RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm pretty excited! When I ordered my 16 I wanted a long box and 6 seats. That wasn't possible, so I gave up on the long box. Now I have one and no longer really need the 6th seat

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
I wish to get colour combination like your , but i was short of time and found another which was #2 in my list :)) I got one from mississauga dealer .

Снимок экрана 2020-06-10 в 10.17.45.png

My diesels team

Снимок экрана 2020-06-10 в 10.17.11.png

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
I wish to get colour combination like your , but i was short of time and found another which was #2 in my list :)) I got one from mississauga dealer .

View attachment 86592

My diesels team

View attachment 86593
Looks great! I am looking forward to the new design! I had a 2010 hemi, then 14, 16, 18 eco. They all had a very similar interior, so I'm happy to have a bit of a change after 10 years. I really like the new design on the exterior as well

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
My next one will be ordered just how I want it. So I like following your threads about this.
I’ll do 50-60k mikes a year so trying to figure out when the best time to trade will be.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My next one will be ordered just how I want it. So I like following your threads about this.
I’ll do 50-60k mikes a year so trying to figure out when the best time to trade will be.
If I put that many miles on my truck each year, I would order a truck exactly how I wanted it and drive it for four years or so, then order a second truck. That way if one truck was down for any reason, I would always have a backup. I would be like Vern, and rack up the miles!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
What are these trucks valued at with 200k miles?
It would depend on many factors including, but not limited to, the year and condition of the truck. A 5 year old truck (in good condition) with 200,000 miles may be worth $15,000 whereas a 10 year old truck (in good condition) with 200,000 miles may be worth $9,000 dollars. It's really hard to say for sure. In some ways, it's cheaper to keep a vehicle than to trade or sell.

The bigger question, at least for me, is how much money do I owe and how much money is going out the door. If I order a truck, exactly how I want it, I don't mind keeping and maintaining it for 15+ years. After 4 - 5 years of ownership, I can buy another truck and keep the first one as a backup, or to share the miles. That's the strategy I'm taking moving forward. By the time I retire, my wife and I will have several vehicles in the driveway paid off. I will also keep a certain amount of money set aside for repairs and maintenance.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah I’m guessing if I keep it 5 years and have 250,000 miles it will be worth about 10k. So after 5 years either keep it or trade it for 10k and shell out another 40k.
or trade and shell out 10k-15k in difference after trade every two years and get a new truck every two years:)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Yeah I’m guessing if I keep it 5 years and have 250,000 miles it will be worth about 10k. So after 5 years either keep it or trade it for 10k and shell out another 40k.
or trade and shell out 10k-15k in difference after trade every two years and get a new truck every two years:)
Well, I would buy a second truck at year 4, which means that I would be able to split the miles between two trucks at that point. The idea is to have a backup and keep debt at a minimum. You're still losing a lot of money by trading every two years, which is why I think keeping the truck, buying a second, would put you ahead of the game.

Are you writing your truck off as a business expense?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well, I would buy a second truck at year 4, which means that I would be able to split the miles between two trucks at that point. The idea is to have a backup and keep debt at a minimum. You're still losing a lot of money by trading every two years, which is why I think keeping the truck, buying a second, would put you ahead of the game.

Are you writing your truck off as a business expense?
my whole existence is a business write off lol

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
my whole existence is a business write off lol
I gotcha. Since I don't write off my vehicles, I don't know what all the advantages and disadvantages of keeping, trading, selling would be. I have a friend who owns a business. He makes enough money that he needs to keep adding new trucks to his fleet for tax purposes. So, he sometimes buys a new truck just to avoid paying more taxes.

I own several investment properties, but that is not my primary income, so I haven't started an LLC. I own a dump trailer, utility trailer, tractor/loader/backhoe, and truck that I use for real-estate development and landscaping. I make money, pay taxes, and keep going as normal. But since we travel in state and out of state a lot for personal, leisure, recreational, and investment purposes, we do need several trucks (Ram 1500 and Ram 2500/3500). And at this point in my life, I have found that trading/selling isn't in my financial interest. But I also understand that everyone is in a different chapter of life and not everyone's circumstances are the same!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I gotcha. Since I don't write off my vehicles, I don't know what all the advantages and disadvantages of keeping, trading, selling would be. I have a friend who owns a business. He makes enough money that he needs to keep adding new trucks to his fleet for tax purposes. So, he sometimes buys a new truck just to avoid paying more taxes.

I own several investment properties, but that is not my primary income, so I haven't started an LLC. I own a dump trailer, utility trailer, tractor/loader/backhoe, and truck that I use for real-estate development and landscaping. I make money, pay taxes, and keep going as normal. But since we travel in state and out of state a lot for personal, leisure, recreational, and investment purposes, we do need several trucks (Ram 1500 and Ram 2500/3500). And at this point in my life, I have found that trading/selling isn't in my financial interest. But I also understand that everyone is in a different chapter of life and not everyone's circumstances are the same!
get yourself incorporated. With what you do you can pass a lot of stuff through your business. S-Corp is better then an LLC

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
get yourself incorporated. With what you do you can pass a lot of stuff through your business. S-Corp is better then an LLC
Well, I was really looking at doing it last year, but my tax lady talked me out of it. She did recommend the S-Corp over LLC, but she ultimately advised against it, at least temporarily. I can't remember all the reasons why she talked me out of it, but there was one reason that stood out. She said that I don't have consistent income to really benefit from doing it. Had I bought rental properties and earning monthly income, that would be a more ideal scenario. Historically, we buy mountain property to develop and resale, but I might go years without selling one, or I might sell two in one year. So, I'm now thinking about buying some rental property.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts