RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, been trolling around on here since I ordered my new 1500 (ordered 2/10 delivered 3/26) and thought I would share some of my experiences with it.

First of all, I wouldn't put much faith in the vots deal. 2 days after getting email that it was starting to build it was on the dealers lot, LOL!

Very very very impressive truck. Fit and finish fantastic. For those that are test driving lot trucks the more miles driven the better it gets. Trans learns and shifts nicer all the time. Power of the engine is way better than I ever thought and I feel will only get better. I've drove about everything out there (we have a truck accessory shop) and this thing ranks up there with the best.

My opinion these things are plenty tight and with some break in we are going to see some pretty impressive mpg figures. Mine is a 4x4 Laramie with 3.55 gears and in 400+ miles the lie o meter is 24-25. I think the best thing would be to shut off the economy gage and don't look at it for a 1000 miles so your not tempted to drive it with a purse and coax every last bit of mpg out of it. I wouldn't pound on it either lol.

I hope everyone has the same warm and fuzzys about theirs as I have mine

shopboss

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sounds great. Mine should show up this week, but I'm travelling for work...so should be waiting for me when I return to the country. Really looking forward to it and glad you guys are posting first impressions. I'll be towing with mine within a week or two of owning it and VERY interested to see how MPG's do pulling a 3500# popup.

Cheers!

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Right about one thing. I stare at the fuel economy screen too much.

Found a minor dent in my hood yesterday. Actually others looking at it found it. Not going to do anything about it as it's oh so minor and not worth messing up the hood to try and fix.

Now one other thing I can't figure, since people keep asking, That phone thing - U Connect - no clue if I even have it let alone how it might work. My rest is kind of warm and fuzzy.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Do a search for Paintless Dent Repair in your area. It is really neat how they do it (come in behind the metal sheet). They can often massage the dent out 100%. I am a little biased because it is what my cousin does - but it really does work. Of course it is like everything else - the quality will depend on the person doing the repair. But it is usually reasonably priced, and quick.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Take it back to the dealer and see what they say. They would probably go the PDR route and have them pay for it to also.

·
Registered
177 Posts
The eight speed trans shifts seamlessly from mile one. My wife has a 2011 Yukon with the six speed trans. It took about 1,000 miles before that trans shifted without noticing it.

The truck rides like a large sedan. Just floats down the road.

Right out of the box I was getting about 24 or so MPG around town.

Fit and finish is nice.

Didn't realize it until I took the truck to Ziebart, they said the hood is composite according to their data base. Someone I know that works at the Chrysler tech center confirmed this.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Parco, are you having the truck undercoated? I haven't had that done to any one of my trucks in years. Maybe I should. The two year old truck I have now (Chevy) has rust spots appearing on the frame.

The eight speed trans shifts seamlessly from mile one. My wife has a 2011 Yukon with the six speed trans. It took about 1,000 miles before that trans shifted without noticing it.

The truck rides like a large sedan. Just floats down the road.

Right out of the box I was getting about 24 or so MPG around town.

Fit and finish is nice.

Didn't realize it until I took the truck to Ziebart, they said the hood is composite according to their data base. Someone I know that works at the Chrysler tech center confirmed this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine is going in tuesday to Ziebart for rustproof and undercoat. I hate working under a truck when its been done but with all the "car-be-gone" thats being sprayed on the roads these days its gotta help.

·
Registered
231 Posts
.All I can say is the Laramie package is awesome. Just tried out the ventilated and heated seats and I was very happy. Leather interior is flawless with great wood accents. Driving the truck is smooth and quiet. Im truly happy with the interior noise levels. The 8.4 connect is something that puts a smile on your face at every turn. You can control so much with the push of a finger or a quick flick of the control on the steering wheel. The engine is completely quiet at driving speeds and almost unnoticeable at idle or park. The transmission shifts effortlessly and it is almost unnoticeable. Ive been waiting a long time for luxury and usability in a truck. I think I found what I've been missing after purchasing two Duramax Diesel 2500's and not being satisfied.

·
Registered
13,683 Posts
Not interested in taking the time to show my hood dent to the dealer. My bet is it's from someone's thumb pushing the hood shut. Seriously. It looks like a thumb print right where that could happen. If the hood is aluminum that's possible. There's a solid piece behind it so dent removal would not be a simple "push out".

That transmission shift knob still confuses me. I actually turned that knob to the right yesterday thinking it was the starter fob. Not related to the truck but I'm also having trouble dealing with my left leg. It wants to do something useful, like work the clutch. I'm starting to feel like some kind of sissy with this automatic transmission. May have to find an antique car or truck with manual transmission to ride around. Even a two-seater like my old Crossfire would work. Tired of visualizing some overweight woman doing the high-heel swing between accelerator and brake to drive. I don't want to be just like here.

Another impression is dust all over the rear cap window and that stupid ledge on top of the curved tailgate. It fair seeks out road grime, dust and debris to sit there. In the rain there's a visible vortex of rain hitting into the back window. Not Ram but ARS would be the issue here. .

·
Registered
693 Posts
Not related to the truck but I'm also having trouble dealing with my left leg. It wants to do something useful, like work the clutch. I'm starting to feel like some kind of sissy with this automatic transmission. May have to find an antique car or truck with manual transmission to ride around. Even a two-seater like my old Crossfire would work. Tired of visualizing some overweight woman doing the high-heel swing between accelerator and brake to drive. I don't want to be just like here.
My feelings exactly. Everyone should have a classic manual transmission car.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Every diesel I've driven has been a stick and boy did it feel like it was missing something when I test drove, I know excactly what you mean cap :) ...I have an old 2 door Toyota stick for fun, but can't drive one full time anymore cause of a chronic bad left knee and hamstring. My trade is a stick too.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a 2002 Duramx with a six speed manual. You definitely felt like you were driving a truck. That shifter must have been three feet long. With these ED's, I can't imagine trying to shift through eight gears.

Not interested in taking the time to show my hood dent to the dealer. My bet is it's from someone's thumb pushing the hood shut. Seriously. It looks like a thumb print right where that could happen. If the hood is aluminum that's possible. There's a solid piece behind it so dent removal would not be a simple "push out".

That transmission shift knob still confuses me. I actually turned that knob to the right yesterday thinking it was the starter fob. Not related to the truck but I'm also having trouble dealing with my left leg. It wants to do something useful, like work the clutch. I'm starting to feel like some kind of sissy with this automatic transmission. May have to find an antique car or truck with manual transmission to ride around. Even a two-seater like my old Crossfire would work. Tired of visualizing some overweight woman doing the high-heel swing between accelerator and brake to drive. I don't want to be just like here.

Another impression is dust all over the rear cap window and that stupid ledge on top of the curved tailgate. It fair seeks out road grime, dust and debris to sit there. In the rain there's a visible vortex of rain hitting into the back window. Not Ram but ARS would be the issue here. .

D

·
0 Posts
I picked up my EcoDiesel SLT 4x4 at the dealer yesterday around noon. I had to wait for my truck to be fuelled and detailed once all the paperwork had been done. I'm really impressed with the fit, finish and quality of my new truck. It idles slightly louder than a gasoline model, is very smooth, shifts flawlessly, and is very quiet at highway speeds. I drove it just over 200 kilometres(120 miles) home from the dealer on both street and highway. My average fuel consumption so far is 11 litres/100 kilometres but considering I got stuck in slow heavy traffic on the 401, rolled 120 kilometres(75 mph) and did some slow city driving, I think the mileage is decent for a vehicle of this size. It'll be interesting to see what kind of mileage I'm able to achieve during my regular commute. On the way home I stopped at an aftermarket truck company and had a Bak Roll-X tonneau cover installed. I researched covers and like the sleek look and solid construction of this particular model. I hope everyone else enjoys their new truck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
First impressions.... I'm impressed. After owning just about every other diesel truck made I really didn't think I would be impressed with this one. I bought it to see what it was like more than anything and I like it. For me, getting use to the "small engine" sound is the only hurdle for me as I have enjoyed the big diesel sound in other trucks. The motor and trans combo is top shelf I love the fuel economy so far as well. Looks like Dodge has set the bar.
MB

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can only concur with shopboss' comments, better than expected.

The tightness and quietness of the truck is superb. We've got the Limited and there is just about any gadget you'd expect on any luxury vehicle. Our truck did show up without side steps. I reminded my dealer that this was standard equipment, the sales manager thought it was optional, though corrected himself very quickly after checking. Oh, well they will be here in a few days. Installed an American tonneau roll cover over the weekend (yes we are splurging a little, but I must before social security runs out). What a great working cover.

Did a little research on oil changes, Chrysler recommends a "fully synthetic, low ash" engine oil, such as Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W30. Well, that oil is difficult to get and very expensive. We are looking at three digit cost for an oil change.

You notice the word Euro, not just Pennzoil Ultra. The Euro has a HTHS (High Temperature, High Shear) viscosity rating of 3.5 @ 150 degrees. Most modern Euro Engines (diesel & gasoline) use oil with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. In some Euro countries you are talking $20 plus a liter. Well, I haven't seen too many oils (5W30) around here with that rating for less than $11.00

It seems when you attach "Euro" to a quart of oil, the price shoots up considerably. So there must be US oils of equal quality and specifications.

Any research anybody has done and what did you come up with?

skifast

·
Registered
693 Posts
I can only concur with shopboss' comments, better than expected.

The tightness and quietness of the truck is superb. We've got the Limited and there is just about any gadget you'd expect on any luxury vehicle. Our truck did show up without side steps. I reminded my dealer that this was standard equipment, the sales manager thought it was optional, though corrected himself very quickly after checking. Oh, well they will be here in a few days. Installed an American tonneau roll cover over the weekend (yes we are splurging a little, but I must before social security runs out). What a great working cover.

Did a little research on oil changes, Chrysler recommends a "fully synthetic, low ash" engine oil, such as Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W30. Well, that oil is difficult to get and very expensive. We are looking at three digit cost for an oil change.

You notice the word Euro, not just Pennzoil Ultra. The Euro has a HTHS (High Temperature, High Shear) viscosity rating of 3.5 @ 150 degrees. Most modern Euro Engines (diesel & gasoline) use oil with an HTHS of 3.5 or higher. In some Euro countries you are talking $20 plus a liter. Well, I haven't seen too many oils (5W30) around here with that rating for less than $11.00

It seems when you attach "Euro" to a quart of oil, the price shoots up considerably. So there must be US oils of equal quality and specifications.

Any research anybody has done and what did you come up with?

skifast
Are you sure of the HTHS 3.5 with Penzoil Ultra Euro 5w30? That's very high. The high end lines of Penzoil oils are pretty darn good, but I'd still have expected 3.1 not 3.5. That said, I'd be inclined to go a grade heavier. American oil specs tend to be lighter then the specs for the same car in Europe because our CAFE standard puts pressure on the OEMs to squeeze out every possible additional mpg fraction. A good 10W40 will get you a HTHS >4. Maybe a person would go to 5W40 or 5W30 if they had hard winters.

For non oil-geeks, HTHS #'s are the real enchilada for determining how well an oil is likely to protect crank bearings when there is insufficient oil "wedge" between steel and bearing.

Weight is a measure of viscosity, or the thickness of oil. A 40 weight is considerably thicker than a 20 weight. The whole "weight" classification system of XwY is a clumsy measure of viscosity because they ID a whole range of viscosities, so there are heavy Xw30's and light Xw30's. So your Xw30 might be a hairbreadth from a 20 weight and my Xw30 might be a hairbreadth from a 40 weight. This is a big deal because even a lousy 40 weight is going to have higher HTHS #'s then a pretty good 20 weight.

Here's a good primer on oil Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Excellent tip Redline, thanks.

Bob the oil guy's "Motor Oil 101" is very informative. I'll put my hands on Redline 5W20 for my first oil change whenever it becomes due.

skifast

1 - 20 of 24 Posts