RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my truck is starting to have a very strange vibration when accelerating onto the highway or any speed above 45. The vibration is very much like something is out of balance, but it is only doing it when the truck is accelerating and under normal acceleration but not heavy. As soon as I let off of the pedal the vibration goes away. The other strange thing is it is not all of the time, it is very intermittent. So of course the dealer takes it for a drive and the truck does not do it for them. I have another drive set up with the tech on Friday morning to try again.

My question for you is do any of you have an idea as to what would be causing this, or have any of you experienced this? I know it is not a tire that is out of balance it has to do something with the truck and driveline under load.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

·
Registered
284 Posts
That's a tough one... could be all kinds of different things...none of which you would expect to see on a brand new truck. Pinion bearing would be one of the 1st things that comes to mind, u joint is another, drive shaft out of balance...the list just goes on from there. Hopefully they can find it this time for you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a tough one... could be all kinds of different things...none of which you would expect to see on a brand new truck. Pinion bearing would be one of the 1st things that comes to mind, u joint is another, drive shaft out of balance...the list just goes on from there. Hopefully they can find it this time for you.
They just seemed to have absolutely no clue last time why it would do it and no clue where to even look. They almost seemed afraid to look at the truck. I want to come with a few ideas to the table when I bring it in Friday.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Road surface.

New truck - shocks, bushings, springs are still stiff and firm. This transmits almost every vibration the tires feel through to the steering and body. Big oscillations will cycle the suspension, but small ones pass through easier. This happens a lot, as the road surfaces we often see and assume are flat, simply are not. And we feel the difference rather than seeing it.

So, my suggestion in all this is to rule out road surface issues causing this random occurrence. It could well be a mechanical issue, but almost every issue that pops up is a simple fix, and it's root cause is something simple - pinched o-ring, loose clamp, missing item, bolt backed off, broken bit of plastic, etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can tell you 100% that it is not a road surface. I did some more driving today and I can tell you that it is between 1600-2000 rpm and when the truck is under a bit of load, up a hill or gently accelerating on to the freeway. You can really feel the vibration before the truck shifts gear. It would be when I am heading up a gentle hill and holding the throttle position as the truck starts to lose speed before the truck shifts the vibration will begin if i apply slightly more throttle the vibration will increase until the truck down shifts or upshifts. If the truck holds the gear the vibration will get so bad it is difficult to control the truck. Once it shifts down or up the vibration goes away. It is ever so slightly noticeable at slow speeds but much more prevalent at speeds over 45.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
malinois said:
If the truck holds the gear the vibration will get so bad it is difficult to control the truck.
Umm...might this be a bit of an exaggeration? If it's that bad, the truck should be off the road - not driven, as it' endangering other people.

Now, drive shaft? (Do we have a one piece driveshaft on these trucks?)

Broken belt in a tire (doubtful given the issues sounds like it's engine speed dependent)?

Maybe a bad ujoint?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Umm...might this be a bit of an exaggeration? If it's that bad, the truck should be off the road - not driven, as it' endangering other people.
When it is at its worst, it feels like I am trying to drive on a very washboarded road. The safety issue is one of my biggest concerns. That is why I am upset at the dealer and ram advising me that I need to continue driving it until something breaks or it gets bad enough that they can see exactly what is wrong with the truck. The problem is it is not consistent but intermittent so it is difficult to diagnose.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Ujoint.....another member had a spyder gear that was out.....maybe look there?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So today I was able to start the morning out by taking a service tech for a ride. He had no clear idea of what the vibration could be, but he does not think that it is driveline related. He thinks that the DPF is not regenerating so it is creating a ton of back pressure. He did mention that he has seen two grand cherokees for that same problem.
Well the day finishes off with me on the side of the road waiting on a tow truck. The truck wii not drive!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts