RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m coming from an ’06 Cummins 2500 so I need a little help choosing the right options. I’m planning on getting a Laramie Longhorn, Crew cab, 6’4” bed, 2wd, anti slip rear, trailer/tow package.

I’d prefer the 3.55 rear but it looks like based on the numbers I’ll need the 3.92 rear end.

I’ll be pulling a flat front enclosed car hauler that weighs about 7000 lbs loaded. In the bed of the truck will be a golf cart that’s about 750 lbs. Truck usually has about 600 lbs of occupants.

With the 2500 I load everything up and go without thinking about it. What am I going to need to make this setup work on the 1500 though? I’m thinking rear airbags are a given. The TLC ones look pretty nice and simple. What about weight dist/sway control bars? Think they’ll be needed even with air bags on the back of the truck?

I tow this way about 4-5 times a year. The rest of the year it will tow a pontoon that's about 5000 lb. I’m thinking that shouldn’t be an issue.

Am I crazy to make the switch or will this truck do ok with the right selection of options and add ons?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Whoa! That's more payload than my high school girlfriend put on by the 10 year reunion!!

With only a 10% hitch weight, that is 750+750+450 passengers so 1950 vs 1100 estimated payload per ram towing.

I have no experience with airbags so can't say either way. A couple guys on here do so they should be able to provide some insight.

Edit: I will say this. I have pulled travel trailers at about 3500lb without weight distro and 5500lb range with distro with my H3. It only has a stated max pin weight of 450 not factoring in brush guards, rock rails, and other add ons. I had less white knuckle moments pulling the 5500 with distro even though over weight, than the 3500 without distro which was probably about max weight rating. This was over the same exact route. I personally am a believer in distro hitches.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Your truck will be fine! Airbags are a good idea! If you are only towing a few times a year I would go the 355's the rest of the time you will pick up a couple mps's constantly

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was kind of thinking the same thing on the 355s. I my average tow with the trailer is maybe 350 mi each way and it's almost always in TX/OK which is mostly flat. Plus I only travel 65-70 max when towing so the truck shouldn't be too stressed even if really loaded.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
You are going to be up there with weight in and on the truck.

Airbags might be needed. I am using Timbren bumper stops and they do stop sag with 700 + lbs of tongue weight added. Both may be better.

You are going to have to use your weight distribution bars. If you don't, whether you have airbags and bumper stop helpers on, the weight is going to be on the tires. The stock tires may struggle with that much weight. Maybe a switch to LT sidewall tires would help if you insist on towing without weight distribution bar?

Overall you will be able to use the Ecodiesel. It will pull well. I know, having come from an '04 Cummins and done some towing tests. Still, it's not a 3/4 ton truck. don't expect it to be.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You are going to be up there with weight in and on the truck.

Airbags might be needed. I am using Timbren bumper stops and they do stop sag with 700 + lbs of tongue weight added. Both may be better.

You are going to have to use your weight distribution bars. If you don't, whether you have airbags and bumper stop helpers on, the weight is going to be on the tires. The stock tires may struggle with that much weight. Maybe a switch to LT sidewall tires would help if you insist on towing without weight distribution bar?

Overall you will be able to use the Ecodiesel. It will pull well. I know, having come from an '04 Cummins and done some towing tests. Still, it's not a 3/4 ton truck. don't expect it to be.
Happy 1,000th post Captain!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I use air lift 1000. Cheap, Simple all you do is add air when you need it and deflate to 5-7 psi when not needed.
3.55 should be fine for how infrequent you tow. That is what I have and my trailer is approximately 7500lbs and it pulls it fine.
I also recommend the weight distribution hitch and tires with a heavier load rating.

·
Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
1,881 Posts
I’m coming from an ’06 Cummins 2500 so I need a little help choosing the right options. I’m planning on getting a Laramie Longhorn, Crew cab, 6’4” bed, 2wd, anti slip rear, trailer/tow package.

I’d prefer the 3.55 rear but it looks like based on the numbers I’ll need the 3.92 rear end.

I’ll be pulling a flat front enclosed car hauler that weighs about 7000 lbs loaded. In the bed of the truck will be a golf cart that’s about 750 lbs. Truck usually has about 600 lbs of occupants.

With the 2500 I load everything up and go without thinking about it. What am I going to need to make this setup work on the 1500 though? I’m thinking rear airbags are a given. The TLC ones look pretty nice and simple. What about weight dist/sway control bars? Think they’ll be needed even with air bags on the back of the truck?

I tow this way about 4-5 times a year. The rest of the year it will tow a pontoon that's about 5000 lb. I’m thinking that shouldn’t be an issue.

Am I crazy to make the switch or will this truck do ok with the right selection of options and add ons?
You'd be exceeding the truck's payload by 1,133lbs by my estimation. Even if you took the golf cart out of the bed, you're still exceeding the payload.
Tongue weight-840+golf cart 750+passengers 600=2,190lbs. The RAM towing guide shows the Laramie 4x2 crew cab 6'4" bed 3.0L diesel with 3.92s has a payload of 1,057lbs.

The truck would do it with some modifications, I think, but you'd be really exceeding the published limits I believe. Both the GCWR and the RAWR.

I'd stick with the 2500 if I were you, but it is your decision to make.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Agree with top, pushing past the limits and the 2500 would be much better off for that loading and towing. That much over and the brakes will be hard pressed to control the load, never mind the suspension handling it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
With the airbags, WDH, and a upgrade to LT tires you will be fine doing that 4-5 times a year.

On my 07 2500 with me and my dad, Ranch hand front and Rear bumpers, I'd load up my 36' trailer with 24 1400lb avg 6x6 Round bales of prairie hay 8-10 times a year going 70 miles loaded each time that was well over that trucks payload and I never once had a problem (Firestone airbags on board compressor). I kept it under 65 and just cruised.

With my 2014 truck in my sig I've pulled my Car trailer with a 78 Ford F 250 Mudder with my Honda Big Red 250 3 wheeler, 4 jugs of gasoline, me my wife 2 kids, ice chest, camping gear, and 2 full size spares. We had ZERO problems here in Oklahoma we went out to the Mudd flats and to the Disney Dam truck pulled wonderful. I didn't even have my WDH on.

So yes the truck will handle it. 5-8 times a year no big deal. I am like cap tho its not a 2500 and I wouldn't do it 3-5 times a week.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Saw a 150 Ford towing a horse trailer with two horses today. 50 mph tops and rear bumper darn close to the ground. Blew by him on one of my Harleys and got into a discussion about towing, suspension and engines.

TC's steering you right. The guy did it today and may not try that again for a while. It worked and for occasional usage ...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Just because you can, doesn't necessarily mean you should.
I agree, hauling really short trips (couple miles) is one thing but being that overloaded for an hour or more drive is a bit much for my personal preference.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey I won't disagree it's not the best case scenario. But he isn't talking about loading it weekly that way and it is only 1000lb the Airbags, WDH, and LT tires more then make up for the weight.

Again if it was me and you aren't towing with DOT#s and it's your own personal truck then I would have no fear in doing it. That's why I bought the Diesel 1500 for anything under 10k lbs. But I live on a Farm/Ranch and we don't pussy foot around much out here. Use you truck/equipment to what you feel it is capable of doing. Would I do that much weight 100% stock probably not. But with all the above added on. It's clearly beefing up the load capabilities of your truck. I still say yes.

But to each his own.

Reactions: Woodsman

·
Registered
17 Posts
The problem with exceeding the limits has to do with liability mostly. If there were to be a major wreck with injuries and "their" legal people added up your load, etc. you could be in a world of hurt.

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you don't have adequate insurance, or if you are running DOT/Hot shotting you would be in a world of trouble. But if you have insurance and you are hauling your own personal item/items then you would only be at fault for the damaged you cause but your insurance will still cover what you had done.

No you wouldn't be able to go after RAM for any possible faults of the truck that much I will agree with. But again if you've totalled your truck your insurance is going to cover you assuming you aren't just carrying liability only.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
You can't tow that with THAT!

This type of discussion comes up regularly on the RV forums. Normally it isn't too long before someone throws out the liability argument. I have driven quite a few miles over the years. I often see people travelling with what I would consider overloaded cars, SUVs and pickups. I'm sure you've all seen them too. Just take a drive on I-35 in Texas. You'll see them. The law enforcement people aren't too concerned with them. I guess they have better things to do, rightfully so.

There are many modifications you can make to a vehicle to make it tow better and safer. Air bags, LT tires, the best W/D hitch etc. One thing you can't do is change the MFR's front and rear axle weight ratings (FAWR/RAWR), gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and gross combined vehicle weight rating (GCVWR). When you knowingly exceed those ratings you are adding risk, not to mention additional wear and tear on your new truck. I'm sure there is some fine print in the powertrain warranty concerning exceeding these limits.

The question from the OP was "Am I crazy?" Some will say yes and others will say no. It all depends on your perspective.

I think the OP could make a 1500 EcoDiesel work if he were to move the golf cart to the trailer.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
This type of discussion comes up regularly on the RV forums. Normally it isn't too long before someone throws out the liability argument. I have driven quite a few miles over the years. I often see people travelling with what I would consider overloaded cars, SUVs and pickups. I'm sure you've all seen them too. Just take a drive on I-35 in Texas. You'll see them. The law enforcement people aren't too concerned with them. I guess they have better things to do, rightfully so.

There are many modifications you can make to a vehicle to make it tow better and safer. Air bags, LT tires, the best W/D hitch etc. One thing you can't do is change the MFR's front and rear axle weight ratings (FAWR/RAWR), gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and gross combined vehicle weight rating (GCVWR). When you knowingly exceed those ratings you are adding risk, not to mention additional wear and tear on your new truck. I'm sure there is some fine print in the powertrain warranty concerning exceeding these limits.

The question from the OP was "Am I crazy?" Some will say yes and others will say no. It all depends on your perspective.

I think the OP could make a 1500 EcoDiesel work if he were to move the golf cart to the trailer.
It would certainly help with the payload

1 - 20 of 21 Posts