RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's too many BS stories out there about promising engine innovations so I have to hope this isn't one of them. And the idea came from our tax dollars!

See the Sandia Labs news release below about a simple and innovative fuel injection idea that adds fuel spray ducting to accurately direct fuel in the combustion chamber with the goal of reducing engine soot by 50-100%, decoupling NOx/soot design trade off, using less fuel, possibly requiring no emissions equipment, reducing production and operating cost, and engine manufacturers are interested.

These are the types of ideas that make sense. Less is more!

·
Registered
12,651 Posts
Read that a couple times and gave up. Think that is what is done now. I mean direct injection with sensors to measure air density and optimize the injection patterns. Then they go into the EGR system and talk of using that mess to help. Heck, if the injection was so optimized they would not need that EGR mess.

Sure would be nice for both operators and environmentalists if diesel emissions can be reduced without all this after-market emissions junk. Just not thinking it will happen and if it did, would we even notice an environmental change?

My guess it's an idea looking for a financial backer so they can make a profit. That would then be the measure for success, not if it actually worked.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've read, prior to production injector patterns are tested and compared for a compromised solution. There's even patents out on injector pattern designs but they still aren't perfect as the pattern doesn't change and they push too much fuel. Modulating the injections feathers the flow for power, noise, fuel economy, etc but the injector flow pattern is the injector flow pattern.

I wouldn't trust the big three to do much more than try to improve the status quo. And that means slapping more junk on an engine so they can sell, repair, and replace more subsystems.

There's some nice charts and simulations in this video.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
In the earliest days FI was one big nozzle, not unlike the windshield washer. They are now multiple nozzles, with injectors tuned specifically to each engine and cylinder.
I'm not reading anything n the article that I haven't seen before.

Wonder if they are hiding something...

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's patented so the details are publicly available.

I don't have anything recent to go on with F1 fuel injectors other than a 2017 F1 video mentioning use of a single central fuel injector. It doesn't mention ducting or multiple injector orifices. I guess things could always have changed in 2018 and 2019.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
"A fuel injection system, comprising: a fuel injector comprising a plurality of openings, wherein a fuel is injected through the openings into a combustion chamber of an engine; and a plurality of ducts located in the combustion chamber, each duct formed from a hollow tube, wherein each duct is aligned with a respective opening in the openings such that the fuel exiting the openings of the fuel injector is injected through the hollow tubes and into the combustion chamber, wherein passage of the fuel through the hollow tubes causes charge-gas present in the combustion chamber to be drawn into the hollow tubes thereby mixing the injected fuel with the charge-gas. "

Here's a link to the the Sandia Lab patent.

And some drawings and pictures...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts