

·
Vendor
1,453 Posts
My EGR, DPF and SCR can't go bad if I don't have any.
Those parts are rare failures, other than egr since it is a recall. The main bearings are weak link and deleting does not help that. Keep an eye on the Gen3 engines with stage1 and stage2 tuning. The oil analysis is showing higher rates of oil dilution. These tooners just turn off the emissions, but none know how to adjust the combustion to compensate for the higher O2 concentration. They do not know how to adjust the post injection and with egr off, the post tends to have more cylinder washing effects...these engines will not fare well in the long run.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
And who ever reported them to the epa in the first place. There not big enough to get that kind of attention other wise. That being said I have zero evidence to say who it was just a gut suspicion.
The EPA came down on MANY people who were selling several different tunes for different fuel types. I think it was just a crackdown since a few YouTubers I watch who sold race tunes for Hondas and such were also affected.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts