RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
7-14-15 I purchased a 2014 Ram eco diesel. It had 23,915 miles on it. I drove it for about a month and had no problems.

8-23-15 Service engine light . P0299 code and U1424. Service electronic throttle control message and limp mode. Dealer did update to transmission computer. 26,458 miles.

8-24-15 Dealer calls and says vehicle ready.

8-28-15 Service engine light . P0299 code and U1424. Service electronic throttle control message and limp mode. Dealer found MAP sensor ( Turbo Boost Pressure Sensor) clogged with soot. Replaced sensor. 26,859 miles.

9-02-15 Dealer called to say vehicle was ready to pick up.

9-03-15 Check engine light only. No message. No limp mode. Code P0171. Lean burn or something like that. Was before labor day weekend so they cleared code and told me to drive it and call them if I got another light next week.

9-11-15 Check engine light only. No message. No limp mode. Code P0171. Lean again. Dealer said they would call Star on Tuesday morning and start a ticket to see what the problem was. Code cleared and I was put back on the road.

9-14-15 Check engine light. Limp Mode. Service electronic throttle control message. Code of P0299 and U-1424. I return to the dealer and drop off vehicle.

9-16-15 Received call from the dealer and they have received a message from STAR and they wanted the tech to use a smoke machine and check the entire induction system for leaks. Verify there are no exhaust leaks, measure the transfer pump volume, inspect fuel for any signs of contamination and inspect O2 sensor for excessive soot. If nothing found then continue further with replacing the injectors, injector seals, the pressure lines, and the complete fuel filter housing assembly. Return all parts for lab testing.

9-18-15 Received call that the dealer has done all of the first part of the checks and have ordered parts. Should have the parts in a week or week and a half. Was told to drive the vehicle in the meantime and clear and codes with my own scanner and document mileage of when they happened . Do this until the all of the parts arrive to change out and see if this fixes the problem.

Is anyone else finding a fix to these problems? I read a lot of these posts but no one seems to post what the final fix was or if they have had any success in fixing them. Anyone able to give me any help on here?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd be starting lemon law paperwork at this point.. it's obviously got something pretty mysteriously vexing to the service department. . .

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wasn't there a thread (or two) about a Service Electronic Throttle warning that was specific to the '14s here a few months back? If I recall correctly, it was something to do with a chafed wire harness that caused intermittent loss of communication with the throttle device. It may be worth doing a search for that topic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
desertrat I am keeping a fairly close log on all of the check engine lights and trips to the dealer. Lawyer informed me that here in Missouri because I bought the truck as a second owner with almost 24k miles on it that the lemon law does not apply. It is only good for the first purchaser of a brand new vehicle.

v8318cid thanks. I have read a ton of the threads and can not find anyone of them talking about a wire. Can anyone point me in the right direction to the thread. My dealer and I would be thankful for the help.

97hmcs thank you.

·
Registered
956 Posts
There's lots of documentation here relating to "left foot braking". If you use your left foot to brake and have any slight pressure on the brake pedal while at the same time applying throttle, the ECU gets confused as it doesn't know if you're trying to GO or STOP so it freaks out.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Still1306 there's been a couple trucks with a wiring harness incorrectly installed and it rubs wires and it has been a major issue
Check out the post by Udontknowjack he had major problem with a harness and it was called -(I am regretting my decision about this Ram and Hella pissed right now )- and I believe it's a harness that will rub on a suspension upper arm , but I'm not sure ? Good luck and keep us posted and please post the fix on the forum when fixed so we can keep learning

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only drive with one foot. I have read the same forums on the left foot braking but I just never feel I need to drive with both feet. I have ridden with people that do I and I even feel unsafe in the passenger seat.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Still1306 there's been a couple trucks with a wiring harness incorrectly installed and it rubs wires and it has been a major issue
Check out the post by Udontknowjack he had major problem with a harness and it was called -(I am regretting my decision about this Ram and Hella pissed right now )- and I believe it's a harness that will rub on a suspension upper arm , but I'm not sure ? Good luck and keep us posted and please post the fix on the forum when fixed so we can keep learning
Ok Haul N Grass. I found the thread. His was a problem of a dead truck. Mine runs fine until it goes into limp mode. I have my own scanner so I can take it out of limp mode and it runs fine afterwards. It is just throwing the same codes about every 400 miles. Always seems to happen when getting into the throttle. Thanks for the help though. That was a post I had not seen earlier.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I strongly disagree with the fear of two foot drivers in automatics. I don't ride the brake with my left foot (braking foot) and always use two feet. Having grown up on a farm backing up to wagons, trailers and equipment over very rough ground (tractor tire grooves, plowed fields etc it was very dangerous to have someone guiding you back and not having your left foot ready to nail the brakes as eventually the vehicle would often take off once you finally gave it enough throttle to power over said bump, hole, trench etc. Far more control using two feet. That practice carried over into driving down a road etc as well. Why people think that's unsafe is beyond me. Should we only use one hand while steering in case the left hand doesn't cooperate with the right hand?? Just because you can't do it safely, doesn't mean others aren't more safe than your method of one foot is. I was watching a monster truck driver explain how he drove one day a couple years back and he specifically said he always drives with two feet as you have far more control and faster reaction time to each peddle.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I strongly disagree with the fear of two foot drivers in automatics. I don't ride the brake with my left foot (braking foot) and always use two feet. Having grown up on a farm backing up to wagons, trailers and equipment over very rough ground (tractor tire grooves, plowed fields etc it was very dangerous to have someone guiding you back and not having your left foot ready to nail the brakes as eventually the vehicle would often take off once you finally gave it enough throttle to power over said bump, hole, trench etc. Far more control using two feet. That practice carried over into driving down a road etc as well. Why people think that's unsafe is beyond me. Should we only use one hand while steering in case the left hand doesn't cooperate with the right hand?? Just because you can't do it safely, doesn't mean others aren't more safe than your method of one foot is. I was watching a monster truck driver explain how he drove one day a couple years back and he specifically said he always drives with two feet as you have far more control and faster reaction time to each peddle.
Times 2 ( I agree).

I grow up on a ranch and we farmed as well and also use both of my feet still to this day for both the same reasons (learned response and faster reaction time). In heavy traffic situations like Chicago, Denver, ect. there is no way a driver can react as fast with one foot versus two foot driving. I drive 80-90k miles per year work and personal use and it's definitely not made me a more unsafe driver, but rather saved me from being an accident statistic in a few cases.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I stated before I don't drive with two feet. If you do who cares. It isn't related to this post. Go make your own 2 footed post and discuss it there. I was trying to get help to my problem that everyone else seems to be having with out people like you getting the thread so side tracked about meaningless crap that nobody wants to read and try to learn from it. It is the purpose of this forum to have eco diesel owners try to help each other with issues. My feet work fine. I walk on both of them. I drive with one and no matter what your excuse it doesn't pertain to my problem. No could you 2 footed drivers save the thread space for people that might actually have something of importance to add.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I only drive with one foot. I have read the same forums on the left foot braking but I just never feel I need to drive with both feet. I have ridden with people that do I and I even feel unsafe in the passenger seat.
You side tracked your own thread buddy with the above post. All you had to ask was to get the post back on track not the additional babble you provided above. Post back on track. Good luck with finding answer to your problem.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
desertrat I am keeping a fairly close log on all of the check engine lights and trips to the dealer. Lawyer informed me that here in Missouri because I bought the truck as a second owner with almost 24k miles on it that the lemon law does not apply. It is only good for the first purchaser of a brand new vehicle.

v8318cid thanks. I have read a ton of the threads and can not find anyone of them talking about a wire. Can anyone point me in the right direction to the thread. My dealer and I would be thankful for the help.

97hmcs thank you.
Can't help with the CEL issue because I haven't had any so far on my 2014. Even though the Lemon Law doesn't apply, I would think there is still a legal remedy for defective merchandise. You would need to keep after the dealer and give them every opportunity to fix your truck but there HAS to be a point that is legally considered unreasonable. That's something your lawyer should know. I don't think you are there yet but keeping meticulous records will eventually win the day either way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mcsap I do believe they will eventually run out of things to throw at it. I would gladly take another one of these trucks because I don't think most of them have a problem. I don't believe that all of the things they are about to change will help but I understand that they have specific guidelines to follow to rule out problems. If it was something mechanical I would think that the check engine light would come on like clock work in the same situations every day. I believe they are dealing with something in the programming or and electrical malfunction that is going to be very difficult to find.

Has anyone on here tried using the OTC Info Logger and drive their truck and try to record the live data until you get the check engine light and the "service electronic throttle control" message? I was just wondering if the live data stream that you record could better point out what actually sent the failure message to the computer. This is the link to the tool I am looking at....https://www.otctools.com/products/infologger™-event-data-recorder

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another check engine light today. No limp mode. Code p-0171. System too lean bank 1. Happened at 27,608 miles. Same symptoms as before. Going up hill. Started on bottom of hill at highway speed between 75-80 mph. As I went up the hill and the speed dropped it downshifted into 7th gear. As soon as the downshift happened I got the check engine light. It has happened on the same hill in the same spot just like this before. Make me wonder if it has something to do with downshifting into 7th and going to a higher rpm on the engine at the same time.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I would look at your injectors & sensors for the exhaust. Something is causing improper combustion or combustion measurement. That's my two cents...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Hershey. They checked the o2 sensors on Friday 9-18-15 and said they were good and clean. Injectors are on order along with the other parts so I guess I just wait and keep clearing the codes as they come up until the parts arrive and I take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wasn't there a thread (or two) about a Service Electronic Throttle warning that was specific to the '14s here a few months back? If I recall correctly, it was something to do with a chafed wire harness that caused intermittent loss of communication with the throttle device. It may be worth doing a search for that topic.
I had one that turned out to be a electrical connector that had come loose. Reconnected, it has been trouble free for 10k miles.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 34 Posts