1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SLT 4x4 Quadcab 3.53 with a cap
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,912 Posts
If they correct all the things speculated in the article, it could be a real winner. Now if they can do it without an EGR system it would really be a super winner.

Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Attended Auto show in JAX this Spring. The 3.0 was in GMC equivalent of Tahoe and Suburban.
Closest option to my X in 17 years and there was a line waiting to experience the diesel.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I read on another site that the BabyMax (2.8) is gone for the Colorado/Canyon. They are only offering a single engine with multiple tunes to vary the HP/torque. No more 6' bed either.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,600 Posts
Feel like the whole premise of this post is negative. Nobody posted that ram dumped the 14-19 motor for the new one, they revised it not dropped it. I don’t see how the timing or oil belt is the reason at all as likely none or near none have that many miles. Sounds like a hell of a package to me.

·
Registered
2015 Longhorn 3500 Cummins, 2022 1500 Longhorn ECODiesel
140 Posts
It looks to me like GM updated the engine from the lessons learned from the first generation. I'm not a fan of their interiors, RAM spoiled me, but in the future, just maybe, GM will figure it out. Here is a link to an interview with a GM engineer discussing the new version.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,600 Posts
That was one thing I loved about how ram handles the ecodiesel. I’m always interested in the option motor/transmission etc but I want a base trim truck. I love my tradesman and would be happy with lesser creature comforts… but I would love a real oil pressure gauge etc.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
The only GM 3.0L owner that I knew personally had transmission issues. The dealer took it back and put her in a Ram.

·
Registered
573 Posts
The only GM 3.0L owner that I knew personally had transmission issues. The dealer took it back and put her in a Ram.
I was going to mention the substandard transmission, but I already picked on them for over loading up their options ... hey, but you do get that 7 function tailgate (only available on the highest priced trucks).

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,600 Posts
Other than saying so what makes the gm transmission substandard?

After driving and towing with both I would pick the gm trans. It’s equally as smooth and the extra gears are nice. The zf has way to big a step from 2nd to 3rd gear and I hate the takeoff in first gear, not sure if that is specifically from the GDE trans tune or stock is like that too though.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,763 Posts
My issue with GM is that while I'm sure the engine is top tier, they will only offer it with their top tier truck too. The few the dealers will get will have every bell and whistle on the truck with a price to match.
That is an issue but I bought at the top of the Ram offerings and will add that GM didn't have anything equivalent to the Laramie package when I bought my 17. Diesel was not an option for any other 1500/150 at that time.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I also only know 1 person with the GM 3.0 in a 2020 Chevy. He loves it, says he consistently get upper 20s for mileage and it has plenty of pep. I will say he's one of those guys who everything just works out for :)

·
Super Moderator
4,135 Posts
Motorbiscut is click bait IMO. They never seem to do any fact checking etc. More often it seems they parrot errors to attract "traffic".

I suspect the new engine is going to be great and I would bet they have or are getting the transmission quirks worked out. Every other plastic or electronic thing on the truck is still gm questionable to me. 50k plus mile GMs seem to have never ending minor issues for what the past 20 years. See any general automotive shop mechanic. That said I hope it does well and they sell the crap out of this motor. GM revamped and addressed their issues after 3 years. It took Ram 6 years. Although the ED issues were deeper and required a much more serious revamp.

I don't like that the GMs cannot be tuned such as for improving the exhaust brake and cruise control operations. That said I like the power; 305 HP 495 TQ. I see EOC dyno sheet (with only a stage 1 tune) shows 50 HP and 30 ish torque at the wheels. Since Rams ED is rated 260 HP 480 TQ I suppose this would conservatively translate to about 310 HP 510 TQ. Pretty comparable. Naturally you would not have to contend with EGR on a tuned truck. Still you would likely need the 3.92 gear to outperform the GM. Or the 3.21 to meet the fuel economy. Looks like once the ED is gone in the 1500 that this will become the go to for the niche market or people who can really benefit from the small diesels.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I guess VernDiesel said it the best "quirks". I've got several racing friends who tow with a new model GM and a notable amount of them report issues with the transmission that have required them to take it back to the dealer. 1 such racer got stranded in Maine a couple years back because the transmission died in the middle of nowhere. Yes antidotal, but they act like it was somewhat common.

·
Registered
2015 Longhorn 3500 Cummins, 2022 1500 Longhorn ECODiesel
140 Posts
I've got several racing friends who tow with a new model GM and a notable amount of them report issues with the transmission
How many is several and what number does notable represent? Based on these numbers against the sales volume (of all I6/10-speed powertrains), what is the percentage?

I'm not implying there aren't issues with the 10-speed tranny, I drove a 2021 Denali 1500 I6 Duramax last spring, it was a brand new vehicle and I noticed the transmission didn't shift as I would expect but then, the vehicle had 4 miles on it and I would think the tranny was still in an adapter learn mode.

I ended up buying a 2022 ED, at first, the 8-speed acted a little off but quickly resolved itself well before 500 miles. This is my second ZF 8-speed and I think the ZF is the best tranny out there. I would love to see it bolted to the Cummins in the HDs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts