RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm supposed to pick up my 2014 Ecodiesel with a newly installed new MOPAR Crate engine today. Engine blew June 28th with 125,000-miles and 4,000-miles after AEM. I bought the truck used in 2017 with 73,000-miles on it, and I'm sure it had the 5w-30 oil for the first 3-years until they updated the oil-spec. Up until 2021, I had the GDE non-EPA compliant tune, and switched to the EPA-compliant tune after the AEM. I am really hoping to get into the 300,000-mile range on this new crate engine. Fortunately with GDE, I just have to pay a $50 fee to get the tune updated for the new engine. Driving one of these trucks without a tune is a no-go in my book...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not trying to be cross-wise and you may well be right, but you can read very different opinions on this very forum, especially in the failure rate section. I don't know if it did or did not. Just put it in the original post as there is a definite school of thought on this forum around the impact of 30 weight oil on the '14 Ecodiesel failure rate. Also, from reading this forum, the failure rate decreased with the TSB changing the spec.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The opinions on 5w-30 being a root cause issue of engine failures aren't backed by any actual fact so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The opinions on 5w-30 being a root cause issue of engine failures aren't backed by any actual fact so take it with a grain of salt.
Ok then. I am more inclined to blame the impact of the AEM than oil. I'd never had a CEL prior to the AEM.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ok then. I am more inclined to blame the impact of the AEM than oil. I'd never had a CEL prior to the AEM.
I have read multiple threads on this forum of people having blown engines relatively soon after AEM but once again, no actual evidence that was the cause either, it's strange indeed. Think about it, if 5w-30 damaged your bearings in some way, do you think the truck would have ran fine until 125,000 miles and who knows how many hours? lol

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have read multiple threads on this forum of people having blown engines relatively soon after AEM but once again, no actual evidence that was the cause either, it's strange indeed. Think about it, if 5w-30 damaged your bearings in some way, do you think the truck would have ran fine until 125,000 miles and who knows how many hours? lol
Right... But within 4,000-miles of AEM? That smells bad...rotten.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Here's some more after AEM

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Lot's of opinions on what, where, and how for the 2014 - 2016 engines, the initial oil while it didn't provide maximum protection it was revisited by FCA and updated. Sorry about your engine fail, buying used is always a gamble its a guess not knowing the prior owners treatment of your truck clearly not everyone understands diesels much less is prepared to do a bit of homework to drive and maintain it properly.

I've seen a lot of opinions on the 'weak' spot and so called 'bulletproofing' on this site, i've also seen a lot of one and done posters, trolls, as you would on any forum. Of course it's fair to be upset if a major issue surfaces that puts one in a bind its reminds me of something an old mechanic called me out on, he said think of the greatest engine you think is out there doesn't matter the brand, year, or displacement......yeah there's someone out there who has had it fail on them anything that is mechanical can and will fail it's just some happen sooner than others for a number of reasons.

I think you're off to great a start with the GDE tune, its well recognized not for just the efficiencies it brings but overall preventative maintenance for these unique engines, here's to looking forward to much more than over 300k on your new motor its very much possible ask @VernDiesel he's a great guy with who's helped us all in so many ways and continues to show what this engine is capable of.

Best of Luck!

~Joe

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lot's of opinions on what, where, and how for the 2014 - 2016 engines, the initial oil while it didn't provide maximum protection it was revisited by FCA and updated. Sorry about your engine fail, buying used is always a gamble its a guess not knowing the prior owners treatment of your truck clearly not everyone understands diesels much less is prepared to do a bit of homework to drive and maintain it properly.

I've seen a lot of opinions on the 'weak' spot and so called 'bulletproofing' on this site, i've also seen a lot of one and done posters, trolls, as you would on any forum. Of course it's fair to be upset if a major issue surfaces that puts one in a bind its reminds me of something an old mechanic called me out on, he said think of the greatest engine you think is out there doesn't matter the brand, year, or displacement......yeah there's someone out there who has had it fail on them anything that is mechanical can and will fail it's just some happen sooner than others for a number of reasons.

I think you're off to great a start with the GDE tune, its well recognized not for just the efficiencies it brings but overall preventative maintenance for these unique engines, here's to looking forward to much more than over 300k on your new motor its very much possible ask @VernDiesel he's a great guy with who's helps us all in so many ways and continues to show what this engine is capable of.

Best of Luck!

~Joe
Thanks, Joe! I've definitely outlived the "one-and-done" having driving an Ecodiesel since 2014. I don't post a ton here because frankly speaking, prior to the AEM I had almost zero troubles. I made the decision to drop the coin on a new crate and I'm confident I'll get the mileage out of it to justify the expenditure.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Thanks, Joe! I've definitely outlived the "one-and-done" having driving an Ecodiesel since 2014. I don't post a ton here because frankly speaking, prior to the AEM I had almost zero troubles. I made the decision to drop the coin on a new crate and I'm confident I'll get the mileage out of it to justify the expenditure.
Here's to many years of service out of her, after you drop in the new motor it's really like you've got a new truck with so many major plus's, you'll have so much more knowledge than those of us who were the 'guinea pigs' early adopters with the added confidence that Gen 2 has proven. Just a suggestion but while you have that engine out, spend a few dollars and drop in a new Tone Wheel and Sensor the wheel is cheap and the sensor of course is optional.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's to many years of service out of her, after you drop in the new motor it's really like you've got a new truck with so many major plus's, you'll have so much more knowledge than those of us who were the 'guinea pigs' early adopters with the added confidence that Gen 2 has proven. Just a suggestion but while you have that engine out, spend a few dollars and drop in a new Tone Wheel and Sensor the wheel is cheap and the sensor of course is optional.
Curious about that. Isn't the tone wheel part of the engine? According to the Part 573 Recall Report, the suspect tone wheels were part of the engines manufactured from Sept 2014 through March 7th, 2018. I'm assuming as many engines FCA has went through, this crate is probably a 2020 or even 2021 manufacture date, but I'll verify shortly.

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
its unlikely that either the 5-30 or the AEM caused the issue. There is an argument that either helped or hurt but i think the prevailing thoughts here are that at assembly, the engine's lifetime is baked. Perfectly maintained powerplants were eating themselves from 20k - 120k.

My personal take is that there is some kind of assembly issue OR harmonic problem that presents under certain circumstances and the engine nukes itself.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its unlikely that either the 5-30 or the AEM caused the issue. There is an argument that either helped or hurt but i think the prevailing thoughts here are that at assembly, the engine's lifetime is baked. Perfectly maintained powerplants were eating themselves from 20k - 120k.

My personal take is that there is some kind of assembly issue OR harmonic problem that presents under certain circumstances and the engine nukes itself.
I'm sure hoping the engines they're turning out in 2020 and 2021 for the '14 - '16s have seen that issue resolved.

·
Registered
457 Posts

A small number of engines failed, to read this forum you would think every ecodiesel ever built has or is going to fail when the truth of the matter is the majority of ecodiesels will never suffer a lower end bearing issue. The original 5w-30 oil spec showed that the percentage ecodiesels failing was at a point that it was no longer tolerable and an investigation and change had to be made, the investigation was done and the change was updating the oil spec to 40 weight oil, after that the failure rate went way down.

As the other poster said name any engine that you think is great and someone can show you some of them that have blown up for one reason or another. No engine made is immune from failing.

Like the video on lubrication I posted said, buy the best oil you can afford at the very least then buy a better oil. That is from a bearing manufacture.

What is a perfectly maintained engine, you can use a cheap oil that will shear and blow up an engine yet you changed the oil on time every time so that would fit your description of a perfectly maintained engine yet it still failed.

Remember that the bigger the spread between the first winter number vs the actual oil weight the more viscosity enhancers have to be used and viscosity enhancers shear which lowers the viscosity of the oil overall. That is one of the advantages of a Group V Ester synthetic oil is many use a bare minimum of viscosity enhancers and some don't need any at all because Group V Ester oils flow so well at low temperatures and resist shear to begin with.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
A small number of engines failed, to read this forum you would think every ecodiesel ever built has or is going to fail when the truth of the matter is the majority of ecodiesels will never suffer a lower end bearing issue. The original 5w-30 oil spec showed that the percentage ecodiesels failing was at a point that it was no longer tolerable and an investigation and change had to be made, the investigation was done and the change was updating the oil spec to 40 weight oil, after that the failure rate went way down.

As the other poster said name any engine that you think is great and someone can show you some of them that have blown up for one reason or another. No engine made is immune from failing.

Like the video on lubrication I posted said, buy the best oil you can afford at the very least then buy a better oil. That is from a bearing manufacture.

What is a perfectly maintained engine, you can use a cheap oil that will shear and blow up an engine yet you changed the oil on time every time so that would fit your description of a perfectly maintained engine yet it still failed.

Remember that the bigger the spread between the first winter number vs the actual oil weight the more viscosity enhancers have to be used and viscosity enhancers shear which lowers the viscosity of the oil overall. That is one of the advantages of a Group V Ester synthetic oil is many use a bare minimum of viscosity enhancers and some don't need any at all because Group V Ester oils flow so well at low temperatures and resist shear to begin with.
Sorry, is this like a canned answer? I don't recall saying anything like: "so that would fit your description of a perfectly maintained engine yet it still failed." I did point out the probably early use of 30-weight oil, but didn't try to make the case that was the root cause of my blown engine. If you're just trying to help, then thanks. I get the sense I'm being lectured though.

I would point out that any effort to paint the Ecodiesel as typical failure rate seems off to me. I don't have access to the stats, other than what I've read on this forum. I can tell you I've driven a diesel VW Jetta for years, since '06, and they never changed their spec-oil for that engine. I also get that anytime one frequents a forum of this type, you're only going to see the negative experiences. That said, I still call BS that the Ecodiesel had a typical failure rate. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and no intent to offend you by my wrongness. :)

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
TX with a GDE EGR off tune & T6 my crate went 423k with hard service life. EGR Cooler delete to remove the low coolant risk I bet you are good well past 300k. Will stay tuned for your progress.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts