RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New EcoDiesel owner from VA coming from '16 F-150 5.0. I drive a lot of miles and just over 2 years I put 87k miles on it. I saw an ED locally with a sticker of ~$59k on sale for ~$39k and couldn't resist at least a test drive at that price. I walked away from the dealer with a new truck for just over $40k with $1,775 down ($1k as a downpayment and $775 for gap insurance). I'm 30 and go through trucks like it's my job (due to my own ignorance not issue-related) and have only owned 2 vehicles in my life that weren't Ford, an 02 Civic in 2010 and an 07 or 09 Ram 1500 in 2013 and they were both hunks of junk. This will be my 3rd non-Ford vehicle, but my 1st new one and hoping for better results.

I drive 700 miles per week commuting to work and have an 18' car hauler mainly for four wheeler travel and a 30' Jayco travel trailer. Within the 15 months I owned the F-150, I pulled the flatbed over 6,100 miles and the camper over 4,700 miles. The 5.0 pulled both well enough but could use that extra little bit of torque (383ish for the 5.0 to 420 for the 3.0). I currently have 333 miles on it and am seeing 26.6 mpg on the WTM which isn't a bad start considering it'll only get better after break-in. I know absolutely NOTHING about these trucks and have been trying to take a crash course through this forum to find the right information. So far I've concluded that there are very specific oils to use, 5w40 that meets manufacturer's specs, but that's about it.

So far these are my ideas:
1. Tow mirrors - I have heated, power folding, chrome cladded, *I guess ambient temp?*, auto dimming, park-view, and blinker/spotlights. I was told I cannot get tow mirrors put on (due to codes) which sounds ridiculous considering this truck has a diesel and is built to work. I can't pull my travel trailer comfortably without tow mirrors, and don't want to put on extenders unless it's my only option. I don't care about parkview, or the chrome and am just wondering if the connectors are the same for tow mirrors without these options. I cannot seem to get a good picture of the connectors for the mirrors currently on, may have to take them off and see. I would like the dimming, blinker, and I guess need the ambient temp sensor.

2. Air Lift 1000 air helper bags - Had Firestone Ride-Rites on my F150 and made a world of difference pulling/hauling any kind of load. My Ram DOES NOT have auto leveling bags

3. 2" leveling kit - Also had one on my F150 to balance out the difference made by the airbags in the rear but still keep some factory rake (eventually a size or 2 bigger on tires, I hate the SRAs)

4. Removing some of the chrome - Too much for my taste. RAM and 1500 lettering on the sides, body-side molding on the sides, maybe Laramie and 4x4 badges on gate, and replacing stock Laramie grille with either paint-matched sport grille or rebel grille

5. Little things - molded floormats, tinted front windows, maybe oil drain valve

One thing that does have me concerned is the oil changes. I've seen how much people on this site pay for these things and I'll be doing it myself like I always did previously. For the F-150 I'd get 8 qts of Valvoline 5w20 Full Syn with a Fram OCOD filter. My idea for the EcoDiesel is 10.5 qts of Valvoline 5w40 Premium Blue Full Syn, and ____________ oil filter. I am not going to pay $40 per oil filter, that's ridiculous. I won't be using Fram most likely, but are there good cheaper options? As stated earlier, I drive a lot and would be changing the oil often.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all helped received during my time on this site, happy to be part of the "family".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just as a follow up, I have bought most everything I wanted for it in the thread opener. Installed HUSKY liners, tow mirrors, and air lift 1000 bags. The Air Lift bags took maybe an hour to install and was a little frustrating using only a floor jack but it all worked out in the end. The tow mirrors I was a little unsure of because of the options the new set didn't have compared to my oem set. The tow mirrors have a black textured backing, no parkview, and no power fold. It does have the white and black plugs like the oem set did, and after a quick YouTube video I was off and running. The power adjustment and LED marker lights work, along with the ambient temp sensor. I guess I'll have to wait an see about the heaters, but I have no doubts about it. I purchased them from 1A and they look and feel great. No whistling going down the road and no rattling.

I will tow the camper before I decide whether or not to install the 2" level, but as it sits unincumbered it looks like the bags may have lifted the rear end slightly and it could use a little front adjustment.

1,500 miles on the truck so far and I'm loving it. The WTM seems to guesstimate the fuel mileage a little higher than FUELLY calculates it, but it's still head and shoulders ahead of where my 5oh was.

·
Registered
12,794 Posts
Welcome.

There are aftermarket oil filters called EcoGuard for sale on Ebay. They seem to work for everybody and are far less expensive than factory ones. Though I did recommend them it's hard to be responsible if there are issues. I and many owners have used them and other aftermarket ones for years. There are other brands of aftermarket and some have had a few failures. don't recommend other ones because I do not remember the problematic names.

Your camper is a large one. When you tow remember that you are missing 2.0 L of engine compared to your old 5.0 L engine, though that was a gasser. Friend still has his Ford 5.0 but is on his second engine. His failed and blew apart. Had to buy a new one as it was just over 60,000 miles, all that Ford covers. Your Ecodiesel is covered for 100,000 miles. May you enjoy all of them and more.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new truck. Glad you are enjoying it so far. Ref towing your travel trailer there are a several good threads you should read. Vern diesel has a couple. Anyhow, I hope you are happy with how the truck tows. Remember it is horsepower that does the work and not torque.

You've joined at the slow time for the Forum with people off on vacation and enjoying summer.

All the best,

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Hello all,

New EcoDiesel owner from VA coming from '16 F-150 5.0. I drive a lot of miles and just over 2 years I put 87k miles on it. I saw an ED locally with a sticker of ~$59k on sale for ~$39k and couldn't resist at least a test drive at that price. I walked away from the dealer with a new truck for just over $40k with $1,775 down ($1k as a downpayment and $775 for gap insurance). I'm 30 and go through trucks like it's my job (due to my own ignorance not issue-related) and have only owned 2 vehicles in my life that weren't Ford, an 02 Civic in 2010 and an 07 or 09 Ram 1500 in 2013 and they were both hunks of junk. This will be my 3rd non-Ford vehicle, but my 1st new one and hoping for better results.

I drive 700 miles per week commuting to work and have an 18' car hauler mainly for four wheeler travel and a 30' Jayco travel trailer. Within the 15 months I owned the F-150, I pulled the flatbed over 6,100 miles and the camper over 4,700 miles. The 5.0 pulled both well enough but could use that extra little bit of torque (383ish for the 5.0 to 420 for the 3.0). I currently have 333 miles on it and am seeing 26.6 mpg on the WTM which isn't a bad start considering it'll only get better after break-in. I know absolutely NOTHING about these trucks and have been trying to take a crash course through this forum to find the right information. So far I've concluded that there are very specific oils to use, 5w40 that meets manufacturer's specs, but that's about it.

So far these are my ideas:
1. Tow mirrors - I have heated, power folding, chrome cladded, *I guess ambient temp?*, auto dimming, park-view, and blinker/spotlights. I was told I cannot get tow mirrors put on (due to codes) which sounds ridiculous considering this truck has a diesel and is built to work. I can't pull my travel trailer comfortably without tow mirrors, and don't want to put on extenders unless it's my only option. I don't care about parkview, or the chrome and am just wondering if the connectors are the same for tow mirrors without these options. I cannot seem to get a good picture of the connectors for the mirrors currently on, may have to take them off and see. I would like the dimming, blinker, and I guess need the ambient temp sensor.

2. Air Lift 1000 air helper bags - Had Firestone Ride-Rites on my F150 and made a world of difference pulling/hauling any kind of load. My Ram DOES NOT have auto leveling bags

3. 2" leveling kit - Also had one on my F150 to balance out the difference made by the airbags in the rear but still keep some factory rake (eventually a size or 2 bigger on tires, I hate the SRAs)

4. Removing some of the chrome - Too much for my taste. RAM and 1500 lettering on the sides, body-side molding on the sides, maybe Laramie and 4x4 badges on gate, and replacing stock Laramie grille with either paint-matched sport grille or rebel grille

5. Little things - molded floormats, tinted front windows, maybe oil drain valve

One thing that does have me concerned is the oil changes. I've seen how much people on this site pay for these things and I'll be doing it myself like I always did previously. For the F-150 I'd get 8 qts of Valvoline 5w20 Full Syn with a Fram OCOD filter. My idea for the EcoDiesel is 10.5 qts of Valvoline 5w40 Premium Blue Full Syn, and ____________ oil filter. I am not going to pay $40 per oil filter, that's ridiculous. I won't be using Fram most likely, but are there good cheaper options? As stated earlier, I drive a lot and would be changing the oil often.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all helped received during my time on this site, happy to be part of the "family".
Still have 2000 F150 and 2002 Excursion so I understand. Your former 5.0 is a beast however our generation RAM is superior IMO based on spring ride, interior, ZF 8 speed, and very distinctive exterior. I now have 156K in 20 months ownership...see my fuelly link below.

Leveled 4x4 when purchased...added Timbren passive springs and no WDH. Pull 8x24 cargo trailer for recreation with my X...rarely with my RAM. Would need tow mirrors IF the ED was primary locomotive.

STRONGLY encourage GDE tune b/c electronically shuts of EGR and quiets many CEL sensors other non GDE tuned truck seem to chronically suffer. Should raise MPG 2-3 and will pay for itself over time with the number of miles we run.

ENDLESS info here and testimonials and opposing opinions here for GDE...read through then...EMAIL AND CONVERSE DIRECTLY WITH GDE. Also i read many internet reviews away from this site and am very very thankful I bought the tune. 14 dealer oil change services and never detected based on VIN and our engine/injector codes they program into the exchanged ECM.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Welcome from Central Texas...:cool:

·
Super Moderator
2,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope you get as many trouble free miles with it as your last truck. As said above especially when towing remember it's only a 3.0L engine.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
I don't understand driving that many miles and hurting mileage by adding a 2" level. Your air bags shouldn't provide any lift when the truck is unloaded.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Some people just prefer the leveled look and are willing to pay the penalty at the pump. Personally I wouldn't do it because the stress it puts on the CV joints. I admit that it looks good.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Some people just prefer the leveled look and are willing to pay the penalty at the pump. Personally I wouldn't do it because the stress it puts on the CV joints. I admit that it looks good.
A mere level will not put the CV axles at a bad angle. They are dam near flat. Not a worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,035 Posts
With a 10k oil change interval per warranty I don't want an oil filter that is only rated for 5,000 miles. Generally per forum oil analysis the oil has not used up its additives, become too dirty etc by 10k but a filter ran past its warranty miles can collapse. I know I did it. I don't know what makes some rated longer if they are actually better or just warranted better. But I know I'm not running 5k filters for 10k. I may post warranty run two 10k warranted filters 7,500 miles each per oil change if oil analysis & my duty cycle allow for this as they have in the past. My first motor pushed out a head gasket at 371,500 but upon inspection it was done anyway though it ran great till its final day. I just came from forum sponsor Rockauto's site where I get my 10k warranted WIX filters and did notice they have a special on Premium Guard a 10k 12 month warranted filter for $4.31 each. I have no idea if this is a good filter just passing it on.

Beh you will like towing with the ED better than the 5.0 by a long shot. Read some of the tow threads and you will get a handle on smart enjoyable towing with the ED.
Nitro is for racing, Alcohol for drinking, Gas for washing parts, Diesel is for towing. :)

BTW Welcome and congrats!

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ram,2014,1500,3.0l+v6+diesel+turbocharged,3307186,engine,oil+filter,5340

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I appreciate all the kind words and advice. I have been doing some tooling around here and people seem to be pulling much heavier weight than I will without issue. I know that it's a smaller engine than the 5oh, but low end grunt the diesel and turbo provides should help greatly. I would love to do the GDE tuning, but I am very worried about warranty issues not being covered. I honestly don't know too much about it and plan on doing more research and figuring some things out. I don't plan on deleting it, at least until after warranty but maybe not even after.

As for the level, I've put them on every truck I've had because of the factory rake. While I always tried to keep a little in it, Fords seem to have a very aggressive one. I paid VERY close attention with the last truck before and after the level, and there wasn't a noticeable mileage decrease. Airbags, level, air-dam removal, exhaust, and cold air didn't seem to affect it. The only time I saw a change was with wheels/tires.

With the whole oil filter deal, I was looking for a high filtration percentage, the o-ring gasket high on the neck (not middle-low like the Cherokee), and for the paper to look like the MOPAR version. I found an STP S11794XL extended life oil filter at Autozone for $8.99. I think I'm going to give that one a shot. I'll still end up doing 5k miles per change because I'd rather be safe with whatever I use.

I appreciated f150forum once I found it for all of the assistance and tips it provided. I look forward to being here for a while. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts