RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2016 Laramie with 73,000 miles. Bought with 18,000 and up to this winter had little to no issue, other than normal warranty recalls and new tires. Wife drives daily 25 miles one way, 50 miles round trip. We pull a wake boat in the summer and it does awesome, way better in my opinion than gas trucks. Use it for long road trips and it is amazing @ 70 on the highway.

Sometime in December I noticed small 2 inch circles, maybe 2-4 at a time, of anti-freeze toward the front right corner of the engine. We recently had EGR work done under warranty, so I thought maybe something related to that had caused a leak. Took it to the stealership and they replaced the 3-way bypass valve. They stated it had seized causing the housing or one of the coupling ends to crack. Not sure if that is accurate, but it did solve the problem...for a short time.

A couple to few weeks later I noticed more coolant leaks, similar to before. Took it back thinking part was bad and they said coolant was leaking out of the water pump weep hole. Gave me the estimate of around $1500. I politely said no thanks and called a diesel shop to get a second opinion. Shop is well respected and my nephew, who is a mechanic, is personal friends and trusts them with his equipment. They confirmed water pump leak and saved me $400. Not cheap, but felt better. Pump alone is $710! Ouch!

Anyway, weeks later (this is end of February by now), I see more leaks on floor. I call shop back and they find a cross-over tube under water pump had cracked. Replaced and so far so good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm in this for $2000 with all of the extras that hit me the first time dealing with the dealership. My question to the group is this something people have heard or experienced? Hoping my issues is solved, but wondering if these engines are issue prone to this. I have not found any similar posts here, but one clue to this last issue being common is the parts warehouse the shop I uses had this tube in stock.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,960 Posts
Have had both the three way and water pumps reported leaking, although I can't say for sure those have been reported by the same person. As for the crossover tube leaking, that was probably just bad luck, have had other with other complications after water pump replacement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One should always replace the bypass tube when changing the water pump.
I'll be honest, I have not done much on this truck myself...yet. I do the oil changes and fuel filter on my own. Full disclaimer, I'm not an expert mechanic, but have done many repairs and can trouble shoot issues on gas engine vehicles pretty well (I'm a fan of older Volkswagens and have owned and wrenched on my share). I just didn't know there was a bypass tube. Shop has worked on some and has replaced the water pumps on a few, but this was the first bypass tube they said they have replaced. This truck was pricy enough to make me want to stay with a pro until I get past the warranty. Sadly due to the age, this was not covered. Going forward I will remember this tip and pass along.
Is the bypass tube specific to this engine model? I haven't really seen anything like this before on a car that would be considered a consumable item.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts