RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Romik steps, which I loved, had a diamond plate tread which was painted with urethane and began pealing and rusting last year. While they were lifetime guaranteed Romik required me to return them to CA and they couldn't tell me if they were going to refurb them or send me something else or if they even had something that would fit. I decided that rather than spend the time and money packing them up and shipping them for an uncertain outcome, I was going to refinish them myself.

Long story short I did strip them and refinish with a silver urethane bed liner. The diamond plate was attached to studs on the polished stainless steel tube and I had already lost one of the studs because the factory had used a bolt in it's place and I could do nothing with it except grind it off. So as I was installing the plates I snapped a stud....with not much force. Then another and then another. So now I had four out of the ten attachment points missing so that was the last straw.

Went online to AutoAnything and found these 5" oval bars by Black Horse Offroad. Again lifetime warranty for whatever that's worth and $330 delivered.

I received them in two days...great! Opened the box and loved the look of the bars so I proceeded to lay everything out for the install. The instructions looked very similar to the mounting of my Romik's but ther was a problem. The brackets they sent me looked nothing like in the install instructions. Called Black Horse in NYC on Friday, uploaded pics of the brackets and then no response from them. Called again on Monday and it was like starting all over. Took about 10 pics of everything they sent me and emailed it to them at 9:30am as they said they would mail out the right stuff that same day....5pm, no callback so I called again. The CS Rep had never even opened the email and now there was no tech to look at it. She said she's get it to the tech on Tuesday. Called at 11am on Tuesday and the rep said there wasn't any tech but she would send me some instructions for those brackets...which she did.

I had a total of 12 brackets, 6 large and 6 small and the partial instructions she sent did show me how to attach the small brackets so I began installing them late Tuesday morning. I had to remove the old Romik Brackets which were substantially more robust then the new ones...then the storm hit and I had to leave it half done.

After the storm passed I was able to get the bar on but it was close. The end brackets had to be installed all the way to the end of the slots, towards the front and the back and even then I had to forcibly pry things to get the holes on the bar to line up but it eventually fit,

The second side was done this morning in the sunshine and went easier as one would expect but the whole job took more than twice as long as the original Romik steps.

I don't believe the install is as robust as it should be and neither was the customer service so I would not buy from Black Horse Offroad again.

blackhorseoffroad2.jpg
blackhorseoffroad1.jpg

·
Registered
236 Posts
sorry to hear you had so much trouble with install and support, that's just about the most important thing to customers when buying things like this but surprisingly few companies put forth an effort in those areas. The steps look good though (y)

·
Registered
2017 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel 4x4 Quad Cab 3.55 Gears
997 Posts
I have bars just like it, but black painted. They were cheap to buy.

I've have had to repaint in spots from rust, they are not the best.

I'm looking at the supports, that angle iron that likes to catch when going down a dirt road. Just like mine, I have to be careful.

As the saying goes; "Cheap Charley pays twice!"

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My first set of bars were expensive and made better than these, but only lasted 5 years They had similar brackets but they were not the issue. As a matter of fact none of my aftermarket addons have lasted and have all been replaced with something else, and none were cheap. Pretty disappointing.

Reactions: sourdo
1 - 4 of 4 Posts