RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new engine delivered and was surprised to see that the Built date is Feb 2020.
Has anyone else

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
126 Posts
Just got my new engine delivered and was surprised to see that the Built date is Feb 2020.
Has anyone else View attachment 89471
Wow, I ordered mine in April 2020, and it came with sticker that showed a built date in March 2020. Yours was built a year ago as well! They must have done a whole bunch of them to just be sitting like that in a warehouse.
...I though EDs are exploding left and right, that VM can not make them fast enough...

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it from these guys: Performance Delivered - Mopar Powertrain.
I called a few other dealerships and they all said that Mopar lets you only order one per week and they have orders lined up for like a week or two.
Moparpowertrain.com must have ordered hundreds of those engines I guess, who knows.
Ordered it on Thursday and they delivered it on next Tuesday, that was pretty fast.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the old engine has either a cracked head, a warped head or a bad head gasket or who knows what, when I was towing I would loose a lot of coolant from the degas bottle pressure relief tube. I had a pressure gauge hooked up to my cooling system and was watching the pressure go up under load. The coolant cap is rated at 21 PSI and under load it would go to 25 and then drop and stay at 21Psi.
The second thing started this winter, I would get the engine shudder in the mornings under certain conditions.
If I was to drive the truck normally I would be just fine. Once I had my coolant level go low and that might be the reason behind it.
Took me two months to get it to Ram to look at it, because mine has a rebuilt title and I had to get the Ecodiesel settlement lawyers involved. I was hoping to use the extended warranty.
Took it there told them all the symptoms and where the coolant comes out of, I even had the bottle there to collect the coolant that is coming out of that little degas bottle pressure relief hose.

The tech was maybe 25-26 year old and him and the service advisor come back and tell me that I have a leaking water pump and to replace it would cost $1700 WOTHOUT ANY GUARANTEE, that this will fix my problem. I told them I will pay you, but give me a guarantee that my problem will be fixed. They said "NO GUARANTEE". there was a little, I mean very little stain under the water pump, but no streaks of coolant leaking or anything else. The pump started going maybe because of the higher pressures in the cooling system. The tech said he has 3 trucks in the shop for water pump replacements, a 60,000, a 70,000 and a 90,000 miles trucks.
They could not replicate the engine shudder, even I after I showed them video of the RPM fluctuating, they said they will have to research on that one. Mine is a 2015, and there is a recall for the 2014 for the exact same problem they replace both of the heads because of sticking valves. The heads on my 2015 truck are manufactured in 2014 they have a stamp on them.
Anyway I gave up on fighting with Ram, I was going to change the heads and head gaskets, I gave up on that one too and decided to go with a brand new engine.

·
Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Ecodiesel
126 Posts
Well, the old engine has either a cracked head, a warped head or a bad head gasket or who knows what, when I was towing I would loose a lot of coolant from the degas bottle pressure relief tube. I had a pressure gauge hooked up to my cooling system and was watching the pressure go up under load. The coolant cap is rated at 21 PSI and under load it would go to 25 and then drop and stay at 21Psi.
The second thing started this winter, I would get the engine shudder in the mornings under certain conditions.
If I was to drive the truck normally I would be just fine. Once I had my coolant level go low and that might be the reason behind it.
Took me two months to get it to Ram to look at it, because mine has a rebuilt title and I had to get the Ecodiesel settlement lawyers involved. I was hoping to use the extended warranty.
Took it there told them all the symptoms and where the coolant comes out of, I even had the bottle there to collect the coolant that is coming out of that little degas bottle pressure relief hose.

The tech was maybe 25-26 year old and him and the service advisor come back and tell me that I have a leaking water pump and to replace it would cost $1700 WOTHOUT ANY GUARANTEE, that this will fix my problem. I told them I will pay you, but give me a guarantee that my problem will be fixed. They said "NO GUARANTEE". there was a little, I mean very little stain under the water pump, but no streaks of coolant leaking or anything else. The pump started going maybe because of the higher pressures in the cooling system. The tech said he has 3 trucks in the shop for water pump replacements, a 60,000, a 70,000 and a 90,000 miles trucks.
They could not replicate the engine shudder, even I after I showed them video of the RPM fluctuating, they said they will have to research on that one. Mine is a 2015, and there is a recall for the 2014 for the exact same problem they replace both of the heads because of sticking valves. The heads on my 2015 truck are manufactured in 2014 they have a stamp on them.
Anyway I gave up on fighting with Ram, I was going to change the heads and head gaskets, I gave up on that one too and decided to go with a brand new engine.
Wow, what a story! Highly doubt dealer knew what they were doing, they were just throwing out something to satisfy you...
Very unfortunate it had to come to replacing engine, but at least you'll get a new one!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Sorry to hear about the hassles, though. I think buying a new engine was a smart move on your part!

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Highly doubt dealer knew what they were doing, they were just throwing out something
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I will say what I say often. I live in diesel country. There's a good amount of EcoDiesel Rams, Cherokees, Wranglers, and Gladiators in my area. My dealer has 4 full time diesel techs. 3 work on the Cummins and the other tech works full time on the EcoDiesel. He is really good at diagnosing and repairing the EcoDiesel. The best part is that he never complains, he is very positive, he never has anything bad to say about the EcoDiesel, and he is meticulous about the work. After spending some time on this forum, I have come to realize that I'm VERY fortunate to have a great diesel tech.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts