RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just took a trip to Nashville and on the way home caught a rock on the far right side of the windshield that chipped the surface of the glass. Unfortunately within 10 miles a crack started to move from the passenger A-pillar toward the center of the windshield. The crack grows a little each day and is now about a foot across so I'm going to replace the windshield - but the question is to go OEM or to a glass replacement company?

I have a Laramie Longhorn with the auto-dimming headlights and auto wipers, both of which use sensors to 'see' through the glass. Does the OEM windshield have special properties to enable those functions to work or can I go with any glass company's version for the Ram? I don't have comprehensive coverage on my truck so the replacement will be on my dime. My local dealer saw a different chip in my windshield when I was in for the AEM update and quoted $568 (!) for new glass.

Thoughts and experiences welcomed ;-)

Bob

·
Registered
12,463 Posts
Kind of surprised you do not have insurance to cover glass breakage. Twice I have had windshield repair the past 10 years. One from a bullet and one recently on my Ecodiesel from a stone or something. In each case an aftermarket company chosen by the insurance company came dn replaced the windshield at the house. There was a third time on my Ecodiesel again when I took it to a local windshield repair to have a teeny chip infused with glue. Again, it was fully covered by insurance with NO negative affect on my insurance rates.

Check your policy to be sure.

Aftermarket is what I got both times. I see no difference in what I have compared to what I had from the factory.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Kind of surprised you do not have insurance to cover glass breakage. Twice I have had windshield repair the past 10 years. One from a bullet and one recently on my Ecodiesel from a stone or something. In each case an aftermarket company chosen by the insurance company came dn replaced the windshield at the house. There was a third time on my Ecodiesel again when I took it to a local windshield repair to have a teeny chip infused with glue. Again, it was fully covered by insurance with NO negative affect on my insurance rates.

Aftermarket is what I got both times. I see no difference in what I have compared to what I had from the factory.
I agree, aftermarket is the only way to go. It will be half the cost of OEM (at least). And the tip about checking insurance is a good one. You may already be covered and, if not, adding glass replacement coverage may be cost effective. (Here in Colorado a glass replacement policy is expensive. Often dry and windy and glass damage is ubiquitous. I can replace a windshield every other year out-of-pocket for the cost of the insurance.)

·
Registered
708 Posts
I always use Safelite over the years, inexpensive and fast.

They will come to your house or work too. I watched a guy put in new glass in my old truck last year, pretty slick deal.

·
Registered
600 Posts
No difference in quality between OEM and aftermarket. Big difference in price. Just make sure they replace with the same type and tint.

·
Registered
134 Posts
No difference in quality between OEM and aftermarket. Big difference in price. Just make sure they replace with the same type and tint.
The OEM glass is supposed to be made by Corning, they have a great reputation as far as I know so I am going to try and stay OEM. The government where I live puts gravel on the icy winter roads so chips are unavoidable the cheap glass seems like it chips easy.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Call your insurance company and play ignorance even if you know they won't help you. I had a rock on the interstate hit my windshield on my JK wrangler a couple years ago and called my insurance co. They told me the cost of the windshield to be replaced was less than my deductible so I was better off just paying out of pocket. BUT, because I called them, they gave me a discount code to use with Safelite. It was $50 off.

I have no complaints about the Safelite windshield. The guy who put it in even offered to re-install my lightbar after, but I preferred to do that myself.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
On side windows my experience has been that aftermarket glass tint sometimes does not match OEM tint. That would not be as noticeable with a windshield. You did not mention the price difference between OEM and aftermarket. I always go OEM on all my stuff when possible. As you mentioned, auto-dim and auto-wipers could be an issue. If you go aftermarket, make sure the installer agrees to swap it out if you have any problems.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a '15 Lamarie Longhorn. I got hit by a rock last year on the passenger side, about eye level(wife still claims it was a boulder). I called State Farm and filed the claim, then I had to call and talk to the service they use. While taking to them I told them I preferred to get a OEM replacement, she said it would be no problem, because of the sensors in the windshield. I guess the aftermarkets might not have them. And I still have the little Ram head in the corner.....lol

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have a '15 Lamarie Longhorn. I got hit by a rock last year on the passenger side, about eye level(wife still claims it was a boulder). I called State Farm and filed the claim, then I had to call and talk to the service they use. While taking to them I told them I preferred to get a OEM replacement, she said it would be no problem, because of the sensors in the windshield. I guess the aftermarkets might not have them. And I still have the little Ram head in the corner.....lol
Just did a quick quote on my 2015 with a local discount auto glass vendor. They have windshields available for all the sensors and connectors. 47% cheaper than OEM. If State Farm is paying then go for it. But if I was paying out of pocket OEM is not on the menu for me.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts

I think you will find glass coverage by insurance only makes money for the insurance Company. It makes no sense up here. Interestingly the chip repair people charge $60 for the repair but when you tell them you are paying and not the insurance company you get it for $40.

IMHO insurance is only for things you cannot afford to fix yourself out of pocket. It seldom makes good economic sense if you can manage your money yourself.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Florida law requires insurance companies to pay for 1 windshield repair or replacement per year, with no penalties to the owner ... Now I’ve been going through a unique issue with a windshield for the past week ..

Here’s my story, I purchased a 2015 VW Passat TDI from Kuhn’s Volkswagen on 5/29 in Tampa with CPO from Volkswagen (Certified Pre Ownership Good at all Volkswagen dealerships ) Which I have bumper to bumper warranty for 2 years unlimited mileage . Well 2 days after my purchase the rear view mirror fell off the windshield , I went by Lakeland Volkswagen for another issue while I was there I figured have them fix my mirror, WRONG? ...

The service writer at Lakeland Volkswagen without even going out to my car stated my mirror wasn’t covered by my bumper to bumper Volkswagen warranty? I then stated I have warranty Bumper to Bumper, He then stated only on genuine Volkswagen parts ? I then asked what are you talking about? He then said go look at your windshield it’s Not Factory Volkswagen? All this with out leaving his desk ? I went out to my car and looked at my windshield and he was right, I have a Pilkington replacement windshield in my newly purchased car with Bumper to Bumper warranty which is NOT covered from Volkswagen because it’s not a factory part/windshield ...

I then proceeded to ask the service writer how he knew it wasn’t a factory VW windshield without even looking at it , He said as soon as I told him the rear view mirror has fallen off,It wasn’t a Volkswagen windshield, because their experience’s with aftermarket windshields was the rear view mirrors always fall off aftermarket windshields ? He then said they only use factory VW windshields because of this issue.

Now hopefully I’m going to resolve this issue with Kuhn’s Volkswagen today , the sales manager gave me a voucher for a new VW windshield, but I would like to use a local glass shop instead of mobile glass shop in case I have any issues in near future I have a local shop to go to instead of calling for service from mobile glass shop.. For hopefully better customer service if needed...

Apparently Florida’s heat/ sunshine doesn’t play well with aftermarket VW Passat windshields ? I don’t know or care I just want my rear view mirror attached where it belongs without falling off again, And please no advice on acts of Congress ..

This is my personal experiences with this vehicle and aftermarket windshields.. Never had an issue in 40 plus years with aftermarket windshields ,always learning some new , even when I didn’t want to learn....

·
Registered
708 Posts
The OEM glass is supposed to be made by Corning, they have a great reputation as far as I know so I am going to try and stay OEM. The government where I live puts gravel on the icy winter roads so chips are unavoidable the cheap glass seems like it chips easy.
Believe me, the OEM windshield, they crack too. I have 3 "stars" and a couple of shallow chips in mine.

Alaska has no love for windshields. It's the first thing you'll get asked after driving up. "Did you bust your windshield?"

·
Registered
274 Posts
Florida law requires insurance companies to pay for 1 windshield repair or replacement per year, with no penalties to the owner ... Now I’ve been going through a unique issue with a windshield for the past week ..

Here’s my story, I purchased a 2015 VW Passat TDI from Kuhn’s Volkswagen on 5/29 in Tampa with CPO from Volkswagen (Certified Pre Ownership Good at all Volkswagen dealerships ) Which I have bumper to bumper warranty for 2 years unlimited mileage . Well 2 days after my purchase the rear view mirror fell off the windshield , I went by Lakeland Volkswagen for another issue while I was there I figured have them fix my mirror, WRONG? ...

The service writer at Lakeland Volkswagen without even going out to my car stated my mirror wasn’t covered by my bumper to bumper Volkswagen warranty? I then stated I have warranty Bumper to Bumper, He then stated only on genuine Volkswagen parts ? I then asked what are you talking about? He then said go look at your windshield it’s Not Factory Volkswagen? All this with out leaving his desk ? I went out to my car and looked at my windshield and he was right, I have a Pilkington replacement windshield in my newly purchased car with Bumper to Bumper warranty which is NOT covered from Volkswagen because it’s not a factory part/windshield ...

I then proceeded to ask the service writer how he knew it wasn’t a factory VW windshield without even looking at it , He said as soon as I told him the rear view mirror has fallen off,It wasn’t a Volkswagen windshield, because their experience’s with aftermarket windshields was the rear view mirrors always fall off aftermarket windshields ? He then said they only use factory VW windshields because of this issue.

Now hopefully I’m going to resolve this issue with Kuhn’s Volkswagen today , the sales manager gave me a voucher for a new VW windshield, but I would like to use a local glass shop instead of mobile glass shop in case I have any issues in near future I have a local shop to go to instead of calling for service from mobile glass shop.. For hopefully better customer service if needed...

Apparently Florida’s heat/ sunshine doesn’t play well with aftermarket VW Passat windshields ? I don’t know or care I just want my rear view mirror attached where it belongs without falling off again, And please no advice on acts of Congress ..

This is my personal experiences with this vehicle and aftermarket windshields.. Never had an issue in 40 plus years with aftermarket windshields ,always learning some new , even when I didn’t want to learn....
For CPO to occur, the selling dealer is required to do a full inspection as part of the certification. If they CPO'd the vehicle maybe there's some room to argue that the dealer didnt do their duty...may at least get a discount or something.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts

This kinda gets into the OEM vs. Aftermarket filter discussions. Based on what the Service Writer said, aftermarket air, oil, and fuel filters could be problematic on a warranty claim. While in the end one could probably prove that the aftermarket filter was not at fault, its much easier (for me) to just run OEM filters not have to worry about having those discussions with the dealer.

·
Registered
481 Posts
First, this is my Canadian experience.

The windshield is the windshield, is the windshield.

You go to any Automotive Glass place that has good ratings and request OEM Glass. They do the same glass as the dealer because they do it for the dealer. No dealer here does glass. They call the glass shop and have them do it and add a mark-up. So you are far better off going to a glass place yourself and not involve a dealer.

The glass shops here will give you a much better price if no insurance is involved also.

My windshield for my 2016, in 2016 was $380 CDN, Installed, same day, OEM glass (Had the RAM head and all)

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Roegs/ andymax....I’m posting my real world experiences to help and share a very rare situation , it’s basically identical to roegs analogy with a windshield, I didn’t want to argue in this post about OEM vs Aftermarket, because I never cared . I’m supposed to have a resolution today? And I noticed that Twobobs has a higher trim truck , most likely with rain sensitive wipers, if there’s an issue down the road with the wipers operation will his dealership do same as mine ,not factory no warranty?

I do not blame either dealerships or Volkswagen or anyone, Because who checks a windshield for OEM or Aftermarket ? No one ...When I purchase a used vehicle I try to be extremely thorough , I have them put it on the rack, and check it inside and out, and if I would have noticed a aftermarket windshield I wouldn’t care , until now .... If I had a choice go OEM.....

Andymax the selling dealership has been very helpful so far , I believe they would like to solve this issue with everyone being happy...

·
Registered
89 Posts
A friend had a cracked windshield on her BMW.
Insurance would only pay for an aftermarket replacement with sensors and other windshield mounted gear transferred over.
BMW told her that some of the gear would not survive being transferred and would no longer qualify for BMW warranty.
She paid for the dealer to install a genuine OEM at considerable cost.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Years ago I went with an after market replacement instead of OEM since my insurance company did not cover windshields at the time. For most of the viewing area it was just fine but down along the edges, the windshield was wavy. Almost as bad as really old window glass. My insurance company now covers spot repairs with no out of pocket. Sometimes that's good enough. Other times, not so much.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts